SSI question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dragon06, Feb 26, 2007.

1. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have an SSI question that is not related to FM...I am just wondering if anyone knows the answer.

I have a friend that is on SSI for mental disorder. He lives with his Dad. We were thinking about him moving in with us and were wondering if SSI can stop giving him his benefit. Like saying "If you can move out from with your Dad then you don't need funding anymore".

Does anyone know how this works or where I could find out this information?
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Yes there is some problems where he is living and he would also just like to move out and be his own person...he just doesn't want to go to move in with us and have them think he is now competant because he is leaving his dad and take his money away.

His Dad is the payee right now for his money. If he needs to keep a payee I could be the payee for the SSI I have not problem with that.

BILLCAMO New Member

want to consider......

You may want to at least say that he is paying you for rent , utilities , and other living expenses. Care taking is another possible "expense". All of these will support that he is not actually living on his own. I don't like it , but sometimes you have to "play the game...".

Blessings ,

5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I really hope we can get him out of the situation that he is in now.

Keeping his SSI is vital though and he is very concerned they will take it away from him.

Anyone know what process we go through to have the payee transferred or it change so he can live with us?

Yes we will have a breakdown of rent, utils, cable, etc...for SSI to prove what his part of the payments are.
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

better late than never!! ha!
    Yes,..your friend can still continue his SSI as long as he says he pays a share for rent/room & board.And buys his own food.
    I know someone who did this for over a yr because she could'nt find a place of her own affordable.

hope this helps~