Stand Up for Yourself

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kredca4, Aug 31, 2002.

1. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have mentioned before that I have more problems with the Pharmacy's that with my Doctors.

Last Sunday, I went to get my Vistril's, I need them for the Histamine problems I have. You can not just stop this med cold turkey either. So I wasn't to happy with them when they said we have to reorder the Vistril and they should be in by Tues.
    They gave me 15, and when I went back on Tues., they were still out. I said I'd be back on Fri because I needed to get my Vicodins refilled then too.

Well I go back and guess what? They Still didn't have my Vistrils. The clerck started giving me a line, and I said hold it right there. How can you run out of a Medicine that people need? She starts in again with the same old line.

While we were discussing this, the delivery guy shows up, they had the Vistrils alright but it was a different Brand of Generic. I told her, that I was very uncomfortable with changing even the Generic bands. She assured me that it was the same Medicine, just magr differently.
    Well I hurried out and didn't really take a good look at the color of the Caps. I should have.
    They were red on one end.

So I went on line to see what the pills were made of.
    I use the Rx.com site. They had the Red dye #33 in them and I am allergic to Red dyes.
    It also said that the dye was an "Inert" indegerdient, (sorry spelling sucks).
    Inert means that, 1. Not active, sluggish
    2. In chemistry, having little or no tendency or ability to react with other chemicals.

Dumb me, I took one to see what would happen. Two hours into the med and I had a Huge Headache.
    I called the Pharmacy back and told them, there was a different Pharmacist working, and he said well bring them back, we have some of the others on the shelf.

I informed him, that I was disabled, my car was not running and that I was not able to take either a Cab or bus over there again to get what I should have been given in the first place.

Pluse the Fact that it's on my Records there, that I am allergic to red dye. They have had to hunt for other Meds in the past for me that didn't contain the dye. So there was no excuse for giving me that other one.

He said sorry, there's nothing I can do. Come in and they will exchange it. So I hung up Mad as a Wet cat.

I thought about it, and got very nervous, I need to stay on the Vistril's, so I called the Store back and asked for the Manager. I told him what had happened and I felt that it was their place to correct the Mistake.

He was here within 30 minutes with the correct Generic brand, and I gave him the other's back.

I was nice, but Firm about getting the correct med. I have had problems before with the different Generic bands, and I always get told, you can't tell the difference, that all Magfs. follow the same resapie, Bull, I can tell the idfference. I use the same brand of Generics for, my Vicodins, Somas, Vistrils, and if I have to change a Pharmacy to make sure I get thoes brands I do.

FMS, I believe is the reason that I am so sensitive to even the Generic brands. Some are stronger than others, and some feel like you (I) have taken a sugar pill, no relief at all. Just one more weird thing about me, lol.

The Pharmacist are all getting some Information that I have printed off of Dr. Starlanyl's site, she has information that you can print out and give to different caregivers, such as the Pharmacist, Neurologist, Dentist, etc.

I just had to vent, even tho they fixed the problem, I had to go through a Stinking headache that could have been avoided.

Well hopefully today will be better. And for you all too.
    Sincerely,
    kredca4

that website at;
    http://www.sover.net/~devstar
    at the side of the homepage there is a Menu for the different Doctors and such. I have a copy of them all, just incase.

2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I have mentioned before that I have more problems with the Pharmacy's that with my Doctors.

Last Sunday, I went to get my Vistril's, I need them for the Histamine problems I have. You can not just stop this med cold turkey either. So I wasn't to happy with them when they said we have to reorder the Vistril and they should be in by Tues.
    They gave me 15, and when I went back on Tues., they were still out. I said I'd be back on Fri because I needed to get my Vicodins refilled then too.

Well I go back and guess what? They Still didn't have my Vistrils. The clerck started giving me a line, and I said hold it right there. How can you run out of a Medicine that people need? She starts in again with the same old line.

While we were discussing this, the delivery guy shows up, they had the Vistrils alright but it was a different Brand of Generic. I told her, that I was very uncomfortable with changing even the Generic bands. She assured me that it was the same Medicine, just magr differently.
    Well I hurried out and didn't really take a good look at the color of the Caps. I should have.
    They were red on one end.

