SSI "Mental Exam"??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Becci, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Becci

Becci New Member

SSI is sending me for this mental exam in re to my FM/inflammatory bowel disease disability application. Any hints out there for me on this? I already know my mental state sucks. Thanks for your help!
    Becci
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

be smart about it....if you don't take showers for days, you got to tell what our problems are...they will tell you at the beginning remeber three words...dontry really hard yo ay mor may not..my advice say i don't know...

my dad had his pschrist prime him for his ssdi eval...well he is a sober alcholic and many other things...abusive at that...anyways..my dad cursed and was belaignerent...they approved him basically said he is crazy...

that is all you want is to get approved...i had a dr ask me to draw these pics, copy them i didn't try too much...we went into detail about my childhood to marriage and divorce and everything an abused child went through...told i don't sleep at night...if i do its may an hour here and there....

lately i have been really getting told, you look tired,,,i am...

they may ask you to repeat a story back theat they tokld you..don't try to remember...if youdo remember use a different story and i can't remember anything els...

jodie
  3. ckzim

ckzim New Member

I took it back 4 yrs ago, now wheather it's the same I don't know...but probley.

You sit across from this man or woman...they ask you dumb questions like
    who's the president? And name four other presidents;
    He will say a set of numbers and ask you to repeat them back
    He will give you another set of questions that you have to give back...
    That's about it...it took maybe 15-20 min.

I was sure to be good and Fibroed out! Make your bed, run the vacum..etc..etc..before you go!
    You know the normal things others can do without feeling like they were hit by a mack truck!
    So don't worry...you'll be fine.
    Let us know how you do.

Hugs
    KathyZ
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it lasted over an hour long...he did ask me i got there told him i got mapquest and had no choice i had to drive myself and got mapquest and i stil got lost and couldn't find this place...

they put me in richmond california, just outside of oakland...bars up all over the business windows and many murders...told him about my panic attack in the car...

i had a lady do one back i don't a bout 4 years ago...and it didn't seem to last as long...i thinkit is almost individual

jodie
  5. Becci

Becci New Member

I had a feeling it would be one of these "useless" exams, and seeing as the day before I have to have a colonoscopy, I'm sure I'll just present as a "delightful" person! Do you all think that maybe answering a question with a question of my own will be beneficial? That is, if I can remember the question asked long enough to make a reply to it. thank you all for responding to me, it makes me feel like I'm not just being "lazy", like some people seem to want to think.
    I'll let you know how it went, there may be some jokes to share! May you all have an excellent next week, whatever excellent may be for each of you!
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It was a bad fibrofog day .I just told him I get depressed over the fibro.He said that was normal in the situation.Less than 5 Minutes.I got disability 1st try.
  7. day2day

day2day Member

but I still lost. Had to see the adj.....or what ever that judge is called.

When they ask why you can't work, they want to hear it in your own words, for you to articulate.

They also usually want to make sure you are of sound mind to be sure you can manage your own money......that is how it was with the guy I saw.

He was very upfront with me, told me what he was going to put in his findings, and was true to his word.

good luck with it all