SSI application question...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by knickelson23, Jan 8, 2007.

1. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

How far back do you go when listing Doctors who have treated you and tests that have been performed? I began seeing a chiropractor around 1989-1990 or so with low back pain problems and have seen a handful of various Doctors since. You know...multiple symptoms and negative test results, only to be made to feel like a hypochndriac, although I was told I had degenerative joint disease in my back and neck in 1999. My symptoms started getting worse in 1998 and then escalated in 2003-2004. Finally was diagnosed in April, 2004. I will soon be applying for SSI disability and was just wondering how far I need to go back. Is it just Doctors that have treated you since your diagnosis or what? Thanks!! Luv, K-Nick
  2. TKE

TKE New Member

I'm not expert on this, but this is my experince with the SSA so far....

I have 20 plus years of back problems. I applied for SSD. I was asked if I had been to a chiropractor. I had many times, but also found out they don't consider the records from a chiropractor, as they aren't a medical doctor. DUH!! then why ask me if I'd see one or tell me I should go see one. These SSA people are a major pain in the you know what!!!

SSA requires reports from medical doctors & mostly specalists. Even tho you have reports from medical doctors, specilists & MRI's, X-rays, EMG nerve studies, etc, showing you have major health problems that limit your abilities they'll still deny you. They want you to go away, but hang in there & fight. It can take a long time to get approved. Only a handful have been lucky at getting approved quickly.

SSA likes to see that you've been having regular visits to your docs. Like every couple months.

I have thyroid disease, FMS, CMP, DDD, herniated disc lower back with nerve compression & nerve muscle damage in both legs, 3 buldged discs & 1 herniated in my neck with nerve compression that also causes problems with my arms & hands, gastritis that limits ability to take many meds, etc. Docs & physical therapists stated I shouldn't even do desk work, but SSA denied me...I got a lawyer & am waiting for a hearing date.

Go back as far as you can with records. They may or may not use them. Allot depends on who looks at them too, so each state is different.

Good luck :).

3. tandy

tandy New Member

I listed EVERYTHING related to me finding the cause of my pain. Even if it dates back many yrs,...
    put it down.
    any tests,..any PT,etc.

Its a long battle with SSI/disability,...but stick with it
    and best of Luck~
    Hugs
    Tandy
  4. glafdy

glafdy New Member

When I applied for SSDI in 2004, I listed every doctor basically that I had seen for something. My psychologist kept referring back to a car accident I was in back in 1965 where I went from the back seat through the windshield (no seatbelts back then). So I even listed that.

I have a friend that works for SS in CA and she told me to get as many records I could myself, because what they do is send the doctor a 10 question questionnaire. So the more you can send in with your application, the more information they will have to make a decision on your case.
    Besides doctor reports, hospital reports, also get lab results, exray reports, etc. Your doctor might charge you for some of that, but in the long run, I think, it is worth it.

I did get approved for SSDI the first time, 4 months after I applied, and had the back pay in my checking account before I had been off work for a year. However, I was 54 when I applied and I see you are quite a bit younger. Your age will work against you some.

Again, the best thing I can say, is send as much information as you can. Also, if you apply online and list all your doctors and their addresses, your application goes more quickly than if you give SS the name of the doctor with no address, because then they have to look it up. I found another benefit of applying on line was that you didn't have to do it all at one time. You could also go back, read through, and change things. My friend in SS says they really appreciate those that apply online and have all their info listed.

I hope this information helps. I know many people have difficulty getting approved, but I have helped several people through the process. In fact, my husband became disabled at the age of 42 due to RSDS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndome) a pain syndrome not on the SS list of disabilitities at that time. He was denied the first time, and it was after that when I talked to my friend in SS and she gave me the hints. I used her hints and also wrote our congressman to plead his case and they also helped follow through on his case. He was approved on the second try.

Good luck on your SSDI case. I wish you well.

