Started Famvir Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Today I took my first Famvir tablet--250 mg.

My doctor recommends 2 tablets per day.

What do you think of this dosage? He said it was pretty low, but I may just take one per day for a while (maybe a week or so) to see if anything bad (like a massive herx) happens.

Has anyone taken this? What has your experience been?

I will inform you of my experience as I go along.

If it doesn't work (or has major side effects), he said he was going to try Valcyte next. However, that was a month ago, and his experiences since then may have changed his thoughts on that matter.....who knows.

Thanks!!!!

2. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

bumping 4 lisa
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I started out with two of them and that was a preventive dose prior to facial surgery. That I went into a complete, but temporary, remission signaled to my doc and me that I had chronic viruses and needed to take the
    Famvir longer. I took it for a while and then pulsed it. Finally, I stopped taking it and started the transfer factors. I still pulse the TF's. I keep Acyclovir now just in case of a reactivation such as the one I have now following my surgery. I can't afford the Famvir and my insurance doesn't cover it. The Acyclovir works as well for me but has the side effect of upsetting my stomach and making me feel unwell.

Sometimes, starting out slowly to test the waters is prudent. That way, if there is a strong immune reaction, one can work one's way up in dosage. I had to do that with the TF's, which produce far greater immune responses. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie