Starting Klonopin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hi all,
    I have been going through some pretty serious health issues lately and not sleeping due to the pain and anxiety. I am literally jumping out of bed at night, thinking someone is after me.

Doc prescribed Klonopin. I already take Xanax.

I have a pill phobia, due to some scary experiences. I am very senstitive to everything.

I am wondering what to expect?
  2. orachel

orachel New Member

I take one at bedtime for terrible restless leg disorder. It totally stopped the kicking/moving of arms and helps me sleep. Also, I don't feel like I'm hungover in the morning, which is what happened with elavil. In my experience, if you're taking xanax, you should have noooo prob with klonopin. I find xanax much much stronger than klonopin.
    Good luck!
    rachel
  3. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I have wondered if I might have sleep apnea. I may not, but I know many of us with FMS do, so I was also wondering if it's dangerous to sleep TOO DEEP.
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was having similar symptoms. I would wake up and have to jump out of bed right away - not that someone was after me, but just had to get up and out of the bed - real anxiety.

When this started I could not go back to sleep. I began by taking Ambien but it did not solve the problem.

I then asked my doctor for Klonopin. I took it early in the evening to "wind down" then took Ambien at bedtime.

This helped alot - I only took a small amount of the Klonopin - I was given .5 mg and I took 1/4 of a tablet. I wanted to start with the lowest dose to see what would help - I am very sensitive to meds. Also, the doctor explained to me Klonopin is a strong drug.

I always think everything is "trial and error" so I took a small amount and it worked.

Recently, (last week) I had a episode of palpitations and went to the emergency room. I was really afraid. I read Klonopin can cause that so I decided to stop the Klonopin and see how I did.

So far, I am doing well without it, however if I start having a problem again I will take it. I think it really helped me.

By the way, the heart problem with me is because I have a very sensitive heart. I had a rhythym disturbance in the past, I don't think most people would have a problem - and I am not really sure mine was caused by Klonopin.

Sorry my answer is so long winded....

[This Message was Edited on 09/12/2005]
  5. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

The longer the answer, the better in my book. :)

Thank you for your experience. I think I will start off low too.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I do think Klonopin is great and it helped my anxiety. For me, the next day, even though I took that low dose, I was still tired but somehow liked it because my anxiety level was down - it helped.

After stopping it, I am still doing better than before I took it - also, I don't necessarily think you have to plan on staying on it forever.

Somehow, I think it broke my anxiety cycle. As I said, if the anxiety comes back, I will take it again.

7. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Do you take Zoloft by any chance? I took it without any problems, but a friend had the kind of nightmares you describe. She jumped out of bed and started running to get away from whatever it was in her dream.

Good Luck to you with the Klonapin!

Francie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And I was doing well. When I got to about half the original night time dose, I was clenching me teeth so bad, I was so jumpy that everything startled me and released adrenaline, and I have horrible pain. I had decided to go off the Klonopin because it stopped helping me get deep refreshing sleep. It was doing a whole lot more than that and I now realize I need it.

I've been thinking about it and perhaps because I've been on it so long, more than four years, tolerance has made it less effective. Perhaps instead of trying to wean off of it, I should have slightly increased the dose.

In any case, yesterday, I decided that I do need the Klonopin even if I have to take something else along with it for Stage Three and Four sleep.

I've always thought that Klonopin is one of the best things around. I do not like being physically dependent on a drug, but Dr. Cheney believes Klonopin protects the brain's neurons from premature death, so I guess it is beneficial.

Love, Mikie
  9. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Many here seem to like it a lot.Thanks for your responses!

Mikie: Like you, I hate to have to be dependant or take anything long term, but sleep is so important. I have not slept well since 1996.

Rileyearl:I did try Zoloft and it gave me horrible hallucinations. SO far, my system won't tolerate any SSRI's. But I really do need to be on an anti-depressant
    [This Message was Edited on 09/13/2005]
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

but I found great relief with it also. I decided to ask my doc for it after reading about it here. I had EXTREME light sensitivity. I was to the point that I could not go in the grocery store without sunglasses and a hat, but still struggled even then.

I would feel disoriented, and "spaced out" like I was on drugs. I could not get my mind to focus on what I was supposed to be doing, could not find what I needed, although I ought to know where it was, and could not, even if a gun had been to my head, make a decision on even what kind of cereal to buy. I would stand there staring at the stuff until I finally had to give up and leave.

That was bad enough, then the lights at work became torture and I would sit here longing for the end of the day so I could escape.

My PCP gave me a script for 2 months at .5mg once a day (at night) and referred me to a rheumy because he would not prescribe it long term. The rheumy started with the same addiction speel but before I could jump on him with both feet, agreed to 3 months at the same dosage becuase it helped me so much.

I have just gotten a refill, so I assume he is still good with me being on this dose. The very next day after taking it for the first time, the light sensitivity was 100% better. I even went to WalMart and returned something that day without my glasses!!!

I am starting to be wakeful again in the night, but don't want to ask for a larger dose for fear of having it pulled altogether. I don't mean that I won't ask, because I will ask if that could be considered, but will stipulate I am willing to stay with the lower dose and go another route for sleep because it is still working for sensory overload and I still have more energy than I did before starting it. Let us know how you do on it.

Sonya
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

I take Klonopin for help with sleep

It seems to be the only thing that works for me

I take 1/4 tablet as needed at night

Klonopin seems to go into your body slowly and leave slowly

It doesn't help me with anxiety though, and I cannot take it during the day

I am VERY sensitive to meds, but able to take Klonopin

Xanax and Ativan were too strong for me

I do tend to notice more headaches with Klonopin