Starting Italian Lessons

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As many of you know, I have been greatly inspired by the "BLEEP" films and "The Secret." In addition, I've read many books which maintain that we can learn to manifest our reality and participate in creating the world in which we live. As suggested in "The Secret," I've made a creative board which contains affirmations and pictures of things which symbolize what I want to create in my life.

Of course, healing is a big desire. I not only want to be able to do things with my grandson, but I also want to take a trip to Italy someday. I know from experience that when we desire something in our hearts, perhaps, even before we are aware of it consciously, opportunities come our way to help us achieve our desires. This phenomenon is called, syncronicity.

It wasn't long after I constructed my boards, with pictures of Italy, that beginning Italian lessons were being offered through the school system. These are adult learning classes one evening a week. I saw the ad in the newspaper. I have registered and the classes start Tues.

I found when I was in Europe before that even learning enough of the languages to survive made the trip so much more meaningful. It also shows respect that Americans don't expect everyone to speak English. I found having conversations in another language challenging and exciting.

Recently, I read that learning to speak another language is an excellent way to keep the brain alive and functioning. So, this may accomplish two of my desires.

Unfortunately, when we don't use language, it goes away. With our memory problems, I think it goes away faster :)

I'll let y'all know how it is going.

Love, Mikie
  2. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am so proud of you and hope it goes well. People and things are placed in our lives for a reason. I've always believed that.

Please, while on the board, speak in English. I'm still struggling with that and I'm always interested in what you have to say.

Hope you are feeling better!
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

You are such an interesting person and so inspirational! You never give up and continue to find ways to make your like meaningful despite difficult odds.

I wish you well with the Italian and hope that you fulfill that dream of a trip to Italy some day.

Kathy
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Yeah, good for you. I wish you luck and I hope you do better than I did. I bought a set of CDs to learn Italian because one day I will go to Italy.

I kept forgetting the words and phrases I learned. Mikie, you will certainly do better than I did. Plus you will have people to practice with and that makes a big difference.

Lolalee

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words. I really am looking forward to the class.

I find that books and CD's help but that there is nothing which can compare to conversing. The new lesson formats make it so much easier to be speaking fairly well in a relatively short period of time.

Again, thank you.

Love, Mikie
  6. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Thanks for sharing!! Italian always sounds like such a romantic language.
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Ciao, Bella!

What a wonderful thing to do! Learning Italian is one thing I would also love to do. When I was there, I could fake it , but really speaking it would be wonderful. I wish you lots of luck.

From your post, it sounds like you haven't been to Italy. Well, let me tell you. It is lovely. Even the quality of the sun is different, as one is bathed in a warm, golden glow. The people are warm and friendly (especially the men) and the pace is slower than here.

If you take a train ride, be careful of the conductor. When I was there I got pinched in several unexpected places. August is like a sauna, as it is very hot and humid. We ate only antipasto, until the last 2 days, so as not to gain weight from the superb food. There are frequent, funny, strikes, all of which give color to this interesting place. I remember it with one big smile!

My, you really brought back some lovely memories!

Enjoy your class.
    Terry

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

il comun dolce contento,
    giunse al fine il bel momento,
    che c'invita a respirar.

How pleasing to my soul
    is the sweet contentment of all.
    At last the happy moment has come
    that allows us to breathe easily.

Wouldn't we all like to say that in any language!
  9. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

That sounds great! Have fun and get excited to travel to Italy someday. It's great to have something to look forward to.

ciao!
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I speak French but have always wanted to improve on it, my grammar leaves a lot to be desired. We have French family over just now and though I can talk to them, I cant actually 'discuss' much.

What you say is right, we Brits tend to expect everyone to speak English too and it is so much appreciated by non-English speaking people when we learn at least a little of their language.

Good luck.

love Rosie
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mikie:

When I was in college in the Stone Age I also took a seperate (seperate from the school) course in Sign Language.

I ended up being a 12th grade English teacher for my 'career', but you would be suprised how often they needed me in Special Education when a new deaf student was registered.

You never know when you will use these things, but there is a reason for everything.

I hope you go to Italy after you have mastered or semi-mastered the language.

Good going!

nyrofan
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Quant' e grato all alma mi 08/19/06 10:19 AM

il comun dolce contento,
    giunse al fine il bel momento,
    che c'invita a respirar.

How pleasing to my soul
    is the sweet contentment of all.
    At last the happy moment has come
    that allows us to breathe easily

I so enjoyed your sweet sentiment, I thought I'd give it a try in Spanish. It is dear in any language.

Cuanto agrada a mi alma
    el dulce encanto de todos
    Por fin a llegado el feliz momento
    el cual nos permite respirar facilmente

Carinosamente, (Affectionately)

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2006]
  13. Juloo

Juloo Member

Isn't it amazing that you can open yourself up to the possibilites, and all of a sudden, the possibilities open up to you?

I made a decision at this past New Year that this would be my last year for a couple of extra-curricular things I've done for several years. One is a board position for which this is my third-and-last year, and another is an ongoing volunteer project. I've notified everyone involved that the end of December is it for me.

In place of those hours, I wanted to concentrate on two projects of my own. Just within the last two months, as I gear up to focus on that in the new year, I've been offered the opportunity to write a column for a local newsletter on my subject, and I've been put in touch with a person who can point me to the right people to get me started with another thing. It looks like, come January, I'm going to have my hands full and be very happy being so!

Good luck with your Italian. Having your heart already in it will make your task lighter! We had a summer intern at work who will be spending her spring '07 semester in Vicenza and has been discussing it with another co-worker, who spent time in his teenage years in Italy and then again as a college student in the same program. He speaks so glowingly of his experiences -- the food, the people, the history -- that he's got the whole office wishing we were going back to school with the intern!
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Du bist sehr klug!

Ha det bra

Rock
  15. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

LOL....ok now you're showing off!! But, don't stop.

Que dices amigo?

Lolalee
  16. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

Affirmations are good. I had read all the Louise Hay books and wrote out affirmations especially for me and read them at least once a night, before going to sleep.

You bringing this up has reminded me how well those affirmations worked. Thanks for sharing, I need to do this in my life again.

All the negating of myself by myself as I learned in my family took a toll. I read affirmations every night. It took a long time for my negating lifestyle that it would take awhile for the affirmations to heal also.

Thank you for your inspirations. I have gone back to my stinking thinking. I must take control and return to my recovery work, I still have on my agenda to see those films.
    Affirmations are always good.

I use to say ones like:
    "I am open and receptive to let go of the fear of success with love."

May God Bless you through your new journey.

Love and Hugs,

AbbeyMae [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2006]
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You guys are great! Y'all inspire me.

I am excited to be more active in my own life both through this new class and through putting into play what I've been learning. I've been doing web searches on creating reality and finding some really good stuff.

I've found that it's important not to ask for something as though I don't already possess it. It's important to thank God that I already have whatever it is or thank Him that it's on its way. I don't ask for healing; I thank God that healing is taking place and that I know my body and mind are healthy and strong. This stuff is like the old self-fulfilling prophesy.

It's also important to act as though we already have what it is we desire. That doesn't mean I go running around in denial until I'm done in. I still have to rest, especially right now, but I believe my body is healing itself.

I look at pictures of Italy and I can picture that soft yellow sunlight and myself absorbing it all. I picture myself conversing in Italian and having such a good time. The Universe will take care of the details. All I have to do is focus on it.

For those of you who have seen the "BLEEP" film, you may remember the man who talks about creating his day and asking for specific feedback from the Universe that it paid attention to him. Well, I receive a lot of feedback in big and small ways. It has made me excited about my life and made me feel that I am participating in its creation. It's so self-empowering.

Again, thank you all for your support and kind wishes. May your kindness be reflected back to you in your lives (it will be :)

Love, Mikie