Starting Methylation ProtocolAny tips?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by redhummingbird, Jul 11, 2008.

1. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

My doctor recommended trying the methylation protocol.

I just received all the supplies today.

I'm also taking antibiotics for-I guess it's okay to do both? I forgot to ask him but assume it's ok since he's the one prescribing.

I'm wondering if anybody has any tips based on their own experience.

Does it work? How long does it take?

I'll also do a search

2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Buy some activated charcoal and keep it by your bed with a glass of water.

It's very handy when you wake up at 3/4/5/6 a.m. with nausea and an all-over poisoned feeling when your liver dumps out all the toxins it has suddenly been hit with.

Mops them up so they can be excreted.

I think Yasko recommends |Nature's way charcoal.

Rich Van K recommends the book 7 day detox miracle by Peter Bennet and Stephen Barrie for ideas on how to enhance detox.

I recommend u run urine essential elements tests periodically ...because detoxing can strip essential minerals and other stuff (scientific terminology!) which is not good.

3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Go redhummingbird! I hope it works great for you!

I would suggest that you pay attention to whether you get a stomach ache and feel feverish. For me those were the warning signs that I was starting to detox too quickly.

If you ever feel like you are detoxing too quickly, stop taking the methylation supps right away.

Boy, if the antibiotics make you Herx or give you a stomach ache it might be challenging to start them at the same time as the methylation supplements. Hmmm. Use your best judgment, I guess.

4. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

The key is low and slow - like stupid slow. Really. These are bioavailable supplements and they pack a punch. Some people do sprinkles -really.

Start one and wait a week before starting another. When you increase - treat it like a new supplement.

Some people have little detox and just feel better right off the bat, others have years of toxins so have to go slow.

Don't be afraid to stop and restart. That is normal and good.

I think it is the key to remission and feeling better. The methylation cycle is very important. You will learn to read your body. I feel better just getting off stuff you shouldn't be on with the protocol. I am just barely at Step 1.

All the best,
  5. redhummingbird

I'm wondering if the antibiotics and starting these are too much at the same time.

I was all geared to start valcyte two months ago but my hhv-6 titers dropped to a level that didn't warrant starting. Plus at the last minute my doctor wanted to try antibiotics to address any bacterial issues I have.

I'll heed your opininions and go very slowly. I tried reading all the posts on it and with my brain fog, its feeling a bit over my head.

I'm looking forward to being able to understand it.

deliarose-thanks for the tip and source regarding activated charcoal. There's a health food store in town that I can hopefully get some from.

forebearance-thanks for the cheer! I've been wondering about starting antibiotics and methylation support at the same time.

marti-thanks for providing the link to the group. I thought there was a group but it didn't show up in a google search. I appreciate your advice about starting and then taking a week off. I think I'll need to go extra, extra slow.

This does somehow feel like the right path, or at least one of them.

Many thanks...
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've never used much activated charcoal, in part because I was afraid that it would suck up a necessary medicine that I take (for a disease other than CFS).

The thing that's worked best for me with regard to mopping up toxins in the gut (helping to prevent nausea and "gunky" feeling) is arabinogalactan.

This is the main ingredient in Ambrotose. I've not seen it in health food stores, but it's pretty easily available on the Web.

It seems on the surface that taking an anti-pathogen drug and working on detox at the same time might be too much.

I took an antiviral and the methylation supplements at the same time for a while. I was getting really fast detox (too fast!).

I don't think that this was necessarily a bad thing for me. I had a hard time with the antiviral, but I don't think that the methylation support made it harder.

I wouldn't start both at the same time though.

I suggest getting a good pill crusher for the two folate supplements. After the pills are crushed, moisten your finger and take the smallest amount that will cling to it (maybe 1/16 or less of each folate type).

Some people have found even this dose too much at first. I was one of them!

Now that a year has passed, I am finding that I can take large amounts of the folates and of B12 without much negative reaction. Presumably it's still working to detox new stuff and maybe (slowly) buried stuff, but it feels like I'm getting a lot closer to the end of that kind of detoxification.

(Mold poison apparently is not detoxified through the methylation/glutathione route, and so I'm now working on that through other means.)

