Starting guaifenesin program soon and need some help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, May 14, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi,

I will be starting the guaifenesin program this Friday and was finally able to get salicylate (sp?) free products for things I use-toothpaste, lotion, deodorant, etc. (it was a real struggle to find salicylate-free products for some of these). But the one thing I cannot find is sunscreen. I printed off a list of salicylate-free products from the guai site for everything I use. There are a fair amount of products listed for sunscreens, but I have been to many of the stores in my area and I cannot find the ones on the list. Some I can find (I think) except the wording on the list and what's on the package is slightly different so maybe they are not the same products. Could someone tell me what you use for sunscreen? I am guessing we can't list specific products here so I can give you my e-mail address if necessary.

Also, I checked the ingredients on my contact lens products and there is nothing in them that's on the no-no list. Also, if a product says "fragrance" on the label, should I assume that I can't use that product? Do I need to contact the company to find out exactly what is fragrance?

One more question. Can petroleum jelly be used on the guai program? I am assuming you can since I think it is a petroleum based product. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ellen Comstock
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If it says fragrance on the label it may or may not contail sals; chances are that it doesn't. If they use botanicals, they usually brag about it since botanicals are trendy right now.

I can't find a sunscreed without sals, so I just use what I have. I can tolerate a few sals and it has never blocked the Guai.

Petroleum jelly is fine; I use it on my lips instead of lip balm.

Good luck with the treatment and let us know how you are doing.

Love, Mikie
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

for the info on guai. Since you use your regular sunscreen and have done fine with it, I will do the same. It's not like I am using it every day, but I do have to be careful as I had skin cancer several years ago. Thanks for letting me know that petroleum jelly is okay. I am trying to do everything I can to ensure that I am doing this correctly.

You have been an inspiration to me and a lot of the reason why I am trying the guai program. I figure if you and some of the others here have been helped, I have nothing to lose by trying and everything to gain. Thanks again.

Ellen
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you so much for your sweet words to me. I really appreciate it and want to wish you good luck. May the treatment work as well for you as it has for me. I just realized that today is the Two Year Anniversary for when Sky started the treatment and the 16th is my Two Year Anniversary. Happy Anniversary, Sky! I hope you are reading our board these days, although, I know how busy you are.

Ellen, if it were me, I would try to do a search on the sal-free brands of sun screen and see if you can order it online. I think it best if you can eliminate all sals in the beginning. We all differ in our tolerance to them. The strange thing now is that I can tolerate a lot more of them now that I am almost completely reversed.

I am still taking 2400 mgs because I did have some symptoms when I tried to cut to 1200. Perhaps I will have to decrease more slowly. Also, I'm drinking the olive leaf tincture tea and it may be blocking at the lower level dose.

You will find that you are constantly tweaking either the dose or your regimen while on the treatment. What happens day to day is not as important as hanging in there for the long haul. Again, good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

One of the upsides about going sal free is that sometimes, the cheaper the product, the better, as in more chemicals and less botanicals. Wierd, kinda scary ... but, hey ... small victories. I've found this to be true especially of sunscreen. It's almost impossible to find one without aloe, but at Walmart I found a cheap generic brand that had no sals. I would, at least until you get comfortable with the protocol and cycle and all that, agree with Mikie that you try and be vigilant about sals. Good luck!
    Hayley
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

If you can find plain old Zinc Oxide and don't mind looking kind of white like a ghost, that should work for you as a sunscreen and be Sal free. I found a babies diaper ointment with zinc oxide in it at the grocery store. I don't stay out for more than an hour at a time doing gardening, so that is enough for me. I put it on my forearms and hands, and wear a big, floppy straw hat so I can avoid having to put it on my face.
    Klutzo
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Get sun on my face again. I wear a hat, sunglasses, and two sunscreens. One of my skin products from the plastic surgeon's office has it and then I have to use a sports sunscreen over that. I could get by with just the sports stuff, but the skin care stuff has something in it to bleach out brown spots. I use it on my hands too.

Love, Mikie