So I went on line to see what the pills were made of.
    I use the Rx.com site. They had the Red dye #33 in them and I am allergic to Red dyes.
    It also said that the dye was an "Inert" indegerdient, (sorry spelling sucks).
    Inert means that, 1. Not active, sluggish
    2. In chemistry, having little or no tendency or ability to react with other chemicals.

Dumb me, I took one to see what would happen. Two hours into the med and I had a Huge Headache.
    I called the Pharmacy back and told them, there was a different Pharmacist working, and he said well bring them back, we have some of the others on the shelf.

I informed him, that I was disabled, my car was not running and that I was not able to take either a Cab or bus over there again to get what I should have been given in the first place.

Pluse the Fact that it's on my Records there, that I am allergic to red dye. They have had to hunt for other Meds in the past for me that didn't contain the dye. So there was no excuse for giving me that other one.

He said sorry, there's nothing I can do. Come in and they will exchange it. So I hung up Mad as a Wet cat.

I thought about it, and got very nervous, I need to stay on the Vistril's, so I called the Store back and asked for the Manager. I told him what had happened and I felt that it was their place to correct the Mistake.

He was here within 30 minutes with the correct Generic brand, and I gave him the other's back.

I was nice, but Firm about getting the correct med. I have had problems before with the different Generic bands, and I always get told, you can't tell the difference, that all Magfs. follow the same resapie, Bull, I can tell the idfference. I use the same brand of Generics for, my Vicodins, Somas, Vistrils, and if I have to change a Pharmacy to make sure I get thoes brands I do.

FMS, I believe is the reason that I am so sensitive to even the Generic brands. Some are stronger than others, and some feel like you (I) have taken a sugar pill, no relief at all. Just one more weird thing about me, lol.

The Pharmacist are all getting some Information that I have printed off of Dr. Starlanyl's site, she has information that you can print out and give to different caregivers, such as the Pharmacist, Neurologist, Dentist, etc.

I just had to vent, even tho they fixed the problem, I had to go through a Stinking headache that could have been avoided.

Well hopefully today will be better. And for you all too.
    Sincerely,
    kredca4

that website at;
    at the side of the homepage there is a Menu for the different Doctors and such. I have a copy of them all, just incase.

3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I've found that asking to speak to a manager makes all the difference in the world. Employees who have a situation like this should always go to the manager, but too often they don't.

How many other people who go to that pharmacy might be helped by what you did??? Hopefully, the mananger had a little chitchat w/ his employees...with attitudes (not giving the correct info) like that, a lawsuit is inevitable. I'm sure the manager thought of that too, & hopefully, other people & you will now receive better care.

I've usually taken generics when available, not only for otc but for scripts too. However, your post (herblady had one that got me thinking)cemented my decision to look further into this, since I do seem to be developing new sensitivities. So thank you, 1 person helped!

Sorry you had to go thru the headache & stress, but like so many others have done, you managed to turn it into a positive to help others. Thanks again. Michele
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad you made them correct their mistake! Its about time someone tell them off and make them do the right thing.

I hope he chewed out the whole staff there. I worked in a pharmacy years ago, and we were always told that the customer is 'right', in those days! Today most people don't care what happens to others.

We had a prescription to fill a few months ago, and it said the exact name brand on the scrip., well we had to drive 50 miles between drugstores to get that filled. All the others stores had to offer was the generic. I was so surprised at this.

Since them we call and ask if they have a particular brand before we go.

When we did find the right store, we had to wait two hours for them to count out 6 pills! I had to go sit in the car I was so exausted walking around a drugstore.

Sorry you had a bad headache from them. I was explaining to my daughter yesterday about fillers and stuff with the different generic brands of meds.

I will send her the site you listed.

Thanks for the information.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Unless it's a DEA (& I just don't know, you could check), I fax my prescriptions in first. I put my address and birthdate (& rewrite my name if it's unclear) on the script. Then I give them about an hour & go. I've done this for my local pharmacy & also for Martin's (Giant) grocery/pharmacy.

You have to take in the original script to pick it up, but it saves the waiting. (And of course you'd have to check for the fax number).

