SSDI - I got it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aquabugs, Dec 8, 2006.

1. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Good morning all!

I just wanted to share the news that I was approved for SSDI. I haven't gotten a letter yet, but they deposited back pay into my account yesterday.

It's funny though, it feels like a let-down in a way. I guess it's just that now I am "proven" to be disabled, I can't deny it to myself anymore. Stupid, huh? I'm happy that the fight is over, but....I have been trying to convince myself that this will go away and I will be able to go back to work.

I have been very lucky, as I have not had to fight for my SSDI benefits for a terribly long time. I was eliglible last March and won on my first appeal. Maybe this will give hope to some others who are waiting.

Take care all. I suppose today I will get to catch up on some bills that we have had to put off, pay back family members who have helped us out these past few months. And if we have some left over, I'll be able to get some supplies for my glass studio.

I think I am getting happy now!! LOL

Thanks for listening to my little vent...and take heart to those who are waiting. They do sometimes give approvals without you having to wait for years.

HUGS to all
    Sylvia
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2006]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Glad you got your SSDI approval. Is a great relief, I know.

I read your BIO and see that your job was environmental, working as a fresh water biologist. Are you familiar with the work of Dr. Ritchie Schoemaker? His website can be found at chronicneurotoxins, (with the appropriate suffix).

This is just one article in his library, and may offer a clue to your health issues. If this applied to you, he has a very effective treatment using Cholestyramine, an old school cholesterol lowering drug. Here is the article:

Pfiesteria - The Organism that Opened the Door to the World of Chronic, Biotoxin-Induced Illness
    The chronic, neurotoxin-mediated human illness that results from acquisition of toxins made by the fish killing dinoflagellate Pfiesteria piscicida - and all its many relatives - was the first to be successfully diagnosed by VCS and successfully treated with toxin binding medications. This web site shows how the syndrome, termed Possible Estuary Associated Syndrome (PEAS) by the US CDC, and many others that are similar in mechanism of toxin action and similar in the diversity of systemic symptoms can be successfully treated with similar protocols.
    Pfiesteria is present in estuaries from New Jersey to Texas (and recently discovered in Norway) where the downstream flow of rivers, loaded with agricultural chemicals, meets the incoming tide. Attack zones, sites where people repeatedly can get sick, are found in the loamy silt sediments of the deposition sides of slowly flushing rivers. Seemingly minor exposure to these attack zones, with or without the presence of dead fish or fish with lesions, can result in prolonged difficulty with short term memory, muscle aches, diarrhea, abdominal pain, shortness of breath and many more symptoms. Many patients incorrectly blame their PEAS illness on alternative diagnoses such as irritable bowel syndrome, environmental allergies, fibromyalgia, depression, age associated memory loss and other unproven entities.
    PEAS became a major political issue in 1997 in the Chesapeake Bay (read Pfiesteria: Crossing Dark Water for the true story) when thousands of dead fish in many creeks and rivers were associated with illness in many humans. To read newspaper accounts though, the fear of Pfiesteria , which caused many people to stop eating seafood, was based on a few fish with lesions in a few creeks that might have made a few fishermen sick. To listen to the politicians and corporate environmental groups talk about the problem of nutrients causing Pfiesteria to bloom adds nausea to the list of symptoms of PEAS.
    Nutrients, especially urea, have been shown to enhance Pfiesteria growth and toxin production. Cases of human illness occur only in areas where particular agricultural chemicals are present with the extra nutrients. Some fish kills and sick patients are found in estuaries with extremely low nutrient levels but high chemical levels. We don't know exactly why these small organisms turn to making toxin but we do know how to treat the commonly acquired illness that results from exposure to the toxin. A great concern (see "Why Johnny Can't Read, "chapter 11 in Desperation Medicine) is due to the effect of Pfiesteria toxins on the ability of children to learn.
    The official CDC response to the problem of the human health threat from Pfiesteria has at times been inaccurate, misleading, unduly conservative and slow to keep pace with the science. If you have an unusual illness that appeared following exposure to an attack zone in an Eastern Seaboard estuary, especially from the Chesapeake Bay to West Palm Beach Florida, take the VCS test. Proper therapy shows improvement in vision and symptoms beginning in 36 hours.
  3. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I am very happy for you. It's nice to know that not everyone has to wait forever. I applied Sept '06 and haven't heard a word yet.
    I'm sorry you have to be disabled at all but I am glad you got such fast approval.

