SSI/SSDI -- hope this is helpful

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cece, Sep 5, 2002.

1. cece

cece New Member

Was advised by my social worker and claims adjuster of specific language to ease approval.

1. Using SS-accepted language: Fibro symptoms, at least for me, are especially brought on by stress. Ergo, get your docs to state in their reports/on apps for SSI/SSDI, that you don't react well to stress, the pain is exacerbated by stress, that you, like other people, are affected adversely by stress, leading to bouts of depression, extreme pain, sleeplessness, etc. This, apparently, is especially helpful if you're menopausal or "older" (50+).

2. Use of qualified diagnosis: your problem may actually be anxiety (what, us, anxious?????), but stating anxiety as a diagnosis will not win benefits. "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder", THAT will win benefits.

3. Get close to your various claims folks. Doing so may inspire them to find a way to get you approved.

Scary note: Did you know that SS chooses 2% of claims for Quality Assurance? They do in D.C., and my guess is that they do everywhere. If that happens to you, as it did to me receives the Feds' decision in 4-6 wks.

Even if your benefits are granted as a psych disability (v. a medical one), at least it's benefits! I'd rather have a creative claims adjuster at my local SS office who understands that SSI/SSDI benes for Fibro are ok'd only rarely (I think it currently stands at 17% of those who apply). Hopefully, in three yrs. at your 'verification interview', Fibro will be designated an "approved" medical disability. Then, it won't be such a battle to obtain what we rightly deserve.
  2. cece

cece New Member

Was advised by my social worker and claims adjuster of specific language to ease approval.

1. Using SS-accepted language: Fibro symptoms, at least for me, are especially brought on by stress. Ergo, get your docs to state in their reports/on apps for SSI/SSDI, that you don't react well to stress, the pain is exacerbated by stress, that you, like other people, are affected adversely by stress, leading to bouts of depression, extreme pain, sleeplessness, etc. This, apparently, is especially helpful if you're menopausal or "older" (50+).

2. Use of qualified diagnosis: your problem may actually be anxiety (what, us, anxious?????), but stating anxiety as a diagnosis will not win benefits. "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder", THAT will win benefits.

3. Get close to your various claims folks. Doing so may inspire them to find a way to get you approved.

Scary note: Did you know that SS chooses 2% of claims for Quality Assurance? They do in D.C., and my guess is that they do everywhere. If that happens to you, as it did to me receives the Feds' decision in 4-6 wks.

Even if your benefits are granted as a psych disability (v. a medical one), at least it's benefits! I'd rather have a creative claims adjuster at my local SS office who understands that SSI/SSDI benes for Fibro are ok'd only rarely (I think it currently stands at 17% of those who apply). Hopefully, in three yrs. at your 'verification interview', Fibro will be designated an "approved" medical disability. Then, it won't be such a battle to obtain what we rightly deserve.
  3. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

This is good information! Thanks for sharing!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)