Started Ultram - Update - Day 3

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I went to the doctor yesterday and he put me on Ultram ER (I think ER, extended something anyway). 100 mg once a day for 5 days then up it to 200. He said to take it the same time everyday and when I get to the 200 to take both 100 tabs at the same time, not one in the AM and one in the PM. He gave me samples and an RX to fill if it works for me.

I know a lot of you have been on it and there have been a lot of posts about it, but I wasn’t listening!

Can you tell me your experience?

Doc said it wouldn’t make me sleepy but I took it last night at 8 and was in bed by 9. I’m usually up until at least 10, but I couldn’t keep my eyes open. Didn’t even get to see all of Dancing with the Stars! Making me sleepy is not a bad thing because I don’t sleep, but it didn’t help me stay asleep anymore than if I hadn’t taken it.

Also noticed a taste in my mouth. Not a good one like chocolate, but just kind of yucky. (Can’t they make an aftertaste like chocolate? That would be much better!)

Does it take a while before you notice a difference? I mean, does it need to build up in your system before you get relief or should you notice it right away.

I have hydrocodone and doc said to use it for “break through” pain. I don’t really know what that is. I hurt so much all the time that I take the hydro several times a day, sometimes 3 (750’s). Will the Ultram make it so I will feel “normal” except sometimes and then I should take the hydro? Or will it just make my usual pain level lower so I can get by without so much of the hydro?

Thanks in advance!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  2. bluestanglady

bluestanglady New Member

I have to take both Ultram and Hydrocodone. I have to 'work' my way up to the dosage for Ultram. For some reason, it makes me really sick to my stomach. I take between 4 and 5 hydrocodone daily for pain and I'm supposed to take 2 Ultram 4 times a day. If I took both, I'd be really really sleepy and sick! So I take the Ultram as a back-up and take the Hydrodocone like prescribed. You sorta have to work with what's best for you. Your doctor can prescribe what he thinks is best, but only you can figure out what helps you more.

Good luck!

((HUGS))

Bee
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thanks for you input.

I think I'll take it at night so it doesn't make me sleepy at work.

It did make me a little sick to my tummy and I still feel like I can taste that after taste this morning. It an "extended release" formula so that might be why I feel kind of yucky.

Thanks again!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

4. llama

llama New Member

Hi Greenbean7 and all,

You mentioned that you weren't sure what "break-through" pain is. I'm a nurse and what it means is when your regular pain med such as Ultram or whatever your routine drug is does not last the amount of time it's supposed to as it has been prescribed like every 4 to 6 hours etc.

The pain that you experience during the time frame of your routine drug is break-through pain. It bascially means that the Ultram isn't able to always manage your pain. If the break-through pain happens a lot, the med probably needs to be changed.

A side note, I recently got prescribed Ultram, and was quite pleased with the results. After taking it about 3 or 4 days I began with a mild itchiness all over my body and with each pill it got a little worse, so obviously I stopped taking them. Darn, I just can't win! Hope you have better luck with them than I did.....Jill......
  5. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

But it did give me superior pain relief!

Unfortunately, I had many unplesant side affects, and had to go off of it, then my Vicodin (hyrocodone) went up, because I had more pain.

I wish that I could take it, because when I was on it, I could exercise and felt the energy that I used to have prior to getting major fatigue (that was when I was 23, I was on Ultram when I was 38)

I really hope it works for you : )

Suz

PS I have trouble with most meds, or can take them for awhile, then get sensitized, and have to get off of them...Also I get paradoxical affect (opposite reaction of what most people get from a particular med)...makes it hard to take sometimes...and find ones I can tolerate.

[This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thanks! That answered some of my questions.

I still need to know if this is something that needs to build up in my system before I notice any difference or if it should work right off.

Also, should I stop taking the hydro just to see how well the Ultram is working? I took the hydro this morning because I needed it. After I've been taking the Ultram for a while should I feel like I don't need the hydro and that will tell me it is working for me?

Why don't I think of all these questions when I'm at the doc's?

Hugzz
    Greenbean

7. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I tried it several times, but couldn't take it any time after about 4pm because I wasn't able to get to sleep if I did. I switched back to darvocet which I can manage to deal with.

I honestly gave it a good try, but just wasn't right for me. That it makes you sleepy in the pm, then it might be just right for you. I hope so.

Regards,
    Barry
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

well it's actually Ultracet..ultram + acetominophen. I can only take it at night cuz it knocks me out. Helps me sleep better tho. I take 2 vicodin during the day and that helps me and doesn't put me in a coma.

My rheumo wanted me to take the Ultracet every 6 hours, said it would help w the depression too and something w the pain receptors/neurotransmitters. I just can't take it during the day if I need to drive or do anything. Good luck, just give it some time for your body to adjust.
  9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

A few years ago I was given Ultram for my pain. So I tried it and it didn't do much but make me sick to my stomache with each dose so I had to stop it.

But when I talked to the pharmaist he told me that is designed to work like a opiate would,such a demoral or morophine. But it is not addictive. One of the side effects is nausea . For me it didn't help at all.

I would give it a try and see if it will help you with your pain. Just because it didn't work for me does not mean that it will not work for you.
    Try to keep an open mind when it comes to medications. I know that I have had to do that.