Cindy
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I'm on unemployment for now. Does SSDI pay more than unemployment? Does being on SSDI mean that you can get coverage for doctor visits?

I have a D.O. that understands CFS. My past M.D. only understood basic stuff.
  5. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Sylvia:

So glad you got some good news...just in time for the Holidays. Enjoy.

Ingrid
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i undestand how you feel. i cried when i found out i won. an d felt silly at the same time. wasn't that my goal?

keep a good attitude and let yourself heal mentally.

jodie
  7. ktpar

ktpar New Member

I am happy that you won your disability. I am in Co where they are eliminating the reconsideration stage after your first denial. I was denied in Oct'06 will have to wait almost a yr for a hearing. I believe it is hard to get it when your Dr don't understand FMS and Histio. I really needed the money. They say this new process is suppose to get the real disabled people benefits faster. This is not fair at all. I know within my heart what I go thru. Hopefully someone would understand. Keep me in your prayers.
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I felt the same way about really being disables.It's like when you first get a diagnosis.You're happy to get the diagnosis but after a while it dawns on you that it is for life.Linda
  9. lavender14

lavender14 New Member

sylvia, I am glad to hear that in these days ssdi can be received with a shorter wait than it used to be. I am soooohappy for you.

back when I applied in 1990, it was very hard to get, but after ten yrs. it finally came through. and yes they deposit money in your acct. before they tell you, and sometimes they don't tell you.

Make sure it's right. in the last 8 yrs. ss has found 3 mistakes they made with my back pay, thank goodness --all to my advantage.

Jennie
  10. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

I really appreciate your kind words of congratulations. I suppose my main feeling about it now is just pure relief. I hope now I can just relax and concentrate on improving as much as I can.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you all!

HUGS
    Sylvia
  11. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Thank you for that information. I was not familiar with that.

It's very interesting and I will read more about that!

HUGS
    Sylvia
  12. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Hi

I don't know about whether SSDI pays more than unemployment or not. I didn't go on unemployment because I simply could not work. I think unemployment here implies you are actively looking for a job. I couldn't do any job.

SSDI is Social Security disability and your eligibility and amount is dependant on your work history.

I haven't gotten a letter yet detailing my benefits and such, but my understanding is you are eleigible for Medicare after two years on SSDI.

SSI kicks in if you have a low income or you do not qualify for SSDI. (I may not be accurate on the details) With SSI, I understand you can get Medicaid for your medical care.

To get much more info, go to the Social Security Adiministration website.

Get plenty of support from your medical practitioners. It is all important in getting approval.

Good luck to you
    Sylvia
  13. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I know what you mean about the let-down feeling, but it will pass. I was approved a few months ago, and now I feel that I am a whole "new" me, and my working days are like some distant (bad) dream of the past. (Now that I'm no longer working I can see just how detrimental my job was to my health).

I love the stress-free freedom of being in a quiet, loving environment, and have regenerated my poor suffering body by having the luxury of resting when I need to.

Best of luck and again, congrats!
    Mini
  14. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

I feel much more relaxed now that I know it is a done deal. I told my hubby last night that I feel like I can concentrate more on my studio work now that I don't have that to worry me.

It is great to be able to rest when I need to and treat myself kindly rather than forcing myself to make the long commute and trying to work when I was horrendously exhausted and hurting. My life is much more peaceful now.

I wish everyone with these DDs could feel so much better.

Hugs
    Sylvia