SSDI question - how often do you need to keep seeing your doctors?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by lyonsden10, Dec 27, 2012.

1. lyonsden10

lyonsden10 New Member

I am on SSDI for multiple reasons. I will not be reviewed for another few years. However, I see a neurologist every two to three months for one condition that prevents me from working.

But I only see the chronic fatigue doctor every six months. They said they cannot help me because I cannot take the medications they prescribe due to sensitivities. And some of the blood tests aren't covered by insurance. It is such a waste of time going, but I don't want to put my disability at risk down the road.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and how it went if they didn't see the doctor for one of their conditions.

Thanks!
  2. mbofov

mbofov Member

as you - I see my CFS doctor every six months. He's really not doing anything to help me right now, though he did help a fair amount with nutrition and so on some years ago.

But he's the one who got me qualified for SSDI 10 years ago so I keep seeing him, just in case I need to requalify. He also signs the forms when I get called for jury duty.

There really is no documentation I know of for CFS, apart from an exercise stress test performed two days in a row (both pre and post-exertion). The only hard evidence I have of an abnormality is a badly skewed impedance cardiography test (a cardiac test which measures vascular resistance). Dr. Arnold Peckerman wrote a paper about this a few years ago, correlating the degree of abnormality on the test with the degree of severeit of CFS symptoms. I've never used the results for an SS review, but am keeping it my back pocket, so to speak, if needed.

Here's a link to Dr. Peckerman's paper:
    http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/Peckerman.pdf

Most doctors don't know about this. I think most cardologists' offices have the equipment to do the test (it's called a BioZ), and the last time I had it done about 5 years ago was very inexpensive for a heart test, around $125.

This is all probably more info than you wanted.

It could be that your neurologist would be sufficient for a an SS review since you see him for a condition which prevents you from working - I just don't know. We are in such a grey area! Hopefully someone else can give you better information -

Mary
  3. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I don't go often, just well visits mostly. There isn't more he can do but suggest what I can do for myself. He does give me good advice and is more into integrative suggesting medications plus supplements. The pain is always with me, different everyday. Not much more he can do. I hope it's not held against me for not going often, I can't afford it with my deductible.