SSDI Medicare???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TKE, Oct 16, 2008.

1. TKE

TKE New Member

Does anyone know how this works.....you get approved for SSDI & in 2 years they start taking out for medicare. My Huz's insurance covers me 100% as long as he's working. He just started to draw SS retirement & has medicare now too. His work place told him work insurance is primary & medicare is secondary. He was able to opt out of medicare so he didn't have to pay each month. Will that work the same for me on disability....can I opt out & not have to pay the $96.00 or what ever each month?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Without penalties if you have coverage through a spouse's insurance. They will send you a card just before you are eligible for Medicare. If you want to opt out of Part B, you return some of the material to them. There are instructions. After that, you will receive a new card with just the Part A, which is automatic and for which there will be no extra charge. I'm not sure about how the Part D, pharmacy coverage, works when one has other coverage.

Love, Mikie
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

Thanks for the info...we also have prescription insurance thru huz's work, so it looks like I'm good to go until he retires.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One should always check with any company plan before doing anything. Biggest problem with some of them is finding knowledgeable people who can explain it and who know what they are talking about. Companies have cut way back on support staff for benefits.

Love, Mikie
  5. TKE

TKE New Member

Huz checked & his insurance will be 100% primary for both of us, with Medicare A as 2nd, until he retires.....he's soon to be 66 & still working & just got his first SS check this week.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Having a good primary ins. from a company with MC as secondary is usually the best of all scenarios.

Love, Mikie