SSI attorney Mr. Davis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bubblegum, Oct 19, 2002.

1. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I had a phone consultation with Scott Davis this week. My case involves both SSI and SSDI. Since I have the work credits I am eligible for SSDI, and because I have lost everything since the onset of this DD I am also eligible for SSI. Scott Davis made it very clear that he is payed based on the amount I am awarded. And he felt that it wasn't in his best interest to take my case, although if I lived in Phoenix he would take it. Now correct me if I am wrong, doesn't the amount awarded the same for everyone. What I mean is that SSDI and SSI pay from the day a person applies to the date they approved. The difference is SSI is about $500 month and SSDI can range from $700 to $1000 a month. And SSI does not use medical records prior to the date of disability and SSDI goes back one year prior to the onset. The bottom line is for me I am waiting for my hearing, I filed 1 1/2 years ago which means I will get back pay from both when approved and yet he still says its not in his best interest to take my case. Through my tears I begged him to reconsider and all he could say was good luck. I agree with Allhart about me Davis' attitude. And for others who think its because he doesn't take SSI cases, then can you tell me why he didn't take my case? He stood to gain % from both. I live right here in Calif. so its not like he has to travel across the country for my hearing.
    It amazes me how immune support allows this guy to make it sound so easy to contact him for representation when half the time he doesn't respond and then when he does if a case doesn't fit a certain profile he finds it NOT in his best (financial) interest to take it. He crushed my spirits.
    I wrote this for the purpose of forewarning others of the possible rejection and disappointment they may endure if they get their heart set on Mr. Davis' representation.
    One more note....His office guaranteed that he would represent me once I had an official DX. So I counted on him and now I can;t find anybody else because it is too late in the process.
    Good luck Allhart with your hearing and all others that are in disability process.
    Ciao 4 Now,
    Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2002]
  2. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I had a phone consultation with Scott Davis this week. My case involves both SSI and SSDI. Since I have the work credits I am eligible for SSDI, and because I have lost everything since the onset of this DD I am also eligible for SSI. Scott Davis made it very clear that he is payed based on the amount I am awarded. And he felt that it wasn't in his best interest to take my case, although if I lived in Phoenix he would take it. Now correct me if I am wrong, doesn't the amount awarded the same for everyone. What I mean is that SSDI and SSI pay from the day a person applies to the date they approved. The difference is SSI is about $500 month and SSDI can range from $700 to $1000 a month. And SSI does not use medical records prior to the date of disability and SSDI goes back one year prior to the onset. The bottom line is for me I am waiting for my hearing, I filed 1 1/2 years ago which means I will get back pay from both when approved and yet he still says its not in his best interest to take my case. Through my tears I begged him to reconsider and all he could say was good luck. I agree with Allhart about me Davis' attitude. And for others who think its because he doesn't take SSI cases, then can you tell me why he didn't take my case? He stood to gain % from both. I live right here in Calif. so its not like he has to travel across the country for my hearing.
    It amazes me how immune support allows this guy to make it sound so easy to contact him for representation when half the time he doesn't respond and then when he does if a case doesn't fit a certain profile he finds it NOT in his best (financial) interest to take it. He crushed my spirits.
    I wrote this for the purpose of forewarning others of the possible rejection and disappointment they may endure if they get their heart set on Mr. Davis' representation.
    One more note....His office guaranteed that he would represent me once I had an official DX. So I counted on him and now I can;t find anybody else because it is too late in the process.
    Good luck Allhart with your hearing and all others that are in disability process.
    Ciao 4 Now,
    Sandy
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

here my 2 letter to davis give me a couple min to post the response to.

Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 7:42 PM
    To: info
    Subject: disabilty

dear mr davis i had contacted you a few weeks ago so you could recommed
    a attoney here in tucson to take my case,you reply said contact the
    nosscr and thats what i did. i called the attoney they referred me to a
    mr phillip verrette he told me what every attoney has told me that he
    will not take my case because it is a ssi case and that he wont make any
    money off it and futher told me that no one would for the same resson,
    he told me to call legal aid,i have tried for over a week to get threw
    to legal aid with no sucscess

any ways i dont think they will have enough knowledge about fm to help,

im awaiting my hearing date in front of the alj the case is in workup
    now,is there not any possible way that you could handle my case? i think
    them just knowing i have a good lawyer will make all the diffrence in
    the world please have someone call me. im very desprate at this point
    because ive been trying to get a attoney for the last year.

sencerly kara

THIS IS THE RESPONSE I GOT

I am sorry; however I do not handle any SSI claims and the only
    referral number I have is for NOSSCR. You may want to try the yellow
    pages. Best of luck to you.

