ssmarilyn, please share your secret!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Nov 1, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Marilyn, you responded to my post about sensory overload and said that you were much improved, please tell me more, what are you doing???

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Marilyn, you responded to my post about sensory overload and said that you were much improved, please tell me more, what are you doing???

Jaci
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I would also like to know how you got it under control? Does living in the country help? I think it would help me, since teenage neighbor noise is my biggest problem....boomboxes playing that c(rap) stuff so loud our windows buzz.
    I cannot take Klonopin and have tried headphones and several types of earplugs with no results....they just don't block the noise. My hearing test showed I am in the top 1% of humans...almost as good as a dog, and I'll bet many of us with FMS are like that, since we are in a constant state of fight-or-flight which heightens our senses.
    So,Marilyn, what's your secret?
    KLutzo
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I moved to the country, and it has helped a whole lot, they even have laws here about that loud music in cars, which I so appreciate! Most of the restaurants and stores in this county area play soft music or fifties music, and that is also a great help.

I live on a dead end street, and only have one neighbor pass my house. So not much traffic either.

I have five acres, and let the front acre and a half grow till it looks like a thick wooded area (just the driveway is cleared), the other three and a half acres are in the back and sides, it stops any noise, also put up an 8ft. steel fence on both sides of the property for privacy. I only have about an acre cleared where the house and garage are, so I am truly in the middle of the woods by choice! There is also full grown live oak, magnolias, willow oak and pine trees that surround the house, so thats a great help too.

I would go bananas if I had to deal with noise all the time, my hearing is so acute, I hear a noise outside (with the a/c on) before my dogs do! My sense of smell is awesome too! This way I don't smell no gas fumes, and the dust is a distance away too.

The only thing I use to clean with is; peroxide, vinegar, and a small amount of bleach. Chemical cleaners are killers to me.

I don't know what Marilyn did, but this is my way of dealing with it!

Also a good pair of sunglasses work for the sun, and bright lights in some stores. My eyes are super sensitive to anykind of bright or flashing lights will make me sick.

Hope you fine your confort zone, it is such a big help!

I have an all electric house too, the gas drives me nuts!
    I can't even use the central heating, I use the fireplace if it gets cold, that does not mess up my sinus like the central does.

And going outside is a great pleasure, loads of plants, trees, birds and wild animals, no people with loads of purfume on!

My closest neighbor is at least two to three hundred feet away from my house.

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2002]
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

My nervous system was in overdrive, so I had to "deprogram" myself, so to speak. It took me over a year to do it, but I'm almost feeling completely normal now. I needed to preoccupy my mind while my nerves were settling down and re-establishing themselves. It takes a conscious effort to change the way you live at "home". My system needed to heal itself, so I needed to feed it gentleness and as much laughter as I could find. I watched a whole lot of Nick at Nick and TVL comedy sitcoms.....anything that would make me laugh. (funny movies too!) I read only positive things, such as Chicken Soup books, Joyce Meyers, etc... I had to learn how to become a more patient, forgiving and understanding person. Once I made the inside of me feel better, my mind settled down and my nervous system started to calm down and heal. I did whatever I could to make myself feel good, including lots of aromatherapy, buying myself little gifts, doing good things for my hubby and kids, and changing my diet from junk to healthy foods. My body needed a chance to heal and I was the only one that had the power to see that it would happen. Once my mind and heart felt more content and at peace, I could feel my nervous system starting to calm down. From my own experience, I now believe that we can heal our nerves just like we can recharge our adrenals.....without medications. In a nutshell, what I did was take a long, wonderful physical and mental vacation to a land of self-indulgence and peace. Of course, it sure didn't hurt to cultivate a closer relationship with God! I never thought I'd reach this level again. I was pretty much terrified that I would always feel like I was ready to jump out of my skin at any minute. Any sudden movement or noise would just make a wreck out of me. It was all I could do to FORCE myself to sit in a restaurant. It seemed like the voices of the other people and the sounds of the plates and silver was amplified and it drove me crazy! I am thankful beyond comprehension to have my mind and nerves back to normal. It also helped that I had no little ones running around at home, so I have lots of peace and quiet. I also have a very loving toy poodle that I swear was sent from heaven to help me heal myself. He's my best friend and my therapist! My stress levels are almost zero and I feel wonderful!!

Marilyn :)
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I cancelled the newspaper and stopped watching news a long time ago. I listen to soothing music. I watch Planets Funniest Animals a lot, and Friday Night Standup to help me laugh. I do need more laughter though; thanks for reminding me to work on that. I read somewhere that the average person laughs 16 times per day. I'm lucky if I laugh even once. I'm so glad you've achieved this level of freedom!
    Klutzo
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As many of y'all know, taking Klonopin has greatly reduced my sensory overload. Sometimes I don't even take them during the day, but if I know I'm going out into the bright sunlight or going someplace noisey, I slip 1/4 tablet under my tongue and it does the trick.

Love, Mikie
  8. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i would love to find a pair i could wear out in stores. most are uncomfortable to say the least?

i did stop watching the news on tv and reading the newspaper (did this for 15 years)years ago. others think that is just plain "stupid" i'm glad i read someone also did this and it helps. there is enough bad news without being bombarded by it every second. a good way to keep up with current events is a good glance at your world news page on your computer, check out the weather and you are set for the day. plus, if you happen to have any social contact, hehe, you at least will have a clue what's happening out there!

warm regards, fibolady
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Just curious, but does Klonopin actually help rid yourself of this problem, or does it just mask it? I don't even know what Klonopin is!

10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Sorry, no book to recommend....I just felt a desperate need to escape the chaos, plus I felt like I was ready to take off to the moon, so sought out peace in anyway I could find it. I know that since I don't take pills for my recovery, many might roll their eyes and turn the other way, but it worked for me, and I was to the point of desperation! I knew in my heart that I needed to heal and recharge my nerves. My instincts have served me well for 51 years now, so I really trusted them.

Wait a minute....I recall reading some info about adrenal exhaustion and sensory overload. Let me try find it and put it up here. I'll start a separate thread for it so everyone will know it's there.

Mariyln :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2002]
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

What do you mean by visualization? I think I might know, but want your definition. Why don't you start a separate thread on this, because I might lose this one!

WHOA!! You milk goats?? I've milked a few Holsteins myself!

[This Message was Edited on 11/02/2002]