SSDI paperwork

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrea4, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

Did anyone have trouble filling out the paperwork? I find that I am having trouble trying to find the right words to explain things. I guess its part of the fibro fog or maybe the major depression, but i can't get the right words and i keep forgetting what things are called.
  2. ljm527

ljm527 New Member

Yes; I am having a difficult time providing soooooo much info and medical record info. I tried filling out the report on line but it was too exhausting; then the interviewer went from one thing to another and I thought she was sending me a copy of her report to review to make sure we got everything (since I get "brain fog" but when I followed up she said I don't get a copy of her interpretation. Now they have sent me another questionnaire for me and one for a friend or family member to fill out which is only supposed to take 30 minutes but I have spent a few hours because I don't know how to word the answers--there is no typical day to tell them about which is one of the questions. I hurt everyday, sometimes for part of the day, sometimes for days at a time, and sometimes I feel good. Don't know how to describe that to them. Are you experiencing the same thing?
  3. francesakers

francesakers New Member

andrea4 there is a long post on here from jlh posted 11/04 it is long but has everything you need to know about the paperwork. I think it will be very helpful. Good luck to you I hope this helps you

~frances
  4. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

i did print out the long post and i am using it as a guide. but there are still things i am having trobule with. like for example, they ask for your jobs. ok, i listed my jobs. but like for one job, i worked there for 4 yrs at different rates of pay for the same position. how do i list the rate of pay for that? they ask for the per hr per day week month or yr amount.
  5. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

bump pls
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Andrea4:
    If you call the Social Security Administration and make an appointment at their local office, they have people who will help you fill it out if unable to. Or have a friend or relative give you a hand. Just a suggestion...
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  7. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

and i am almost done! its taken so long because writing is so difficult and stuff.

question....did any of you who applied end with some kind of summary? you know the part where they tell you is there anything else you'd like us to know? i feel like i want to say something but i have no idea what. i had to add 6 extra sheets of paper to handwrite all the tests, doctors and answer their questions. they give you so little space. do they really think the answers will fit there?

8. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

there's a space on the form for you to put an optional email address. did you?
  9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I filled mine out, and as a medical professional, the medical questions came a little easier, but just writing wore me out.

I worked on it only so long.
    For the questions on income - write out the time you were with an employer and the starting and ending pay. Explain if you started full time and then had to go part-time or vice versa and if your Disability played a part in the end - say so.

Explain about the sleep disturbance, how the fatigue got to you, then you pooped out, if you did, in the afternoon.

For me, my writing deteriorated so badly that one of my doctors told me he knew I was in a lot of pain by trying to read my handwriting.

Explain on the form that you are taking a long time because sometimes you read things and it just can't register.

I still have that and it gets much worse at times. For me, I developed problems with MATH. WE HAD TO BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL ON MATH, COMPUTING MEDICATIONS AND LAB TESTS, ETC. AND THAT SCARED THEM. WANT SOMEONE PUTTING YOU TO SLEEP THAT GOOFS UP YOUR DRUG DOSAGE AND GIVES YOU TEN TIMES WHAT THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO?

Explain in plain terms, how you have changed and what has caused it. Pain everywhere? Explain the pain.

Explain things like I have lost my grip, can't lift above my shoulders - I can't comb my own hair, sometimes.

Tell them about the confusion, the short term memory loss, the inability to come up with words.

Don't exaggerate, just tell the truth.

10. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I just got my SSDI statement, which I receive sometimes, for review.

I had been having my docs submit one for me every year, but my doctor at the FCC, whom I had transferred to from my rheumatologist, just went poof. I was frantic.

MY INTERNAL MED GUY, WHOM I HAVE HAD FOR YEARS, SIGNED IT FOR ME.

I answered the questions myself, carefully and sure not to leave out or embellish. BELIEVE ME, WE DON'T NEED TO EMBELLISH.

I left a blank beside each answer for him to read and then initial and then to complete.

When it came to the when will she be able to return to work and he put NEVER.

The private company sent me a thing saying that I will just have to send them a form once a year, saying if I am better.

I guess it was their polite way of saying let us know if you're dead.
  11. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I was re-reading the papers now that they are done. I don't know what to do with them. One part says to mail and take the completed form to your local SS office. Another part says that you need it at your interview. I don't have an interview.

Am I doing this wrong? I can't fill it out online cuz i can't handle typing & sitting that long. So my husband printed the forms and that's what i've been working on.

Do I have to call and make an appt to file for disability or do i drop the papers off and then they call me to set up an appt? I am clueless....
  12. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

bump please