SSDI..New paperwork following lengthy interveiw appt....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by catmom50, Jun 19, 2006.

1. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

2 weeks ago, I went for my first interview to apply for SSDI. The appointment was 1 1/5 hours long. She asked me everything under the sun.

Today, I get a big envelope with 3 different questioneers to fill out. They are all repetitive of what I already answered. One my husband has to fill out. One I fill out about my previous work, and one is my daily activities.

I already answered these in person, NOW have to do it on paper???

I suppose this is part of the "SSDI process"?????

Just needed to vent.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi catmom,

Yes, I had to do the same thing. I actually went to someone's office and the girl asked me the questions and I answered.

Then, I received same paperwork and went back to same girl for help with these also. You can fill them out yourself or ask for help.

Hope this helps,

(I would make copies)

BlueSky555
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

check out disabilitysecrets.com

it may have som good tips on how to fill those out to work ot your benefit..

j
  4. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

You're dealing with a government agency and knowing how efficient they are they keep asking the same thing over and over and over...Then when they can't ask you anymore they start asking your friends, family, and Dr.'s. over and over and over.

BlueSky made an excellent point. Make copies of everything you fill out. Papers get lost and then they send you similar forms asking the same question. They'll trip you up if all your answers aren't consistent on every form. So it's important you have a record of everything you tell them so you can refer back to it.

I bought a big binder and Marked it "SSI Paperwork." I made copies of all the paperwork I was responsible for and my Dr.'s reports before sending them on to Social Security. That way my answers would also be consistant with the Dr.'s and if they're not, you can make a comment as to why, if necessary. I kept copies of everything from SSI and my lawyer as well. If the Dr.'s sent their reports directly to SSI, I asked the Dr.'s office for a copy to put in my book.

I have referred to this book many times since getting my disability and I continue to put every Dr. report, hospital visit, lab result, test result, and surgery report in it. It came in very handy when Social Security did their 3 year review. I could back up every claim I made. I hope this helps. LuAnn
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Yes, this is the process I'm afraid.

But before you fill out the paperwork, please check this site for SSDI info, or "Disability" info.

Lots of good information right here!

You could look for some of my tips under my screenname, also. I've helped a lot of people apply and win.

Good luck to you, just be patient and know you can't rush the system unless you call a state or national representative!

findmind
  6. vwolfer

vwolfer New Member

I would advise you to retain an attorney who specializes in SSDI and CFS right away. I was told that SSDI automatically denies almost every claim that comes through and that you just have to stick with it through the appeals process which can take forever. I decided to hire an attorney because I was just too sick to deal with interviews and paperwork. Getting to the doctor is hard enough on me. Anyway, my first day out of work was 6/17/05 and my attorney filed my SSDI claim some time in January. I was shocked to find out this weekend that I was approved with the first try and received a retro check already. The attorney's office handled absolutely everything for me and I mean everything. I did not have to deal with anyone at all from SS other than going to an IME which only took about 1-1/2. SS attorneys do not ask for any money upfront at all and only receive 25% of back pay or up to $5,000 (whichever is the lessor amount)when the SSDI is awarded. This is well worth it since the majority of people, especially those with CFS, are denied throughout the process. Attorneys work directly with your doctors and know all of the SS Guidelines and the exact wording that is necessary to be approved for benefits. Hiring an attorney also works in your favor because efficiently and competently completing all of the forms yourself and in a timely fashion just might lead them to believe that you are indeed capable of working. Believe me they look for any reason at all to deny our claims. Good luck. P.S. Scott Davis in Arizona has a great reputation and I used Wendy Brill in New York.