A couple of pointers;

* If you get headaches, this likely is due to sulfur. Try adding some molybdenum. (You may have to buy this on the Internet since most health food stores don't have it. I would suggest buying a bottle before you start the protocol, in the event that you need it. A lot of people do.)

* If you feel like you're detoxing too fast, stop the B12 right away. The folates recycle themselves in the body for weeks (sometimes years!), and so stopping them likely won't help you. Most CFS patients use up B12 very fast, and so suspending it totally may put a sudden stop to your detox. This can be useful if you get in a jam.

* A weird spacey feeling can signal ammonia problems. (I also had a strong aversion to protein.) Killing bacteria in the gut can be useful for that. Hopefully the antibiotic that you're taking will address whatever bacteria you've got going on there as well as whatever else you're taking it for (lyme? cpn?). I found manganese to be somewhat helpful too. Lactulose (a prescription drug for constipation) may also have worked. Cholestyramine (a prescription anti-cholesterol drug) also seems to work, but has the potential of detoxing neurotoxins (and may be especially potent if you've got a lyme problem). None of Amy Yasko's other suggestions ever worked for me.

* Watch your bowels. You may get diarrhea, which is okay as long as it's not too much. (That can be a sign that you're going too fast.) Constipation is a much bigger problem. I had problems with peristalsis that usually occur only with opiate usage. I'm not sure why. This is something to be avoided. Perque Choline Citrate (over the counter supplement) and Lactulose both worked well for me in terms of promoting peristalsis. (I couldn't take the choline citrate because it triggered my otherwise under control manic-depression, but others should do fine on it.) I think that my peristalsis problem was caused mostly by the increase in "ordinary" parasites growing better in my dirty gut, though I have no proof of that. Taking a standard anti-parasite combination (wormwood, black walnut hulls, grapefruit seed extract, etc.) helped a lot with this.

Feel free to ask if you've got any questions as time goes on. Delia knows a lot more about the subtleties of the Yasko program than I do, but I had such a rough start on the Simplified Program that I probably have run into anything you'll encounter. It does get better as more stuff is dumped out!
  7. Elisa

Elisa Member

Best of luck to you - it's a worthy protocol! Lisa offers some great advice...

My best advice is go "low and slow." Low doses over time building up and and S-l-o-w-l-y! Because it is powerful and can cause huge detox - this is what is suggested.

Keep calming supps on hand - such as magnesium (Calm sold here), valerian, l-theanine, GABA - whatever works best for you.

The magnesium and charcoal are recommended to help with detox.

God Bless,

[This Message was Edited on 07/11/2008]
  8. redhummingbird

Lisa-thanks for the great information and tips. I'm going to print it out and keep it handy for reference.

I'm going to buy the supplements you suggested. Thanks for that.

Peristalsis-yikes that sounds uncomfortable. Did you end up having to go to the hospital? I think this is something I'm going to need to pay attention to as I have a tendency towards constipation.

I can't remember how Rich described it but something about a bomb going off in body? I've got to clean up the mess it created. Lyme is part of the problem with me-I wish it were as easy as believeing it was the ONLY problem but I know it's not. I also have viral issues as well. I'm going to get test for cpn and mycoplasmas. I tested negative for CMV and parvovirus 19.

My body is not detoxing well. I have a sort of swollen toxic feeling. I think methylation is key to allowing the body to respond to treatment.

Elisabeth-thank you for your well wishes and your advice about keeping calm supplements on hand. I have a tendency towards anxiety which tends to increase when I have a herx so thank you.

9. simonedb

simonedb Member

interesting info you provide,thanks, I am going to copy what you guys shared and read more thoroughly later.
    slaydragon what do you make of this though:

I would be concerned about finding corporate-interest-free info on that supplement although this doc is likely conservative; but how to evaluate objectively?

also in the other thread about list of people starting meth protocol right now I was trying to find out reasonable priced places to buy some of the stuff, can we talk about that here and if so do you guys have any advice on where to get the mvi?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2008]
  10. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Simone,

I'm afraid you have to get Dr. Yasko's multivitamin from Dr. Yasko's web site. It's the only place that sells it.