ssd's dr. next week..any advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jan a., Sep 11, 2002.

1. jan a.

jan a. New Member

well after filling out endless papers for ssd I now have to go to their dr. next week and then a psychologist for them the next week because they said there is no medical documentation of my problem of poor concentration , short memory and mental fatigue after reading or writing for a short time....Just wondered if there are things to tell dr. that will help or hurt my case. I had read an article that said dont mention pain, they wont pay for pain but then I hear that people got approved for pain...very confused...also is depression a help or hinderance? appreciate any help...thanks..jan a.
  2. jan a.

jan a. New Member

well after filling out endless papers for ssd I now have to go to their dr. next week and then a psychologist for them the next week because they said there is no medical documentation of my problem of poor concentration , short memory and mental fatigue after reading or writing for a short time....Just wondered if there are things to tell dr. that will help or hurt my case. I had read an article that said dont mention pain, they wont pay for pain but then I hear that people got approved for pain...very confused...also is depression a help or hinderance? appreciate any help...thanks..jan a.
  3. virgobuddy

virgobuddy New Member

Jan
    I can relate to your anxiety about the forthcoming appt. Since it sounds as if you are lacking in medical documentation, hopefully you've kept a journal of your symptoms or at least a calendar which might show cancelled engagements, days missed from work, missed appts, etc. Anything you have will help build your case. Unfortunately, if you're like me, you've felt too out of it to even maintain a daily journal most of the time. Any records or notes of how your life has deteriorated, how you've fallen short of your normal obligations, work duties, personal responsibilities (paying bills, filing taxes, maintaining your household, lost relationships, etc.)will help demonstrate your declining quality of life. All you can do from there is hope for the best, and find yourself a compassionate Dr. who can document your declining health from this point on.

I had medical documentation and still was denied the first time around. I didn't get an appeal until almost a year after the first denial by SSA, then it took two months for the judge to grant a (favorable) decison, and then it took another five months to get my back benefits. Hang in there. It's a long road, and there's nothing you can do to expedite the process. The only thing you CAN do is retain an atty to remove the burden of having to deal with the system all by yourself. Good luck!
    A
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

truly having problems like what did you say I forgot. Answering a bit wrong like we all do. Not wearing makeup and can't sit or get comfortable. You know the normal fog state. Be your worst day senerio. It is terrible that you doc hadn't documented this. You don't have to see there docs you can say you want to go to yours and have him fill out the papers. Does your doc know and has he experiance in doing disability. We found that ours did it so much that he was a pro. From what I have been told most of these docs don't have a clue about FMS or CFS. They are there to not get you disability. You know don't bite the hand that feeds you. Gary never had to see one of theirs but, this is what others I know have said. Did you research their docs? If you don't want their's call asap and ask to see your own and then get ones that treat FMS/CFS and are use to SSDI and will fight for you.

But, if not don't worry just look and act like you feel on your worst day.

Hope this helps some. Also have you gone into the SS site and research.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  5. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I was very nervous about going to my appt. too. I had mine on July 25. I was fortunate to get a very kind and considerate doctor that listened to what I was telling him and examined me accordingly.
    The advice I was given was expect the worst and hope for the best! So I prepared for the worst and it turned out to be good. Answer his questions in detail and with how long it has been going on and if it has gotten worse, how has it gotten worse etc.....
    Go to www.yahoo.com click on groups and type in Disinissues-L This is a wonderful source for telling you how you should explain what to say and what not to say.
    Good luck and I hope this helps!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  6. jan a.

jan a. New Member

when ever I brought up the idea of applying for ssd my dr. says " well we are going to get you well so you wont need that...I asked him again recently (in June) if he would fill out the forms and he said he just makes copies of my records and sends them. I havent worked since 1998 and my husband and I are desperate for extra income from all or medical expenses...I cant work and he had cancer 4 years ago but recovered and works shorter hours...our kids are grown and not in the area..Im 57. So since Im not under some dillusion that I am going to miraculasly get well I think this illness is here for the long haul....at least 17 years for me both cfs and fibro..but we should all be opptomistic...in the mean time we need help and should not have to go through such agggrivation to get it...this country is so generous with others who just came here, wish it would help us old citizens who dont ask for much....oh well , just venting...thanks again for replying...love from florida...jan a.
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

an advocate for you. Have you checked out the home pages doctors list. I believe it is 5 years from your last work date to file. Please check it out. You still can go to the doc you see know but, try others.

Good luck, Kim and Gary

[ advertisement ]