I know that different medications can seem to be scary and it makes you feel funny when you take them. I found that I needed to learn what it was that my doctor was giving me, what it was for, how it worked and what were the side effects and if it had any unusal side effects. I wanted to know all about it and had him write it down for me to have and take home with me. That way I could read it and learn all the things that it could do for me.

The more you know about what your taking the better you will feel. You then have the understanding of what your taking. That helped me so much just to know that I was aware of what I was being prescribed. IF that makes any scense to you.

I Hope that it will work for you.
    HUGs,
    Rosemarie
  10. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Good luck with the ultram it can really help. I have been on it for almost two years without building up a tolerance. I have occasional problems with nausea, not often, but can still only take 1/2 of a 50mg. I usually take half at three and the other half around six so I get some extra pain relief.

I have thought about the extended release, but don't know if I could take it without feeling sick. I know you can't break them.

It does make me a little sleepy, but not too bad.

I would back off the hydro when you feel you can and see how the ultram is working. Then you can use the hydro when the ultram isn't enough.

I would think you should feel the effects within 30 minutes to an hour, but the er may be different. Also, someone may know more than me, but it does have some antidepressant properties, I can't remember what.

Also, remember to always check new medications - it interacts with alot.
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Peachums - Do you take the long acting one? The ER or whatever the initials are?

Sounds like kind of a mixed bag of yes, noes, and maybes out there! Thank you all for your input. It's always interesting how different things react so differently with each of us!

I'm going to stick with it for a while and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

12. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

I use Ultram rarely - only when pain really flares up. I take it at night and it makes me very sleepy. Helps a little with pain - but not a ton. But I'll take every bit I can get!
  13. mommyinpain

mommyinpain New Member

I took Ultram for about a month. Dr. told me it would really help my pain but for me, it only made me sick to my stomach and gave me a headache which I couldn't get rid of.

I took it 3 times a day even with the headache but it didn't do anything for my pain but I have a frien who swears by it. She says it's great so I guess that just goes to show: different strokes for different folks.

MIP
  14. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

and instead of making me tired, it zipped me out...almost made me manic....made me crabby and short tempered, couldn't sleep...but I could walk everyday on it, and had the energy I used to have at 23 when I became very ill...so it was very hard for me to give it up, even with all of the nasty side affects...

You had asked eariler if you could use hydrocodone w/it...I did, and I didn't need as much...that was another bummer when I came off of it, because then my pain shot up, and so did the vicodin.

Greenbean, I really hope it works well for you...we all have different reactions...the only way to know if it is right for you, is to give it a try : )

Suz
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Well, so far, so good. Of course it's only been two days so just two doses. Since I am taking the extended relief one I think the side effects are less, either that or they last 24 hours! LOL

Haven't had much trouble with side effects except for being sleepy and still not able to sleep. I don't sleep anyway so what the hay!

I usually take a hydrocodone at 7:30 and it's 8:30 and I haven't taken one. Don't really feel like I need it right now.

I still have pain, but not unbearable. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks for all your replies! I really depend on this board for support and info.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

16. cczub

cczub New Member

I'll start from the beginning...

I take 50mg up to 4 times a day. If the pain is bad I'll take 100mg. I started my on a Saturday and had bad side effects for 2 days. It made me really tired and sick to my stomach. I still have to be careful taking it on an empty stomach.

I've been on it for 2 weeks now and it helps me manage my pain. I still get a little tired some times and an upset stomach if I take it with no food.

I also try not to take it too close to bed as it seems to conteract my Trazadone and makes it hard for me to sleep.

Good Luck!
  17. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Do a google search on the side effects and patient ratings of ultram and you'll see what I mean.
    Hydrocodone is better for your liver (especially if you take 10/325, norco) and a long acting opoid is even better if you're hurting all of the time (long acting oxycodone or fentanyl pain patch). You have to consider your liver and kidneys when you're on lots of meds or are in 24/7 pain.

I did try ultram, and it didn't do a thing for my pain.
    Mini
  18. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Greenbean:

I used to take Ultram along with Vicodin at the same time.
    I thought it really worked well, but I did need both.

Now that I am on eight Percocet a day, the Ultram has been dropped from my regimen.

Yes, for me: Ultram worked well with no side-effects.

nyrofan
  19. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i first got sick i took ultram and it wked for a while. 2 at a time- 100 mgs...
    all thru the day up to 800 mgs a day.
    then it stopped, and he gave me the ultram er which does absolutly nothing, zip!
    i also take the vicoden and eat them all day
    to keep it in system
    cause i have nothing now for breakthru pain
    and dr is so leery about giving out pain meds anyway.

so like you i suffer and try and mix and match or
    whatever like ill take a vicodin
    and then a 2 hours later 100 mgs of ultram-

but not the er kind.
    i just do not like those at all.
    but like what said earlier-

you have to kind of figure out what you can do to help with pain.
    if i take mine like hes perscribed- 3 a day of the vicodin...
    id be a screaming idiot by now.
    so i run out early-
    and suffer for a few days on just the ultram...
  20. VayCayMom

VayCayMom New Member

Ultram did nothing for me in any way. I could not tell it was medication, I get more reaction from a single aspirin, at least that I can tell by my stomache's odd feeling.