STAIRS Trouble going up stairs anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Mar 23, 2007.

1. I am lucky I don't have stairs at home, but when I go places there are always stairs. I feel like 100 yrs old. Is it just me or is it part of fibro?
  2. moab341

moab341 New Member

Are my enemy! I avoid them, mainly because I am afraid of falling.
    I have them at home, but they are carpeted and I don't do too bad with them.

I bet we aren't the only ones!
  3. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

I get out of breath. I have Neurally mediated hypotension which is a form of orthostatic hypotension, and my doctor told me that one of the symptoms is having trouble going up stairs.

My knees used to bother me (pain), but good results taking 3 grams of glucusamine sulfate per day.
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

(Me, again).

YES!!! Sometimes I can get up them alright; but, most of the time, I am either totally winded by the time I get to the top (plus my legs feel like they have lead in them), or else I don't even make it to the top and have to sit down or stop for a minute.

Unfortunately, we have to climb an entire flight of stairs to get INTO our house!!! (It really stinks when groceries come in). My husband had this house built for him and his ex-wife 20 years ago and he refuses to even consider selling it and buying/building US a new one...BLAH!

TerryS
  5. coolma

coolma New Member

Got rid of the stairs and I got rid of 3/4 of my leg pain. Finally got a one level place to live and it's great! First year I wasn't crying with knee and leg pain in 20 years. For some reason it really hits us in the knees. Good luck! You may think you can't make any moves, but it's worth it long term.
  6. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

If there was a TON of money at the top of the shortest flight of stairs I'm afraid I would have to remain poor. My body would not be able to do it. I couldn't even try. I think I would die on the 3rd step.

This has only been since I was dx with the CFS. I could have made it (slowly) when I was dx with FM only.
  7. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I have alot of stiffness in the AM so it's hard to get downstairs. Sometimes I take the steps one at a time holding on to the rail.During the day it's easier but I may have to make a pit stop to llay on the bed before I get going again because of leg weakness and dizziness.Evenings are the worst so once I go up I stay there until AM.The stairs are uncarpeted and I wish we had only one level.
  8. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I live up a steep staircase and commute daily up and down subway stairs dodging fellow commuters annoyed anyone needs the bannister.

Stairs mean pulling aching crackling and sometimes spastic joints up a step at a time grabbing the bannister to hold on and juggling my briefcase and anything else.

Sometimes as my train stop approaches, I sit there and actually debate with myself what would happen if I just stayed on the train....its that exhausting.
  9. Katchina

Katchina New Member

hi

I have M.E. and quite likely FMS as well, so of course I cant manage the stairs, but now I have a stairlift, its not a problem, not at home, anyway.

10. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I avoid steps if possible. So happy when I see an elevator!I too have to sit down once I get to the top of them. I have steps at home, doing laundry is a pain. It's crazy to see someone twice my age go up them with no problem!
  11. I use an elevator if at all possible. I avoid stairs, but sometimes you can't. Oh just another fun thing that comes along with this dd we call fibromyalgia. NOT!
  12. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

We're having a hard time finding a one level condo. They're all two stories around my area!
  13. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Stairs were one of my major problems with school. I could never make it up them in time or when I did I would make it to class and just crash.

When they put me on 504 they gave me elevator privilages, but the elevator wasn't located anywhere near any of my classes. It was shorter and took less time to take the stairs O_O

I've started doing better with stairs but I still hate them....I hate them less than elevators tho, so generally when there are stairs, I'll use them.

Elevators are creepy.
  14. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I can make it up about three steps and that is hanging on to the banister and then i have to stop. at my moms house i actually crawl up the stairs. going down is just as bad for me so i slide on my butt to go down them as for carrying anything up or down just doesn't happen. unfortunely you really can't crawl up the stairs or slide down them so all i can do is hope there is an elevator. most handicaped buildings are equiped with a elevator. thank god......SueF
  15. VeniceQueen

VeniceQueen New Member

I glad you brought this up, It's nice to relate. I didnt realize that its so common with fibro. I always get to thinking something else is wrong with me, then I read a thread on fibro that lists my problems too, and it helps.

Best wishes to all fo you,

Michelle
  16. Yes its nice to know we are not alone in the fibro weird symtoms.
  17. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Stairs are hard on me as well.

Going down I MUST hold the handrail, no matter what time of day. My legs are very weak and I'm very afraid that my legs will collapse and I'm going to fall down the stairs.

Going up the stairs I hold the rail for support. I can climb an entire set of steps but half way through I want to stop and rest. I push myself to climb the rest of the way. When I get to the top my legs are like limp noodles.

To think I used to be a personal trainer and used the stairmaster for 40 - 60 minutes straight!
  18. LeftCoast

LeftCoast New Member

You walk in at ground level, kitchen and living up a full flight of stairs, bedrooms up another full flight of stairs.I've lived here three years and I still can't get used to them. Every time I get to the top of a flight I am winded and dizzy. Never fails. Not to mention how many times I've fallen down them. LOL
  19. skikat

skikat New Member

i have not been able to use stairs except 3 or 4 for a lomg time. but i also have not been able to attend curch because of this. and i was sooo hungry to go that i decided to go with my accoiate who thold me that thhey had a great church that she had found. so one morning i decided to go by myself since it was only 5 miles from my home. well we got there(she met me) and when i looked, the sanctuary was on the 2nd floor! i panicked! she said, i will help you . so with many stops, we made it up there with her on one side hanging on to me and the handrail on the other., well during service i was in so much weakness and pain in my legs that i couldnt wait for it to be over . but the people were sooo sweet. but this is what happened. we got to the stairs and i couldnt eve make 2 steps. the weakness was awful and the pain unbearable. she was trying to help me but there was a big-built man that came to our aid. he got on the outside of me and almost carried me down tht long flight of stairs! i was so embarrassed that i could die! they all knew that i was also a minister as my accoiate had told them and had traveled with me. needless to say, another one, that i wont try again. be glad when the healing comes if it does. bless you all. .... ski
  20. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I have to take the steps one at a time.Very time consuming. The times when I take a few steps like a normal person,my knees almost dislocate.(another major issue with me for 32 yrs.)