Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by s8vdbygr8ce, Sep 27, 2009.

1. s8vdbygr8ce

s8vdbygr8ce New Member

has anyone here, collected unemployment while trying to apply for disability.My father in law has done it,however it was years ago.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

If you don't have an income, you should be eligible for ssi (supplemental security income) while you are applying for ssdi. I highly doubt that you would be able to get unemployment and then qualify for ssdi.

Unemployment is, in essence, saying that you ARE ABLE to work and are looking for a job, but just have not found anything. SSDI says that you ARE UNABLE to work. It's hard enough to get ssdi without being on unemployment. I could be wrong, but I would think that they would view this as lying. (Don't get me wrong. I am NOT saying that you are. I totally understand that you need to have an income while you are trying to get ssdi. I am just saying that that's probably how they would look at it; either you are lying about being able to work, and therefore are not eligible for unemployment, or you are lying about being unable to work and are therefore not eligible for ssdi.)
  3. keke466

keke466 New Member

I agree. In 2006 I lost my job and went on unemployment. I was thinking at the time about filing for SSD and called a former SS Rep,found her in the yellow pages,she sent me a form and wanted me to fill it out and get the process started but I didn't because I was scared to. I knew it wouldn't look good for me. I'm down to working 3 days a week,2 days in a row only,and even that's hard.
    I don't think you should do it.