Starting Minocycline in 2 weeks....

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by redhummingbird, May 16, 2008.

1. redhummingbird

redhummingbird New Member

Hi all,

I just spoke with my doctor. I was going to start a 6 month course of valcyte and had even received 2 months worth of meds through Roche patient assistance program yesterday.

My doctor agreed and thought it would be a good idea to do a trial treatment for lyme/babesia. I have not had testing through Igenex and am very grateful he agreed to do this since I can't affort to pay the money for lyme testing at this point.

He wants me to take an herb treatment for babesia for 2 weeks (I forgot the name of the herb) and then start minocycline. He said in 6 weeks I'll know if we're on the right track.

I havne't been posting at all since receiving a weird,negative comment from someone one the other board. It was very off base but threw me for a loop for a minute. I took all my old posts down because I didn't feel comfortable with the amount of personal information that I had put out there.

I really appreciate everyone's efforts to keep lyme on the table. You guys are all awesome.

Thanks-
  2. erica741

erica741 New Member

Hi Redhummingbird,
    I am not sure if you are planning to take Valcyte with the minocyline? Dr. Montoya and my LLMD said that Valctye is too strong to take with antibiotics.

That is interesting that your doctor will start you on lyme treatments without a lyme test. If you just get the Western Blots at Igenex, I that would cost around $150. There is also a lab called MDL that my LLMD had me test for lyme, babesia, and other co-infections. MDL takes insurance, but not sure if that would help you.

Sorry you got such an upsetting comment on the other board. I don't know what they said, but there are always some nuts around online, so please don't take it personally.

Good luck with everything, and keep us posted.

Erica

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2008]
  3. redhummingbird

Your comment about the nuts made me laugh. Thanks.

I won't be taking antibiotics and valcyte at the same time. Although I want to be as aggressive as possible with this illness I know that both together would be a mistake.

Some doctor's will treat lyme without testing based on symptoms. I also had a weird bite last year that was so unlike a typical mosquito bite that I showed it to a friend. It was in the midst of doing a post doc and things were so crazy that I can't remember what it looked like except that it was unusual.

This doctor is exactly what I've been looking for. He wants to see how I'll respond to this treatment before starting valcyte. If I don't feel any better in 6 weeks, then nothing lost, I'll just start valcyte.

It's always hard to know what to treat first since a lot of us have many viruses, infections, etc... going on.

4. redhummingbird

Yep-we're seeing the same doctor.

I really like him. I'll start the herb once I receive it from them.

I'll email you and tell you more about the appt. I'm so thankful to have found him so a big thanks to you!
  5. redhummingbird

I can't find the paper that I wrote your email address on!

I'll look in one more place.

I can't wait to hear your news!
  6. redhummingbird

I can't remember the name of the herb that is used but I'll post it once I get it from my doctor. I'm not sure what it does.

I know blinkie took it so she can answer question better.

I noticed you live in Chico. I lived there many many years ago and loved it. How long have you lived there?
  7. redhummingbird

Thanks! What was the herx like for babs? Just wondering what to expect.

I got the minocycline last night and wish I could just start taking it now but my doctor wanted me to take the herbs for 2 weeks first.

One of the comments I received on the other board accused me of "trying to buy a lyme diagnosis." That made me angry but it was the other comment that got to me.

I decided I'm not going to let anyone bully me off. I'm interested in getting better and doing what it takes to get there.

How are you feeling these days?