SSDICan you get it if you haven't worked for several yrs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Jun 15, 2008.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I always read about people applying for and/or getting SSDI. I have never looked into it. I quit working about 10 yrs ago to be a SAHM, but now I really don't think I could work if I had to due to FM/CFS and depression.

Would it be possible for me to get SSDI since I haven't worked in so long? I worry that I might have due go back to work due to the terrible economy right now...I just don't think I could physically handle it. My husb has a good job, but you just never know. We are also having to pay for our own med ins now, so that's a big expense every month.

Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Thanks in advance.

2. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

The work history requirement for receiving Social Security Disabiity benefits is based on credits.

You can earn up to 4 credits each year. This is based on how much money you earn.

To qualify for Social Security Disability, you must have at least 40 credits over your working history. At least 20 of those credits need to be from within the last ten years.

You may qualify for SSI, though. That's supplemental income (different from SSDI).