Started weight watchers to help my joints and muscles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Aug 23, 2008.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I was about 40 pounds overweight. I started weight watchers on line 2 1/2 weeks ago and have lost 9 pounds. For every pound you lose it takes 4 pounds of stress off your joints and eating better is helping my muscles. I mean I ate good foods before but now I am right on.

I can sure tell a big difference with only 9 pounds off so far.

I love W.W. online with the forums and support groups there.

I did the Flex plan as you can eat anything whereas the Core plan restricts you to a list of foods. Now I am eating proper amounts of the foods I like as well as need.
  2. clerty

clerty New Member

I am starting a slimming class on Tuesday I am just getting fatter and fatter with comfort eating so I need to get my act together.

well done you!

3. How much is it online? How do u do online, do they followup with you or? I REALLY need to do something, the older I get the fatter and it isn't easy to get it off. I lost with WW yrs ago when I was smaller,but last I checked it was $11 a wk to join.
  4. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I was also thinking of joining...but the classes are 2 minutes from me. Is the on-line easier than going in?

I guess I was concerned I would not understand it. I also can't exercise. Can we still loss on WW?

5. clerty

clerty New Member

I suppose you could I find classes are better because it gets you out and there is support also for the bad weeks you dont loose.

6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

To reply to your qeustions. There is no way I feel like going to classes at W.W. Online gives me all I need.

I am using the Flex plan where I can eat all the normal foods and just count points, they have a points caculator so that is fast and easy as it tells you the amount you can eat and the points for that food. The Core plan restricts what you can eat and you have to choose from a list of foods. I prefer to be able to eat what I want and stay within bounds.

They have forums there, you can find all kinds of forums. I belong to the FM ones, and the WA state groups, the N.W. group and the pets group. If you have pets you will love this wonderfully warm supportive group of ladies. They are a real plus is helping each other stay on track.

There are tons of recipes there to change up how you eat what you do and they are great recipes.

There are articles and so much more I could type a book here, lol.

I am on week 3 and lost 9 pounds the first two weeks. I know this will slow down, but that is o.k. I want to get the weight off my knees and hips and I can sure tell a difference into my 3rd week.

When you get there you take a littel quiz that determines how many points you are allowed per day and you get so many extra points for the week.

I think it is about $64. for 3 months. I figured it and it came out cheaper then the meetings now.

Good luck if you join, maybe we could start a post here too to help each other, if you want to let me know.
  7. les80

les80 New Member

I have done WW in the past and had lots of sucess w/ it. i need to lose some weight againa nd was considering doing the online version..good to hear ppl like it and it is working! if i sign up i would definitly love to join a forum here for fm/cfs ww members. I know how hard it is to keep this weight under control since we are somewhat limited to what we can do. TY for encouraging me to get back on track!!
  8. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Sounds like the online version gives you all you need without leaving home shich is a help when you are tired. Plus if the cost is less...that would work out better.

I just need some discipline in my eating or structure...because without the exercise it is tough.

Thanks for your good ideas!! I will check it out tomorrow on line.
  9. les80

les80 New Member

i signed up for ww online...i will try to find the communities w/ fms ppl. I think this was the kick in the pants i have needed! TY for ur post!!
  10. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Good luck!!!
  11. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

There are 2 support posts for FM, one is in the Make connections section and one is in Womens's health.

I personally like Dog People as I have a pet. They are so supportive of each other in losing weight. Great group.
  12. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Did you just follow the diet? Did you cheat at all? Reason I ask is that I've tried online WW twice. The first time I stuck to it rigidly and only lost 15 lbs in 6 months (I need to lose at least 80 lbs). The second time I lost zero in 3 months.

So, I'm really discouraged and wondering if I'm doing something wrong - all I did was stick very rigidly to the diet (I was on Flex plan and bought several WW recipe books).
  13. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Hi Frosty,
    I've been doing Jenny Craig for approaching a year and have lost 30 pounds. I have cheated, which is why I've not lost more. BUT I found the biggest reason I was able to lose weight was exercise. The dreaded word...exercise. I still HATE going. After over a year of the treadmill you'd think I'd grow to like it at least, but nope. I can't wait to get it done and get off of it. I tried weight watchers foods or lean cuisine WITHOUT the exercise and it did not work. I'm 47, tomorrow turning 48, so maybe that's the reason. The whole peri-menopause thing.

Congrats on your weight loss msbsgblue!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

I tried Weight Watchers with little results. Too slow.

I recommend Alli. You do it all online and works! At

least for me. I've lost 25 lbs in the last 3 months! You

Check in and weigh weekly and the support system is

wonderful! You even get REWARDS if you stick to your plan

and drop a pound. Real rewards too; not just praise.

Couple of weeks ago I got a divided fruit and veggie bowl

in the mail. A nice one too, not a cheapie. And you can

order the pills online at a way reduced price. I give this

diet 4 stars. Just do like I did and tweek it a little to

fit your lifestyle. Good luck!
  15. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Did you have to exercise?

Are the supplements safe for us?

16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Good for you!! I have been thinking about doing this.

Weight watchers is suppose to be one of the best weight loss programs. They encourage you to only lose so much per week as that increases the odds of not regaining the weight.

One question, how do you weigh yourself on your computer? My laptop does not have a scale. LOL!!!

Nine pounds is a lot for two and a half weeks.

Keep us posted.

17. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

W.W. is like any other program and I won't call it a diet since it is just that "a program." Most of us never refer to it as dieting, it IS learning to control and take control. We like to think of it as a new life style of eating.

Of course you have to stay with it and follow program if you expect it or any other to work.

As of today, my 3rd weigh-in I have lost 10 pounds.

AS TO THE PERSON WHO SAID IT IS TOO SLOW. That is what keeps weight off after you lose it. QUICK fad diets may take it off faster but you are more likely to gain it all back and more. Lots of fad diets take off weight fast but you did not put it on overnight and you wont take it off overnight without paying later.

You are conditioning yourself and your body to a new way of thinking and eating.

AS FAR AS THE QUESTION CAN YOU CHEAT? Well, you can, but you won't lose. That is the mistake I see lots of people do, cheat. They think oh this one time won't hurt and then another and another.

You take a quiz, you get so many points per day if you use the FLEX plan, I do. Then you get so many extra points for the week. You can use these or not. I have one week, this past week used my extra points because I was craving sweets. You can do that AS LONG AS YOU COUNT THEM ON YOUR DAILY COUNTER, and don't go over.

Any doctor will tell you that you have to lose slow for it to be healthy and to keep it off.

I have seen people say it doesn't work, and I say to that "BOLOGNEY." If it did not work you cheated.

You can do FLEX or CORE with FLEX you have anything you want to eat as long as you stay within your point limits, I try to eat good foods most days. In CORE you eat from a restricted list of foods and that does not work for me, then I get cravings.

I am there with my same name as here if you want to team up there and lose together.
  18. pawprints

pawprints New Member

All very good points!!!
  19. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Lisadot, I'm the same age and peri-meno too. Maybe I'll give Jenny Craig a shot. I also detest exercise (always did - even in my 20's when I was thin and had various gym memberships - I could not wait til I was done!).

Msgsgblue, sorry, but it's not true that if you don't lose weight on WW, then you are cheating. I've met several people who did not cheat and did not lose weight either. Personally, I started WW one time with a friend who was the same height and weight. She cheated like crazy, never exercised (and I do mean never) and in 3 months lost 40 lbs. I never cheated, exercised daily, and lost 15 lbs.

Subsequent non-cheating trys of Weight Watchers in the last few years have resulted in zero weight loss. My primary care doctor says that it's a lost cause - even if I reduce calories drastically, my body will simply adjust to this new caloric intake and that will become my new daily requirement. The only way to lose weight is to reduce calories and exercise like a nut - which physically I'm unable to do.

My latest Weight Watchers trial (and, yes, it is a lifestyle change, not a diet - I've tried it half a dozen times in the last few years as it is not a fad diet and is a healthy way to lose weight)- 3 months of following it religiously with no cheating, resulted in a 10 lb weight gain. I don't even want to look at chicken again!
  20. lmn

lmn New Member

Congratulations on your weight loss! 10lbs in 3 weeks is great; a steady and safe pace. I joined WW last week and will weigh in on Saturday. I bought the monthly pass so I receive access to the online tools as part of the plan. I'll look for you there.

I decided on the Core plan with flex points so I don't have to think too much or keep track of what I eat/so many points. The plan you choose really is a personal choice. So far I haven't felt deprived. What it has done is force me to think before eating. Also, my morning stiffness has improved as has my fatigue. Amazing, since it's only been 6 days!

Good luck!