St. John's Wort dosage?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cakedec, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

What is the normal dosage to take St. John's Wort for depression/anxiety? Also, should it be spread out through the day and can it be added to Sam-E or should they be used separately?

Deb
  2. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Recommended dosage is usually 900 mg. of an extract standardized to .3% hypercin daily, but start off slow and build up, taper off if you quit rather than stopping abruptly. There's seems to be a big difference in brands.

There are two different types of SJW. One is standardized to hypercin, the other to hyperforin as well. Hyperforin standardized extracts were used in clinical trials, but some people prefer the more widely sold hypercin varieties.

Some people take it through the day. If you find it energizing you might want to take more in the morning, if it has a sedating effect for you, more in the evening.

I'm not sure about mixing with Sam-E, but I'd be cautious. If you take multiple things that increase serotonin it can be pretty risky.
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It is one of my favourite herbs, and more multi purpose than people know. In N. America, its only touted as an a.d., but it is used for shingles, neuralgia, PMS, anxiety, and to normalize sleep, though its not like a sleeping pill.

I start at 300 mgs and that does me for a few mths. Like anything, you can build tolerance and have to increase the dose, but 600 mgs or less has done me the last yr.

There is a huge range of potencies between brands, and many ways to take it. Pill, capsule, tincture, bulk herb, tea (lovely tasting tea btw). I'll warn you right now, don't waste your time w/ Jaimeson brand, its like taking a sugar pill.

The standardization thing doesn't mean much to me, becaue its the synergy of all the ingredients of the whole herb that works best. That's a big part of why Jaimeson probably doesn't work, sure they standardize the herpericin, but they use only 200 mgs of the bulk herb, as opposed to the usual 300 mgs, and some brands even use up to 450 mgs, better yet in my books.

I wouldn't be too concerned about taking it w/ Sam-E. Doesn't hurt to watch out for side effects no matter what new thing you try though. But there is a popular site that rates the best supplements for various illnesses, FM/CFS being one, and it was said that Sam-E or 5HTP, and St. John's Wort w/ magnesium maleate were a powerful combo for symptom control.

Jeanne
  4. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

Thanks, Shooting Star.
    I didn't know about the tapering off. Forgot to take one the other morning and had an anxiety attack when my friend's big dog jumped up on me and wouldn't stop scratching.

Jeanne in Canada. What is the popular site that rates the best supplements for illnesses called or where could I find it?

Deb

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I was told by doctor that St John's Wort should NOT be taken with the birth pill.

So check it out if necessary.

Rosie