SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by julesjz, Sep 10, 2006.

1. julesjz

julesjz New Member

What has been people's process in obtaining disabililty, I'm just applying on my own, what has been the difficulties? How long, and what should I expect?

Hoping for the best...got all my personal paperwork done,first try, doing it without a lawyer...

Any stories would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks so much!
    julie
  2. encantare

encantare New Member

I had a previous post on this a few days ago that had good info. in it. Let me know if you can't find it. Ill repost.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Julie, there are plenty of horror stories, and then there are some good stories!

I have a good story! LOL

I applied for SSDI one year after I took an early retirement from my job of 30 years. I was 48 (getting close to 49) when I retired.

I completed the application on my own, and did not use a lawyer.

I was awarded disability and received my first check 4 months later!!

And ... my file was even "randomly" selected to be sent from the Soc. Sec. district office to the regional office for an audit. When I found this out, I thought for sure that my claim would be denied, but both offices approved it!!

I did not receive any back pay, as they would not count the one year from my retirement (due to medical problems) until the date I applied, even though I was disabled then. It really did not matter if I got any back pay or not, I was just extremely grateful that I was approved on my first try!!

Good luck to you!

Hugs,
    Janet