Started opana ER and now I have a problem

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cocoa19068, Nov 8, 2007.

1. cocoa19068

cocoa19068 New Member

I finally found a doctor that prescribed a medication that seemed to work, opana 40mg, for most of my aches and pains. The problem is I'm going on vacation to the caribbean and wanted to be able to drink while I was there so I wanted to see if taking only one opana a day and then having a few drinks would work. I did it for 3 days (no I'm not a lush just needed to see if it would work) and then had to stop cuz I started hurting worse than before I had ever started taking the opana. So I went back on the 2 opana a day (it's been about a week and a half) and I'm still hurting more than before I ever started the opana - it's like it's not working now when it use to when I first started it. He's even given me percocet 10mg for breakthrough pain and it's not helping either. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this or why the opana isn't working now when it did before? I need help cuz right now I don't see how I'm even going to be able to go on vacation. TIA, Bonnie
  2. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

I'm on 20mg 3x a day and I found out the hard way I cannot drink while I'm on this drug. On top of the return of pain, the alcohol effects are worse. I'm also on a med for breakthrough pain called Fentora, it's a fentanyl lozenge that seems to be helping, although the doc said to take it every 4-6 hrs, I need it every 4. As for fixing the issue you're speaking of, I don't know. I didn't really have that experience. The next day I felt fine. I'd stay away from the alcohol and focus on the other fun elements of vacation. As I said Opana and alcohol don't seem to mix well.

Good luck and try to enjoy your vacation. Perhaps you need to up the Opana to 3x a day, just a thought.

3. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

maybe you just need a few days to get over the drinks. They usually make my body hurt alot also. I hope the opana starts to work for you again, especially for your trip. Maybe you should call your DR and leave the drinking part out, just say that it isn't helping your pain anymore. I think if you tell him the drinking he may get upset and not help you. I hope you get help ASAP

4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

From what I read it's twice the strength of OxyContin. That really bothered me in the beginning. How am I ever going to stop taking this medication when I don't need it anymore?

My FM doc won't go any higher than 20 mg 2X per day. He claims the dose isn't high enough if it doesn't last 8 hours. Going higher is a bone of contention.

I quickly maxed out on the dose and it wasn't controlling my pain. That started my quest to figure out why pain meds weren't working for me.

After very extensive testing at FFC, I now know that I have Lyme induced fibro. This is another animal all together.

Your profile doesn't say where you live. Are you anywhere that Lyme is endemic? Do you have any history of a tick bite? Weird rash? Stiff neck? Racing mind? Insomnia from the devil?

I've never had one of those 8 hour meds last a full 8 hours. I've tried MS-Contin and OxyContin. With 12 hour meds you can't really cut back unless you lower the dose.

I don't think it's a very good pain reliever. I'd rather be on something every 4 hours that I can stretch out to every 5-6 if my pain is less.

Skipping doses is a bad idea becaue the pain spirals out of control. Then the pain is so bad nothing will touch it. That seems to be where you are now. I'd simply explain to the doc that you forgot one and can't get out from behind the pain 8-ball.

I would not mix this med with alcohol.

5. yellowstrawberry

yellowstrawberry New Member

What areas are having Lyme epedemics?
  6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Here is a link to the CDC's risk map:

Keep in mind doctors often treat but don't report every reportable disease. Some cases are positive but don't fit the CDCs strict criteria. To get a realistic estimate of how many cases there are multiply it by 20.

Some people get Lyme while on vacation and during hunting or camping trips. That's what happened to me. Since I live in IL I've gone to WI hundreds of times for vacation. My sister lives in NY and I used to visit her every summer. NY is very high risk for Lyme.

Every vet recommends treating pets for flea and ticks because ticks are everywhere except Antartica. Yet people docs write off the seriousness of tick bites and ignore that transmission can come from something other than tick bites.

The spirochete that causes Lyme has been found in fleas, mites, chiggers, biting flies and mosquitos. Spirochetes have been found in breast milk, semen, tears and urine.

It's very difficult to tell the difference between FM, CFS and Lyme. Some doctors believe most cases are untreated Lyme. I think pain that is not controlled by narcotics is a strong indicator that it's not FM.

I thought I had CFS since 1981 and then developed FM in 1997 after a whiplash car accident. In 2001, I was bit by a tick and had the bulls eye rash after camping in IL and IN. Two areas that are not high risk for Lyme according to the CDC.

According to the CDC several states have the wrong kind of tick for it to be called Lyme. In the area between MO and FL the transmission is happening from the Lonestar tick. In MT it's the Rocky Mountian wood tick.

Great article about the whole controversy:

7. Shobean

Shobean New Member

I have been on Opana Er for 6 months w/roxicodone for bt pain. I used to be on oxycontin er for over 5 years and found that I could play with my dosage a bit, lets say if I was allotted 5 per day and it was a really bad day I may take 6 knowing that on a little worse day I may have to to take 3 or 4 (you know med math). When I did this I had no problems with any type of withdrawal etc.
    I assumed when my dr. moved me to opana due to worsening pain that it would work the same way....boy was I wrong. At first when I ended up in the hospital for the worst pain in the 10 years I have had this dd I thought it was because I had the flu and was vomiting and not sleeping for over 10 days, then it happened 5 months in a row. I am now taking the opana EXACTLY as prescribed even though I go through hours in between doses where I want to die, but knowing how horrible the alternative is......I talked to my dr about it this month and he explained they told all of our dr's that it was stronger than oxy but safer because it worked on different chromosones and hormones. When he realized how sick I was (can't even brush my hair because it hurts, can't stand sheets to touch me, we all know the game) he is at a loss, do we detox off of Opana and go backwards to the oxy just so I don't have the detox effects and can take what I need? Will that work??? Will the oxy have to be higher? It is too new for anyone to know and I hate that I have become a guniea pig on accident and have lost all quality of life. I haven't driven, gone out or basically left my bed since being on Opana. I am lost but don't want it to happen to anyone else so I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted everyone to be careful......
  8. wangotango

wangotango New Member

40 mg 2 a day and have never been sicker vomiting all the time and i dont drink any more witth this disease. got back on ms contin 100 mgs 3 x a day and oxy ir for break thru i also have a brain tumor that causes bad headaches . i have been on opoids since 1996 but that opana was bad. the drug equilev to moriphine is 30mgs = 0.333 of opana. be well all.