Starr's Trivia is BACK!!! (At least for today..... lol)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EgyptStarr, Feb 7, 2006.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

And this one is "dedicated" to fight4acure, since she's my biggest Trivia "fan" and specifically asked me to post one again!

Peanut butter facts! (Today we have a Triple Trivia bonus, since I have 3 peanut butter facts to share!)

1. There are 1,218 peanuts in a single 28 oz. jar of Jif peanut butter.

2. Peanut butter was invented by St.Louis physician Ambrose Straub, who, concerned about the nutrition of his elderly, toothless patients, concocted a health-food product that was high in protein and easily digestible.

3. Peanut butter's high protein content draws moisture from your mouth - which is why, in the end, it always sticks to the roof of your mouth.

Hugs!
    Starr

2. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

And adding one more...... a little more interesting.

The word "news" was coined from the fact that early daily papers carried images of globes on their mastheads and boasted that their reports came from all directions: North, East, West, and South. (notice the first letter of each one, then put them together to form the word).

Hugs!
    Starr

3. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

4. victoria

victoria New Member

---------and here I thought Carver had invented peanut butter since he did so much with the peanuts anyway...

And never knew that about the word 'news' - interesting, love stuff like that...

it fascinates me when I see people speaking other languages but you can make out the computer words and words from our language like okay that obviously have come from movies... and how words take on new meanings... and are coined.

and more trivia...

Stephen Colbert has sort of coined 'truthiness', LOL,
    I read this online about it:

In October, on Colbert's debut episode of the "Daily Show" spinoff, the comedian defined "truthiness" as truth that wouldn't stand to be held back by facts. The word caught on, and last week the American Dialect Society named "truthiness" the word of the year.

(AP carried the story without mentioning Colbert) The Oxford English Dictionary has a definition for "truthy" dating back to the 1800s. It's defined as "characterized by truth" and includes the derivation "truthiness."

Though slight, the difference of Colbert's definition and the OED's is essential. It's not your typical truth, but, as The New York Times wrote, "a summation of what (Colbert) sees as the guiding ethos of the loudest commentators on Fox News, MSNBC and CNN."

thanks, Starr

all the best,
    Victoria
  5. ScooterD

ScooterD New Member

LOVE the trivia Starr - thanks! And for your added enjoyment, when I was a little kid my dad use to sing this song to me. (Anyone else know of it?):

Peanut sitting on the railroad track,
    Heart was all a-flutter!
    Along came the 2:15,
    Peanut Butter!

goofy huh? LOL

Scooter
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

ALLERGIC to peanuts! I don't go into breathing difficulties, but I get hives which are awful things. It came later in my life. However, I have substituted almond butter and love it as much now.

Sigh. It is more costly, however.

Thanks for the info...love your little ditties.

Sue