SSDI vs SS Retirement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by BlueSky555, Jul 31, 2008.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Once someone begins receiving SSDI prior to retirement age, does that amount change when that person reaches retirement age or does it stay the same?

I'm just curious; never thought about this before, even though it means nothing to me.

Thank you in advance,

BlueSky
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I looked this up once and believe that it just stays the same. But this was a few years ago, so could be wrong.

Mary
  3. TrishinSpokane

TrishinSpokane New Member

of my knowledge, the only change it that it will read retirement benefits instead of disability benefits. You will continue to receive the disability amount which should be more. Hope this helps.

God Bless

Trish
  4. landra

landra New Member

I am going to have to take early retirement which is lower. In talking to SSA, I was told that the SSDI amount is the same as full retirement, and if I get SSDI while on early retirement, my amount will go up.

You get a statement each year from Social Security Administration. It lists these amounts. check yours. [Mine is currently burried under other paperwork.]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I called, disability is based on what one would have received if one waited until age 65, in my case, 66, to retire and should be the same or very close to the same.

Perhaps someone here has made the transition and can tell us.

Love, Mikie
  6. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

if I do not hear anything from SS on the disability payments my lawyer and I decided it would be ok to go out there to the office with decision in hand end of next week or beginning of following week. will try to remember to ask? but as I understand it now, it just flips from one column (SSD) to the other (SS)
  7. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I recently asked about this.

Since I became fully disabled at age 43, my retirement will not be as large each month as it would have been had I kept working and paying into it.

So my disability amount will be the amount kept since it is larger than what my retirement will be.

Then it will be called retirement SS rather than disability SS.

Marti
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I didn't get back last night so I'm just now reading the board. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your responses.

This is such a wonderful place.

BlueSky
  9. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

got my judge approval letter the 26th of last month. called today and I start getting my monthly next month! and the lump sum soonly (it should have hit at midnight if they did not screw up)=0
    have not heard squat from Medicare but it's starting to be deducted as of next month.....
  10. jencoop

jencoop Member

An Associated Press analysis of Social Security has found that, on balance, the program is probably not the very best retirement option. Employees currently paying into Social Security will pay more into it than they will probably get in Social Security benefits.