SSI IsTurning me into a

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Takesha, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Geesh, the SSI people are driving me nuts already! I received my first denial last week, but I expected that. What's driving me nuts is even though I have been on and off elavil for years,for a sleep disorder and depression caused by chronic pain and muscle rexalants for the muscle damage received in a fall in 96(For which I received a disability rating) and now a letter from my doctor stating he dx'd me with FMS and a degenative joint disease, they still say there is no evidence I am suffer from any one these ailments.What do they want blood? That wouldn't do me any good we all know nothing shows up in the lab work, ha ha. So I decided to keep going back to the doctor for every little thing, just to make sure it's documented and to ask for referrals for therapy. I am thinking about acupunture, has this helped for anyone?
    I wasn't suppose to go back for three months and since I've been going once a month I was looking forward to the break. However, DR. has had me on Amitriptyline(100mg) and cimetidine(for acid reflux). I read in all the med encyclopedias that your not suppose to take these two together, so now he's changing me to Nexium. The problems is the amitrip. dose knocks me out for 11-12 hours,so I take only 50 mg unless I have alot of neuro pain.Even then I sleep at least 10 hours. I am now getting an increase in migraines from the tight muscles and the Maxalt(rizatrptan-
    benzoate) doesn't even touch them.When I called to change my meds for the migraines I found out my pharmacy (that I have to use) only carries the one that doesn't work and the nurse said "talk to the doctor about Demerol". That ought to help knock me out and complete what the Amptrip. doesn't do (like the other 12 hours of the day)! I wish I'd been born better looking, I could be the next "sleeping beauty"!
    Well I have several good things going for me. First, one of my former professors is going to write a letter for SSI for me, and two my doctor is really good looking and he listens.
    Getting him to document everything I tell him is another story. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Takesha
    I came back to edit this after reading to Kathryns post to ask if Neurontin and Klonopin may be better than the amitrip. as far as sleeping? And does anyone have any problems with addiction with Klonopin. Also do they inhibit your sex drive?[This Message was Edited on 08/03/2003]
  2. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Bump, bump, bump. I am hoping someone will reply
  3. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Hey, I've been to the Uk, spent a month there total. Two weeks somewhere around Manchester. I loved it. I also spent two weeks in Scotland...want to go to Ireland next.
    I know your Health system is differnt and the waiting list for some procedures is long, if they do them at all. The sad thing here with Social security for the disabled is we pay into it so it's our money anyway! We just have to keep after them and not take no for an answer!
    Takesha
  4. iggie

iggie New Member

hi there Takesha, some people are lucky and win on the ist try but not many. It took me 4 yrs to win my pension and still have to fight for every little thing. They want you to give up, never give up the more professional documentation u have the better it is if you are seeing councilling for depression physio, chiro, anything give them what they need. I had to hire profession help to win my case and it worked could not do the paperwork and such on my own I was to depressed and exhausted from the pain to deal with them myself. Just some hints maybe they will help.
    Good luck
    Iggie
  5. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I know what you mean about the paper work. I have a paralegal with the disabilty advocacy. She may get 25% but from where I am sitting she deserves it! I went to speak to and Indpendent Living group and the lady was very down on people who get paid to file for us. She said she would do it for free. I looked around her office, and she had stacks of papers laying on top of partially eaten food. She couldn't find the phone numbers she wanted and took two calls from her son on her personal cell phone while I was there. She also called three other workers to get the names of agencies I needed because she couldn't remember there names. She was suppose to call me the next day with some important information and that was 3 months and 4 phone calls ago. Now, let's see, would I want her filing for me..NAW, I'LL PAY! Who knows maybe she has fibro too and is a little foggy!I'll stay the course and do what I can to give them what they are looking for. Thanks for the reply.
    Takesha