SSDI ??? Lawyer requested decision NOW

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Apr 28, 2006.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

In all the posted topics with questions for SSDI, I have never come across this yet so I am asking for others experiences...

I applied in October 2004 and closed my business just prior. I was denied twice and filed an appeal. I knew the wait was long so I haven't bothered to contact my lawyer except for sending him doc bills, new reports and meds lists and receipts...

Well he called me today and I was SURPRISED by his question. He wanted my approval for him to write a short summary (3 pages or so) to SSDI and request an "IMMEDIATE DECISION ON MY CASE". He said that 3 clients of his applied after me and are done allready...Mine and one other seem to be on the bottom of the pile. He said he called SSDI and asked for the status of mine and they just said they are backlogged and will eventually get to it...

I guess I am more patient than he, he feels we need to give them a push and because of the FACTS of my case and the length of time and severity of my illnesses, I should have been awarded a favorable decision by now...

His intentions are to write a short summary, giving them a reminder of the facts detailed in the 2 binders that my lawyer has and that they make an immediate decision...

I told him to proceed with that, he will send me a copy before he sends it so I can see if he has forgotten anything that would be beneficial, but I am not allowed to re-write the letter...He made sure he got that through to me...I guess he knows me well enough to know that whatever he writes will not be to my satisfaction...tehe

I told him I thought it would benefit us even if they didn't okay it, at least we would know what judge we would be dealing with...Then to my surprise, he says a judge may not read this letter but a state attorney...Since when are attorneys qualified to handle medical cases???

Is it me or is this system so corrupt that it's become just a 'candystore' for doctors, lawyers and other bottom feeders???

If you had a similar experience, would you mind sharing the details and/or the outcome...You know I am much appreciative for any responses...Thanks so much...

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

contact your local congressman's office call them first, so they can send you the proper form ot fill out so they can do a congressional inquiry...it will move your papers from the bottom to the top...

jodie
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

That was my main concern...

If the State Attorney denies me, then we request the hearing, which should be within one month of that denial...

You hit the nail right on the head ~ my lawyer is being proactive!!! I couldn't believe it when he called and asked my opinion on this, I didn't know it was even an option.

I may call him on Monday to ask about what you and others suggested, contacted my congresspeople...But in Maine, to be honest, I think it's a huge waste...I have never seen a state or any entity for that matter, run like this state...
    The residents nickname for this beautiful place known as 'Vacationland', is TAXATIONLAND...Can you imagine anyone in power considering my little old disability case?

I will be asking him about this avenue tho, I will let you know what happens...

It made me feel good that you read my story and felt the need to say my lawyer was 'proactive'...I am not a fan of lawyers and he kinda rubbed me wrong the first time I met him PLUS he asked me if my hubby BEAT ME...Yes, he asked me that...When I threatened to whack him (yes, I said that), he discovered a respect for me quickly...Since then, he has developed a case on my behalf that is 2 full professional binders FULL and he has been going over things thoroughly and making recommendations that have only benefitted my case. I now like him!!!

I thank you for the replies so far ~ Alicia
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My atty. finally had to write to the judge and request a hearing ASAP. The judge here retired before my case came to a hearing and they go back logged. The SS clerk herself told me that they just kept dumping files on her desk and that she worked from the top of the heap down. She said if a file is on the bottom, too bad; it will never see the light of day. Can you believe it!

I finally got my day in court and won but not until I had to pay my atty. the full amt. and not before I had to spend $7,000 of my own money on insurance coverage for the period of time I should have been covered by Medicare.

SSA is just one huge bungling bureaucracy and inefficient as hell. It shouldn't be this difficult for sick, disabled people to be able to access the insurance to which we are entitled and into which we contributed for years. It isn't welfare; it's insurance against the nightmare of becoming disabled. Most of us would rather be working if only we could. It is impossible to live on disability.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie