Starting Cholestyramine Need Advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by erica741, Aug 2, 2008.

1. erica741

erica741 New Member

My LLMD just started me on Cholestyramine. I did a search on here, and it looks like Cholestyramine is part of the Methylation Protocol?

Can anyone recommend some tips on taking this medication? Since I've read it can cause depletion of certain vitamins, should I be taking any special vitamins or supplements with it?

It's especially challenging to schedule taking the Cholestyramine, since I take antibiotics 3x a day and olive leaf extract 2x a day, and chlorella throughout the day.

2. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Cholestyramine is part of Dr. Shoemaker's work. I suggest you get the book "Mold Warriors" by him. It is used to absorb toxins given off by the lyme bacteria, mainly in people who have genetics such that your body can't do it on its own. The toxin can make you as sick as the actual bacteria, so in those people, even if you kill the bacteria, you stay sick. Unless you take Cholestyramine to absorb it. Or so his theory goes..
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

How much are you supposed to be taking?
  4. erica741

erica741 New Member

Arosenbl0: Thanks for the info! I had been wondering if I should take anything for detoxing now that I'm adding cholestyramine on top of my antibiotics and everything else. But sounds like cholestyramine itself detoxifies?

Slaydragon: My doctor's instructions are to take 1 packet (4 grams each) 2-3 times a day. I'm definitely starting out with 2!

Last week, my doctor also recently tested me for mold toxins, among other things. He is not just an LLMD, but the best integrative doctor I've seen. He is the doctor who tested me for heavy metals, enabling us to discover I have high levels of mercury! Mercury chelation is in his plan too, but he says we need to get my viral load down first; otherwise the chelation can be dangerous.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2008]
  5. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

You should consult with your doctor on how to take it, but yes.. Cholestyramine is not absorbed past the GI tract, it just absorbs stuff while it passes through your system. According to Dr. Shoemaker, it absorbs the toxins made by Lyme and mold so that you can get them out of your body...
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

same thing as Questran??

I recall someone here having lots of luck with this.
    It helped her alot.
    if cholestyramine is the same thing.

will try to remember a name or find her post for you~
  7. erica741

erica741 New Member

Yes! Cholestyramine is the generic name for Questran.

Thanks for researching and including this link Jam!
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

ahorsesoul was taking this.

guess my memory is'nt as bad as i thought :)