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2002]
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

i realy hope noone minds but im bumbing some others post about davis so others will realize hes not always sweet, only if you can afford him to be
  5. allhart

allhart New Member

coping
    (90)

I have spoke to him 08/08/02 07:14 PM

I emailed Mr. Davis' office and he emailed back. His office set up a phone appointment with him. He listened to what I had to say. (He was surprised that Social Security had set up 2 Drs. appts BEFORE I was Denied.) He was honest with me in that he felt I was too far along in the process for him to really earn his money. I was grateful for that.
    I am filing for SSDI. Perhaps it does make a difference.
    Ciao,
    Tricia

6. allhart

allhart New Member

He didn't have the courtesy tooo answer my email either. 08/08/02 07:03 PM

Quite a while ago I sent him an email. I'm not even sure why I wrote now, it's been so long. But I do remember that I never got a response. I recently filed for SSDI and am using an area attorney who has a terrific reputation.

Barbara

7. teach6

teach6 New Member

Alas! A "Fully Favorable Decision" from SSI!!! 04/05/02 12:18 PM

I just rec'd the best news I've had in years...literally! The Administrative Law Judge issued a "Fully Favorable Decision" to my SSI/SSDI appeal (which was held on 1/10/02). I filed for benefits 7/1/00 so it's taken about two years to come full circle.

I would like to thank everyone who offered me support when they themselves may have had little to give. Without this board, I may have gone CRAZY since I am single and have no real family here to offer support. I have a few good friends, but even they had their moments (when I couldn't help but think they doubted my cause). Now at least I can get some bills paid and do some serious budgeting for the future.

Just for the record, Scott Davis of Phoenix was my atty. I found him on this website, and he did an excellent job for me. If I can be of any assistance to anyone who is in the midst of their SSI claim, please do not hesitate to e-mail me @ aee123@attbi.com. Thanks again!!!

8. allhart

allhart New Member

alix
    (3)

I called Scott Davis a month ago... 01/31/02 01:32 PM

and his receptionist returned the call informing me that he did not get involved in any claims that have had 2 denials like mine and are now in VA. So now my hope is that some board members will have some advise/ideas that will do the trick...and Jackie, your idea of listing every symptom separately is good...thanks, alix

9. allhart

allhart New Member

this is my oringal message to mr davis and his frist response,i will say this agin i DO think mr davis is a Good attorney just not to everyone im grateful for those he has helped but more hurt for those he will not because of money
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Please contact NOSSCR at 1-800-431-2804 for an attorney referral in your
    area.

Best of luck to you.
    Scott E. Davis
    Attorney at Law

-----Original Message-----
    From: webmaster@prohealthinc.com [mailto:webmaster@prohealthinc.com]
    Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 9:55 PM
    To: info
    Subject: A Disability Question from kara
    Message: if possible can you please help or do you know any good attoneys here in tucson to help me
    i have a ssi case ive filed for a hearing with the alj ,i have had so
    many promblems with dr,s and everything eles,im to sick to deal with all
    this on my own please call and let me know if you can help or recommened someone to help. i have already tried everyone eles i could find listed in tucson, we have already had our car repossed and our house foreclosed i have 5 children to take care of,im desprate,
    thank you
    kara
    -----------------------------------------------------------

ps SORRY bubblegum if i got alittle out of control im in alot of pain today which sometimes makes me cranky and mr davis realy hurt my feelings because i also left phone messages and he never called back,
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2002]
  10. achy

achy New Member

I do know another SS attorney though...go to
    Fibrohugs.com....on the right side, in the middle is a list of message boards...go to USA Disability.. I have participated in several chats with him and many e-mails. He knows his stuff.
    Good luck

Achy

Hey,,,attorneys are no better than doctors...find one YOU like & trust
  11. contessa

contessa New Member

His response was - For $190 I will review your case. Sorry, for that amount of money I already know his answer, no one seems to want to represent suits against private insurance companies. But if it were a car accident they'd be all over the case. And no, I can't afford to pay anyone money up front!
  12. froggy

froggy New Member

bubblegum- sorry really don't have any advice but to try Legal aid- call your county SS office and ask if they know the hours that legal aid work- some don't work full time office hours- it's worth a try.

contessa- you mite try binderandbinder. they are my attorneys and are very good and do private ins. it's worth a call, to see if they can help.

