SSI - HELP ! Questions about monthly benefit amount

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cerise, Feb 11, 2006.

1. cerise

cerise New Member

Looking for some insight on dealing with my local SSA office regarding the calculation of my monthly benefit amount for SSI (Supplemental Security Income).

Does anybody know anything about this Category "A" and "B" determination regarding a claimant's living arrangements? If you're a Category "B", one-third is automatically deducted from the benefit amount.

With Category "B" classification SSA can just "assume" that if you are not married & have no income someone MUST have helped you with FOOD AND SHELTER. Has anyone else had to deal with this problem with SSA?

The other problem I'm facing is my spouse's income. I got married in 04 (after living together for 11 years). I was awarded disability back to 2000 so I cover all aspects of living arrangements & income.

My spouse is on SSDI since 97 and that is considered my income and deducted from my SSI benefit amount. If we weren't married & only living together it would NOT be deducted. So I have to get a divorce to get more money??

On top of it, this has resulted in a reduction of our food stamps to $150 for 2.

The maximum benefit amount for SSI is $600-something.
    I went from $552 down to $111 a month based on SSA calculations & all their determinations.

I have NOTHING. I have exhausted my life savings trying to stay afloat while my SSDI case has been pending since 1995! My case is currently being appealed after 3 ALJ hearings and 1 federal court appearance!!!

Would appreciate any info that would help me out before I meet with SSA next week. THANKS!

[This Message was Edited on 02/11/2006]
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i wished i knew the answers...maybe you can check out ssa.gov or disability secrets.com

jodie
  3. cerise

cerise New Member

but the agency that is supposed to be helping you in your hour of need, can become the biggest problem & additional stressor in your life.

I have an attorney, but that's for the appeal process (ALJ hearings & federal court). I have been to every conceivable website that I find regarding SSDIB.

None of the websites (be it Social Security, advocacy, or support group sites) have any info dealing with this particular aspect of the disability process -- what happens AFTER you've been awarded SSI & the new & different type of determination process a person has to go through to reach an amount they will be awarded.

With all our combined years of dealing with the SSA, both my spouse and I were blind sided by this SSI process & the rules and regulations involved.

Just found out that if we get divorced, our disability benefits will be increased by at least $4,000 to $5,000 a year!

Something is very wrong with this system. Anybody who is awarded SSI and not SSDI, should be warned that it is a totally different process and do your homework!
  4. cerise

cerise New Member

still need help!!!
  5. DJones5162

DJones5162 New Member

Hi, I'm new here and have just been reading the posts but wanted to reply to your problem here. I am a member of a support group on the msn boards and they have a group specifically for social security disability and all of the terrors that go along with that. The web site address is:
    SocialSecurityDisabilityCoalition@groups.msn.com
    The site is a grassroots effort to reform the system and the founder has asked that as many people as possible sign the petition for SSD reform. If you will post a question to her, she will respond with a web address that will exactly answer your question. Hope this helps.
  6. over50

over50 New Member

just bumping for you !
  7. cerise

cerise New Member

Don't forget to post your Bio. It's nice to know where people are from and whatever else they want to share with us!

Again, thanks for the info. (I accidently deleted my previous response to you!)

Thanks "Over50" -- you're the best!

love the other Linda (49 & holding)