Happy Sunday afternoon!
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

by getting our drugs from www.drugstore.com. They have an 800 # for docs to call in meds, and you never have to deal with a written script. You can order refills online or by phone, and they are always helpful. If you can put up with the Canadian system, which uses different names and doses on some things and won't give you controlled drugs, you can save even more at www.canadiandrugstore.com. The only drawback with online drugs is you must be the sort of organized person who thinks ahead and checks to see if you are getting within 2 wks. of running out. It used to take only 3 days to get scripts from them, but since 9/11 it has been taking about 8 days. We save enough every yr. to buy a new computer!
    Klutzo
  7. dlizard

dlizard New Member

you may or may not relaize that you could have sued them for this mistake. Clearly they goofed by giving you the wrong med ( the one with the dye, that's the wrong med)... anyway, if I were you I'd talk to the store manager about your meds and tell them if they can't keep stuff for you and anticipate your needs , you'll find someone else who can and WILL*.... ya'll we all seem to run into the "buttholes" of the world... maybe we are here to test them or soemthing LOL>>>>> but I agree be firm and express your needs. Good luck!
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

That was one very SEVERE error made on the pharmacist's part!!! WOW.

What if you had had an anaphylactic reaction??????

EEEEEeeeeeggggggaaaaaddddddssssss.

Fondly,
    June
  9. tired42long

tired42long New Member

You are too funny! I have had to learn to be tough also. People just don't get it. It is funny, they think they are experts, but as we see on our board, most of us know more about this than the docs and pharmacists...they don't have time for such trivial things! SERIOUSLY! For me it has been member services with an HMO that is not wanting to test for any other lurking little problems. It is a "John Q" problem on a smaller level but it IS the truth.We pay in for years and years....they have to be pushed to give us what we need. I'm getting NO help cause my regular doc says to "go home and rest, and eat right". I'm so sick of someone telling me this is just going to melt away...they know the % of people that just 'walk away from this or are suddenly placed in remission....it is slim. Thank God people llike you and this site itself has shown us that it takes ACTIVE care and fighting for yourself to beat this illness or treat it best we can (with meds for pain, etc.) that will help us WIN or at least hold our own. People should not have to fight this hard, especially when we pay for these "goods and services".!!
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

Good for you for standing up for your needs! I agree, not all generics are the same, and not all of them work like the brand name drugs. October 1 my insurance will change our drug coverage, increasing the copays by about 3 times, and we can have meds not in the formulary if we want to pay $35 for the prescription. Can't decide if that last part is a good thing or not. I get most of my long term meds by mail, get 3 months worth for one copay. Does take some organizing and planning ahead, but saves money and time and energy. Never thought I'd be supporting the pharmaceutical industry!

Peace,
    Beth.
  11. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I had to go back to the store today, and while I was there I wwent over to the Pharmacy to double check on my Meds.

I guess someones Butt got chewed out, because before I even said a word, the Pharmacist and the Tech, siad that from now one my Med in the Brand of Generic I use will always be on stock.

The two Gals that were working today are the Best Employees they have in the Pharmacy. I laughed and said that from now on I'll only come in when they are working.
    This Pharmacist that was working today, is the one that spent 4 hours looking for a Hormone that I could take that didn't have Red dye in it. She had Flaged my records there, the other gal, just was in a hurry and didn't check.

So I'm happy again, and I like dealing with the same Pharmacy, and I also like to beable to pick mine up.

I do not trust the mail. My hubby's Employer mails his check to him, and one time it was 2 weeks before it showed up. Another time it got attached to the person's check just ahead of him, they do it all by machines, and they stuck togeather.

So I perfer to just go to the Pharmacy, it also is another reason for me to get out of the House. lol,

Thanks for your reply's and support, I know I could have transfered the Refill I had on the med, and then pay cash for it, then Sued them for giving me the wrong med.
    I have been down this road before and Suing someone dosen't always work, I think that getting them to reliaze the Mistake was made and getting them to correct it was the better course of action. I was Nice but Firm. Maybe saved someone else problems later.

Well that's one problem solved in my life, lol, now to get the Hubby moved without having a Stress induced Flare, that's a Big problem to me, lol, and I don't have to lift a finger and I still will be tired, and nervous.

Have a Painfree day all,
    kredca4/sharon