SSDI how to?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nellie2, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Nellie2

    Nellie2 New Member

    I read a message a while back that gave instructions about applying for SSDI. I of course lost it in a "fog" moment.

    Does anyone now how I can find it? I need to apply very quickly to be considered eligible. My husband's job is in grave danger - his company may close down. I worked for 20 years straight until my youngest child was born.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.


  2. jeanderek

    jeanderek New Member

    the SSA website you can find a number there that you can call in the morning and get the ball rolling, they will give you a time for a phone interview and send the paper work in the mail. The website is the same as the letters SSA. all the info is there

    good luck
  3. jeanderek

    jeanderek New Member

    you can apply by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. Our representatives there can make an appointment for your application to be taken over the telephone or at any convenient Social Security office.

    What you will need to go with your application
    your Social Security number;
    your birth certificate or other evidence of your date of birth;
    your military discharge papers, if you were in the military service;
    your spouse's birth certificate and Social Security number if he or she is applying for benefits;
    your children's birth certificates and Social Security numbers if they are applying for benefits; and
    your checking or savings account information, so your benefits can be directly deposited;
    names, addresses, and phone numbers of doctors, hospitals, clinics, and institutions that treated you and dates of treatment;
    names of all medications you are taking;
    medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics, and caseworkers;
    laboratory and test results;
    a summary of where you worked in the past 15 years and the kind of work you did;
    a copy of your W-2 Form (Wage and Tax Statement), or if you are self-employed, your federal tax return for the past year;
    dates of prior marriages if your spouse is applying
    The documents presented as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence since we cannot verify their authenticity. Do not delay filing for benefits just because you do not have all of the information you need. The Social Security office will be glad to help you.

    Best of luck

    This information was taken from the SSA website

    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2003]
  4. Tattoopixie

    Tattoopixie New Member

    You may also want to use the purple link at the top of this page to go to 'disability' to read the info there & search this message board (ssdi or ssi or benefits) w/the box at the top of the page. Good luck to you!