Started LTD Paperwork with UNUM Provident today....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kirschbaum26, Jun 28, 2006.

1. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

A bit freaked out about it. My company used to provide 12 months of STD, but now it is just 6 months, and then on to the LTD insurance company. My immediate problem seems to be uncontrolled RA Flare as well as a new symptom of atrial fibrillation with rapid ventricular response. I am off to see a cardiologist today, so I am a bit freaked out. I am only 44, and have always been very active in sports and activities...never imagined that heart problems would be my destiny. Hopefully, it is related to the ENBREL or the HUMIRA and not the long term affects of prednisone, or my poorly perfomring liver. I did not even mention my FMS...as it is not the reason that I am out of work.

Both my PCP and my rheumatologist did not think that I was working...cannot be a good sign. My therapist also said that she would be happy to help with any paperwork needed...geez, guess I should have thought about this long ago. Fortunately, I signed up for the additional LTD insurance, and believe that I will get 70% of my salary for life. Of course, if/when I am awarded SSDI, that amount will be used to get me to the 70%. Still, I could manage just fine on that amount...as long as I moved out of Los Angeles County!

Has anyone had any interaction with this company?

Thanks.

Ingrid
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

tHE FEDS HAVE BEEN ON THEM AND THEY ARE AWFUL. JUST AWFUL.

There have been expose's on them on the news.

However, since they have clamped down on them, then they have straightened up, a little, I think.

fIRST OF ALL, if your docs thought you haven't been working because of your illness, that means they recognize your problems.

Just make sure you get a job description of what you did, and then you may have to address point by point, how you simply cannot do it.

Let's face it, getting showered, dressed, and to work is almost TOO MUCH TO EXPECT OF MOST OF US, let alone the work.

IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE WHERE IT IS PERMISSABLE, RECORD YOUR CALLS WITH THEM, YOU MAY NEED TO BE ABLE TO PROVE WHAT THEY SAY.

They may follow you.

Get your job description and take your time going point by point with the fact that you simply cannot do that, with or without special chairs, etc. and you may need to give it to your docs, as well.

Doctors hate forms, and their staff hates them, and they will not spend a great deal of time on them, AND THE INSURANCE COMPANIES OVERLOAD THEM, KNOWING THAT.

If you are able, ask, and complete the questions for them, at their office, with your records on hand, or at home, partially, be meticulous in sticking to what is documented, and point out anything which has not been documented.

Then, the doctor can review it and agree or disagree with it.

My doc is like that. I get the forms, take my time doing the response on the computer, print it, he goes through it, initials the things, and signs. HE IS HAPPY TO DO THAT, AND HIS NURSE LOVES IT TOO.

They just add their tele number and fax, and say that they do not hand complete forms such as theirs, and that their computer system doesn't have their form, so they answer it on Word. That is true.

By being able to work with your doc, like this, they are more willing to take on the insurance, etc. companies for you. Let them know, however, that it took you a long time to think about and be able to work a little at a time on the forms.

That is what I do, as it is the truth.