Started coconut oil, the good and bad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I started taking unrefined virgin coconut oil a few weeks ago. I thought maybe I would start with spreading it on whole grain toast in the morning. I think I started with too much, two tablespoons on the toast.

Okay, maybe it's just me, but this stuff made me feel very warm, like my temperature went up a little, or maybe what it would feel like to be in menopause (I'm not in menopause yet, although I'm 44) It also made me feel a little nauseated for about a week.

After about 3 days, I felt intense fatigue. With my FM, pain is usually the big problem with me and the fatigue is secondary. When I do get fatigue,I felt the usual fatigue of weakness, fibrofog, and I just felt out of it.

The good part!!! My cravings for sweets has practically vanished, it's amazing. Craving sugar is one of the big problems with me and I could actually pass it up now, unless I'm two days before my period, but even then, my cravings have gone down.

I am actually sleeping better, but I doubt that has anything to do with the coconut oil. I think maybe for the first few days, I took too much of the oil, and I should have started with only one tablespoon, not sure.

I want to continue because I have heard that in the long run, it will help with weight because the oil can stabilize your blood sugar levels, and eventually help with weight loss, although I'm still not sure if this has been proven. I'm on week three with the oil and was wondering if any of you think it would be okay to continue with the two tablespoons or should I try the recommended 4 tablespoons a day.

The bad effects are starting to go away, but I'm so sensitive to everything and have to take baby steps. What do you think? Hugs to all, Chelz.

2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It's supposed to be very good for glandular problems and heart problems. I've also read that it's antiviral. I've never tried it on a regular enough basis. It usually seems to cause skin breakouts in me.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Consuming a 1/4 cup per day of any fat can't be healthy and I would certainly think it would lead to weight gain, not weight loss. Olive oil and flax seed oil have certainly been shown to have health benefits over the years, but no one would recommend you have 1/4 cup per day; more like 1 tablespoon daily.

I couldn't find any "good" research on the health benefits of Coconut oil. The closest I came was from the Mayo clinic on Caprylic acid capsules. "This fatty acid, derived from coconut oil, has been shown to have antifungal properties".
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

According to the Mayo Clinic there is no proof that Coconut oil helps to stimulate the thyroid, infact, there was some evidence that it would have a negative impact on the thyroid. This became a popular belief a few years ago after an article appeared in "Woman's World" magazine in 2003.