Peace & Love Jan
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When you initially confer with an atty. regarding taking a contingency case, he or she is interviewing you to see whether he or she 1) believes he or she can win your case; and 2) whether it will be worth his or her time to accept the case. This is just business as usual.

Unfortunately, that often leaves us in the lurch.

Love, Mikie
  14. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

It'a a horror story for me only because I was guaranteed representation once I had an official dx. I even asked to make certain that I heard her correctly. They said it wasn't important what stage I was in when I got the dx just call them when it was in writing and he would take over the case. Now I am to far in the case to get any other attorney to take it. Thats why I am so frustrated. He totally mislead me. I don't really like calling anyone a liar. Anyway thanks for you support.
    Ciao
    Sandy
  15. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

I mainly posted this for you. I saw one of your posts and someone had replied that he wouldn't represent you because yours was only SSI. I thought this would clarify things to other board members.
    Thanks for all you replies and don't worry about getting carried away. This thread was the perfect place to post your experience.
    I just hope enough read it so they may be prepared for a not so nice response.
    Ciao
    Sandy
  16. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Congrats on your SSI approval. I probably should have called his office more often to remind them about telling me that he would represent me. You see it has taken a long time to get something from the medical professionals in writing stating that in fact I do have FM. In the beginning I was told I had FM but the doc would not write his dx in my chart. I feel so lost and betrayed. The number he gave me to call for another referral is the same attorney that told me that because I am only 40 I'd have to be bedridden if I had a chance of getting it approved. So you see it has been a total nightmare for me.
    Ciao
    Sandy
  17. dndoriginal

dndoriginal Guest

I simply love the fact that others share my opinion of Mr. "not so wonderful" Davis. (Attorney at STALL) I met him at a support group meeting and I spoke with him briefly afterward. I told him I had recieved my first denial for SSA and SSI. He told me when I got my second denial to call his office and he would take my case from there. Well, much to my dismay I did exactly what he advised. After playing phone tag for 3 weeks I finally spoke with him directly. I told him I had been compiling all the necessarry test results and my Doctors were on board. I live in Las Vegas, but that wasn't his reason for not taking my case. He simply didn't feel too confident or who knows maybe there wasn't enough money involved. Long story short, Mr. Davis went back on his word and left me hanging in the wind.
    Well, inspite of it all I won my case in August of 2002 at the Appeals level And the Administraitive Law Judge was so immpressed with my organized "HUGE" stack of evidence, I didn't even have to go to court. They called me the day of my Hearing and said the ALJ had ruled on the evidence I went all over town collecting and after tons of phone calls to follow-up. I wouldn't have know all of this if I hadn't discovered "The Blue Book" or Disability Evaluation under Social Security. You can find it on the internet if you do a search for Social Security Blue Book. It has everything you need to know to win your case. It took me a little over two years to win this battle, but in the end it's worth it. Just a funny note though, most of the Social Security people I have encountered have never even heard of "The Blue Book", I tell ya it truely is amazing. Hang in there and there should be a Legal Advocate that could probably help you, just to make sure you get in EVERYTHING that will prove your case. I wish you all the luck in the world, IT CAN BE DONE! Forget Mr."Jerk" Davis!!!!!!!!!!! You don't need him.
    Fight the good fight!
    Take Care,
    Deanna
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If someone agrees to take a case and then reneges on his word.

What I don't understand is why anyone would want to use an attorney from the internet. Unless someone lives waaaaay out in the boonies, there are disability attorneys everywhere.

Love, Mikie
  19. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

The reason I chose Mr. Davis is because of the publicity this web site gives him. I thought he was on our side. And I think immune support should rethink the amount of time they give him on this web site. He has let down alot of members on this board. Does anyone from immune support ever discuss these complaints with Mr. Davis?
    Ciao
    Sandy