SSDI How far do they go back and pay you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dc1980, Mar 14, 2007.

1. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

Just wondering....When you are granted your SSDI - how far do they go back and pay you from? From the onset of your disability? Or do they go by years? Anyone know how that part works?

Thank you,
    dc
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

is what you get even close to what it says you will get on your SS statements?
  3. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I think it is one year from date of first application. That is what the Allsup lady told me. I just called and waiting for their packet to get this rolling.
  4. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

My brain fog's been so bad that I can't remember the answers. But , I'll bump my "SSD Reform Petition" post....

If you go to the bottom of the petition , you'll see a clickable link to the SSD Coalition. You will be able to find or get accurate answers from that site.

Blessings ,

b/c
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

The ALJ judge is the one that decided how far back I would get paid.She went back 2 years and a day.

She actually said that she would be a minute while she figured out how far back to go.

Than I got my bench approval going back the 2 years and one day.

Sue
  6. LADYBUG2

LADYBUG2 New Member

1 year back pay ...from the date I applyed.
    Ladybug2
  7. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

they will go back. Mine went back to my 50th birthday. I had left work in Oct and my birthday was in Dec and that is where he went back to. I dont know the reason why but thats what I got.

Suzette
  8. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

This is interesting - as I thought it was 12 months too but have read other posts for backdated payments. But wouldn't the really long backdated payments be for those who have been waiting for so long - like multiple appeals and/or going before a judge? What if over the last year or two you have been ill, going to doctors trying to figure out what is wrong and could not work but just recently got diagnosed with FM, etc., along with doctor support that you can not work? How do they determine your actual date of disability?
  9. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I just got approved so I know it's five months after the date they decide you're disabled. For me they decided my date of being disabled was my last day of work. That was when I went on FMLA and never came back. That's also what I had listed on my application as my date of disability. You aren't supposed to be able to apply until after being disabled for 5 months, so that was where the five months comes in.

This is what my notice of award said,

"You are entitled to monthly disability benefits beginning Sept 2005.

The Date you Became Disbaled:

We found that you bacme disabled under our rules on March 14, 2005.

However, you have to be disabled for 5 full calender months in a row before you can be entitled to benefits. For these reasons, your first month of entitlement to benefits is September 2005.

So I got 18 months back pay. there is no such thing as 12 months as far as I know. It's a fed agency so it should apply to everyone. You can get years of backpay. I got what my last statement from Social Security said I would get if I was disabled + the yearly standard of living increase (a pittance)

You can request a statement on the Social Security Web site to see what your payment would be. I got my statement within a couple of weeks. I requested one when i decided to apply. Usually they just send them every 2 years. It's the same forms that tell you what you're retirement benefits are.

I got SSD on my 2nd try.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
  10. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

I bumped my post where accurate information could be obtained. By the time you finally get a decision , you wiil get the option to appeal. Many times , the decision is not accurate. It is too common that people just accept the decision they received and just take what was offered.

The system does take advantage of sick and injured people. That is another reason that the petition is a good thing to become involved in and add your signature.

Blessings ,

b/c
  11. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi dc1980!
    the "12 month rule" that you hear about (SSA will tell you this time limit on the phone, also) is from the date of APPLICATION, not approval. So, someone that applied in 1 month,denied 3 mon. later, waited 2 years for hearing will be entitled to 2 years and 4 months back pay, assuming they had already met the 5 month waiting period.
    I just read someones post about the tax implications, though--SCARY!! take care--L