SSI/SSD QUESTION PLEASE SOMEONE ANSWER.

Discussion in 'Financial, Disability and Legal Resources' started by RichieD, Apr 14, 2011.

1. RichieD

RichieD New Member

I WON MY CASE FOR SSI/SSD I HAD CALLED SOCIAL SECURITY TODAY AND ASKED THEM TO CHECK THE STATUS ON MY CASE. THEY SAID THAT MY SSI CHECK IS GOING TO BE ISSUED ON MAY 1ST 2011. THEY ALSO TOLD ME I AM GOING TO BE GETTING RETROACTIVE SINCE 2006. THE PERSON I SPOKE TO ALSO TOLD ME THAT WHEN THEY WERE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT MY RETROACTIVE HE SAID THAT THE CHECK WAS GARNISHED FOR THE MONTHS THEY WERE GOING BACK. I DO OWE WELFARE MONEY FROM SEPT. 2009 TIL PRESENT. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS WHY IT WAS GARNISHED? ALSO ANOTHER QUESTION DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN I WILL RECEIVE MY SSD THEY SAID IT'S STILL BEING PROCESSED.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

First of all, I am not from SSA, I am not an attorney or representative. I am an SSD claimant who was approved for SSDI.

WELFARE LIEN:

Let's address Welfare liens first. In most states that allow disabled people with/without children to obtain welfare because you (the adult SSD applicant) is disabled and applying for SSD, you sign a paper at the Welfare office that provides a valid legal lien against your Social Security Disability monies that you receive when approved. Most people do not remember signing that lien because they do not completely read all the paperwork that welfare has them sign--and don't object to that lien. If you object, then you risk potentially having your SSD monies and welfare monies tied up until the welfare lien is resolved perhaps many months down the line. So don't fight that welfare lien as you will lose.

That lien is provided by welfare to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and noted in the SSA records as a lien against any monies you may receive when approved for Social Security Disability. So that is how the welfare liens work and it is not referred to as "garnishing" as no court is involved here, but instead it is satisfying a lien you voluntarily signed.

A garnishment is an action precipitated by an order issued by a court allowing a party to garnish usually wages, income, or bonuses from a third party.

SSI BACK PAY:

Because you are going to receive SSI, any sizable back pay is not paid in one lump sum like with SSDI, but instead is divided into several payments over many months. Because you have a lien that must be satisfied, it will cause a bit of a slowdown in the payment.

WHEN WILL YOU RECEIVE MONEY:

You said that you called "Social Security" today--does that mean you actually called the toll number for the Payment Center or did you call the regular non-toll 1-800 number for all of SSA?? If you look through back posts, I have a thread that has the actual toll number for the Payment Center.

SSA has a payment center that processes all monies that are paid to claimants as a result of approval for SSD. I have known of people that have waited for 6 months, some that have waited 3 months, and some that received money right away. It all depends on the Payment Center and no one knows for sure. Keep budgeting and spend sparingly until you receive your monthly money and then your various payments of back pay.

TAXES:

Because you will receive a sizable back pay, you probably will get all of it in 2011 and this might put you in the category of having to pay taxes on this large lump sum. What you can do is see a free tax preparer (AARP has free tax preparers that start I believe in January) and bring all your tax returns from 2006 to the present. Find out how to break down the SSD back pay and if it is advisable to claim it for the various years from 2006 through to 2010. It may be cheaper to amend your back taxes to add the back pay amounts--or it might be less expensive to claim all of the back pay for 2011. Only a tax preparer or accountant can really give you an expert opinion to that.

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2011]