SSDI Moving states, do benefit amounts change?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justlooking, Nov 14, 2006.

1. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I've been on SSDI for about 3 years and I live in Southern California. We are considering moving out of state, maybe Houston, TX.

Can or Does the amount of your monthly benefit check change depending on what state you live in because of the difference in the cost of living?

I realize SSDI is a Federal benefit but has anyone moved between states while on SSDI? Was there any change to your monthly check, Medicare or prescription coverage?

I went to the SSA website but there isn't anything on there I could find about this subject.

Thanks.
    Sincerely
    JL
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What could change is if one qualifies for Medicaid in addition to Medicare. Medicaid is a dual federal/state program. The Medicare Part D is standardized but there are a lot of plans offered and you may not be able to use the same one if you move. Same is true of Medicare supplements and Medicare Advantage plans which may or may not include the Rx coverage in the plans. The monthly SSDI benefit doesn't change. The yearly cost-of-living increase is accross the board nationally. People with higher incomes may be charged a higher premium for their Part B Medicare in 2007.

Love, Mikie
  3. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

I've lived out of California a few times and there is a drop in your benefits. There are I think 4 other states that have an extra benefit payment included in your regular benefits. California is one and Virginia is another.. Not sure of the other 3. I was shocked at the drop in my benefits when I moved out of California and have since moved back. I think the drop back then was around $200.00. I don't know of any way to check on which states have the extra benefit other than to talk to a S.S. agent. Sometimes they're forthcoming, sometimes not...

LaQ
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I am not on SSI, no Medicaid or any other supplemental benefits. Just the SSDI that I paid into on my own, not related to my husband or any other family member.

I did look on the SSA website and it didn't say anything. I probably will at some point in the future call the SSA if we decide to move out of state. Right now we are just in the reseach stage, working out the kinks and weighing the options.

I expected my Medicare part D would change since that is dependant on the county, city and state you live in.

I don't use the HMO supplemental insurance, as my PCP doesn't accept HMOs and I've been fortunate that Medicare has paid for all of my medical bills except for small co-pays and a few lab tests.

I'm anxious about the possibilty of moving and want to make sure I look at all the the pros and cons to moving!

Any additional information is welcome.

Sincerely
    JL

PS Mikie hope you are doing well after your GB surgery. I haven't been around much lately but I have been peeking at the post every day or two.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your note. Actually, I saw the doc today and he was very pleased with how well I'm doing. I can resume my regular activities in another week. I made spicy Cajun seafood stew with Andouille sausage and had not ill effects. Yeah! The cast iron gut is back :)

Since SSDI is a federal program and the benefit is the same all over, if there is a difference when one moves, it must be some kind of supplemental program on the part of the individual states. The advice to call SSA is good, just to make sure.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. justlooking

justlooking New Member

thanks for responding and glad you are doing better.

I did do some research and what I found was the SSDI benefits don't change by state but SSI does.

Thanks and cheers to continued good gut health!

Have a great Thanksgiving!
    Sincerely
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2006]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am getting better each day but still have to take it easy. I overdid it yesterday a bit. I'm tired today but because both my toilet tank valves broke down and were letting the water run, I had to fix them today. I'm beat! But, I digress...

Yes, you are right, programs which require financial qualification do differ from state to state. It can be really confusing with SSDI and SSI. When I worked in Medicare insurance, I called it the insurance alphabet soup system. HMO, PPO, POS...yikes! It's enough to give even an insurance agent a headache :)

Love, Mikie