Gladys
  5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

What the others have told you is pretty much my experience
    also. Suggest you see www.diabilitysecrets.com
    A good place to start is anywhere you can document and
    actually diagnosed problem by an M.D. Expect a fairly
    long "ordeal" but DON'T let it discourage you. "They" are
    counting on you to give up as so many needy people get
    discouraged and do!

Many, many people on this Board have had experience with
    this and we are all more than happy to help where we can!

Best Wishes Nick!
    JOE
  6. brendaszender

brendaszender New Member

K-Nick,

I have applied for SSI disability took quite a while to get but did not get denied. They will check and send paperwork to all your physicians. What really helped me to reciece mine was my psychologist with the diagnosis of depression disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder due my state of health from being floxed by Levaquin.

Brenda
  7. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I listed all of the Doctors I that I had seen since the beginning of my CFS and included their contact info with my application. I also contacted all of the Doctors offices and had my records sent to me and then I submitted my complete medical history to SSA with my application.

I applied for disability in Jan. 2005 and I was approved in August 2005. I Live in california and I receive SSI and SSDI.

I submitted a daily journal that I kept for 30 days detailing my symptoms. I also was evaluated by both a SSDI state appointed doctor and pyscologist, which I think helped my claim. I also submitted a detailed list of my immediate symptoms and limitaions listed below.

There is an organization if you need an attorney called the National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives you can reach them at nosscr.org They are a non-profit/non-commercial organization. There phone number is (800) 431-2804

Limitations from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

SYMPTOMS:

-Overwhelming fatigue, exhaustion, weakness, persistent flu-like symptoms and postexertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.
    - Persistent intractable muscle and joint pain
    - Headaches of a new severity
    - Unrefreshing sleep
    - Sore throat
    - Impaired short term memory and concentration
    - Visual impairments such as focusing
    - Lightheaded and increased fatigue from prolonged standing
    - Dizziness and vertigo
    - Nausea, bloating, indigestion, loss of appetite
    - Confusion
    - Anxiety, and episodes of sadness/ depression.
    - Decreased libido

UNABLE TO:

- stand or sit upright for more than a few minutes on relatively bad days.

- perform activities with a schedule, maintain regular attendance, and sustain an ordinary routine.

- complete a normal workday and workweek without interruption by symptoms and perform at a consistent pace without an unreasonable number and length of rest periods.

- stand, sit upright, and or concentrate for more than three to four hours on relatively good days. (I have had an average of about 10-12 good days per month for the last 12 months)

- walk consecutively for more than 15-20 min. on good days

- walk consecutively for more than a few min. on bad days.

- drive far distances such as 50 miles or more on good days.

- drive at all on bad days.

- lift and or carry heavy objects such as gallons of water or bags of groceries on bad days.

- see clearly for short moments from dizzy spells on both good and bad days.

- perform cognitive tasks, such as things involving simple and detailed verbal and or literary instructions on bad days and frequently on good days.

- focus and concentrate, limiting my ability to read for more than a half hour to an hour on a good day, and no more than a few min. on a bad day.

- maintain attention and concentrate for extended periods of time.

- to understand and remember simple and detailed instructions, work procedures, and conversations on bad days and frequently on good days.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2007]
  8. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi,

I only included the doctors who diagnosed and treated or were/are currently treating me...M.D.'s, chiropractor (though he does acupuncture on me and not chiropractic work) and one PT. Granted, it was a few year's worth of doctors.

Do you have a disability lawyer? If not, definitely get one. If you do have one, what does he/she think?

Best of luck and don't give in or lose hope!

Warmly,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  9. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

I really appreciate all of you and your taking time to answer my questions. This support group is a Godsend. I've learned so much just by reading and sharing with others who know what it's like to have this DD. Noone, even the loved ones I live with can ever imagine what it's like to have this. They try to understand...but...Anyway, thank you again. I will contact each and every professional I've ever been to and gather all I can to present my case. Good day to all!!! Luv, K-Nick