St Johns Wort and EBV

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Issa77, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Issa77

Issa77 New Member

I have heard that St. Johns Wort works against EBV and I have been on it now for about 1.5weeks. I am feeling pretty bad right now - I think it is what you all would call herxing.

I found this info on St. Johns Wort.

In addition to St. John’s wort’s use as a natural remedy in the treatment of depression, the herb has demonstrated antiviral and antibacterial capabilities.
    Studies indicate that hypericin, the active component of St. John’s wort, inhibits the capability of the offspring of certain viruses to replicate. Additionally, it was found that hypericin also appeared to directly inactivate the replication process of certain viruses that previously had the capability. Viruses studied include human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), herpes simplex virus types I and II, Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and influenza types A and B.
    St. John’s wort also appears to have broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity. The organisms studied include Staphylococcus aureus (Staph), Streptococcus mutans (Strep) and Escherichia coli (E. coli).

Has anyone else tried this??
  2. cct

cct Member

I took big doses of St. John's Wort many years ago (10 - 12 years ago). St. John's had been recommended to me for my migraine headaches.

After a couple of years of trying the herb, I finally quit taking St. John's Wort because it did not help my headaches.

I did not know that St. John's has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. Perhaps I should reconsider St. John's because I need all the anti-viral and anti-bacterial help that I can get!