Starting over again with a new Doctor how do I get help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Sep 20, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Well here I go again .After all my bad experences over the pass several years I finely requested that I be aloud to have a new set of Doctors.

I have been told that this new doctor has a patient with FM/CFS .So I am going to ask if I can talk to her and see how her care is .

I am in so much pain I can hardly walk. I have to find strength to leave my home on Sat. and Sun. for an Open House here so it will hopefully sell. I can not even get up or down even a couple of steps .

I know it is time to get a different type of pain med but how do you convence the doctor ? I have lived with this getting worse for 7 years now and I do not want to have this pain anymore . I am 53 years old and want a better quality of life for myself. When I ask one of my old doctors for a handycap parking sticker he looked at me and said I wasnt that bad. How do you get the help you need when they just do not see your needs?

I am that bad . When I cant go out for any period of time and I can't walk a block without exhaustion. I spend 3 days in bed for every few hours that I leave my home. My left hand stays swollen I cant use it, not to even count all the other complantes I have about this DD.

I know that there are pain pills that work and I am scaried to get hooked but I am more scaried to live in this pain when I know they can help.

How do I get this help ,how do I get them to believe me? I made my appointment time so my husband can go with me so he can tell the doctor how I struggle .Hopefully He will believe my husband and help me.

I do not think I should have to take a witness with me to get help but I do not know what else to do.I know if he sends me away without any help Im going to need to go to mental health.

2. ckball

ckball New Member

HI- I am sorry you are still having to deal with all this. I thought after your stay at Walter Reed they would have had some anwers for you.

Do not be afraid to get addicted of pain meds. People in pain are not the ones who get addictied. I have been on naarcotics for almost 5 years and am not addicted. I take what is susbribed to me. Ky laws are very strict, we have to sign a contract with the Dr.

I hope they find some answers for you. How did your open house go?

Where in Ohio are you moving? Ihope everything works out for you. Carla
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have to get a new GP before I can go forward with my FM/CFS problems. He will have to send me to different Doctors. The doctors at Walter Reed were only seeing me for stomach problems. I'm still having those but not as bad.

There were 7 Realtors here yesterday ,good comments about our home. They think its a great house and priced at a low amount for this neighborhood. Sat and Sun will be open to the public so I hope someone comes to buy it.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Carebelle:

Switching doctors was the best thing I could have done and I hope you have the same luck. The best thing I did was to let him know I would not be 'pigeoned holed' or not ask any questions. I let him know what kind of patient he was getting.

Good luck!

nyrofan
  5. I guess I missed it, what did they ever find out about your stomach problems?
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I guess it was gerd but also the start of ulcers .They put me on a med for reflux and it seems to help everything except I still have a sore painful part right under my breast around my stomach and all the way around it.

I'm waiting to see my new GP next week .That's not my worse pain. Isn't it weird how you can have so many different kinds of pain ? like that's sore.But I also have the very painful deep muscle pain I have come to know as my FM pain then there's also a different kind of pain that seems to be just under my skin.And then there the low back pain I don't even know how to describe. I think we have pain in every layer of my skin and muscles.
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

carebelle:

The way you describe the pain we have is exactly the way I would say.

Good description of it.

nyrofan
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

9. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Sorry you are suffering so much. So are you looking for a new GP in VA or OH? I assume VA because you haven't moved yet.

What do you mean they're going to "let you" change Drs? I'm in a ppo so I just choose whoever takes my insurance and I'm sure my insurance thinks I'm a Dr shopper but screw them. I have a good one now he may not be the most knowlegable about CFS but is compassionate and willing to learn. So do you have to ask permission to change Drs?

Shar

10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

We are retired Military and use the Military Doctors group here in my town . I have to request a different group because I have military Insurance. They have given me the name of another Doctor with in that clinic if he doesn't work out then I can request again to go out to civilian Doctors but I just can not go without paper work.
  11. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

My father is retired Air Force, Mom explained it once but I still don't understand how all that works. It's hard to get an appointment too isn't it?

So I guess he'll have all your records...if he's not very recceptive towards the needs of FM folks it should be apparant pretty quick. If he's not, if your hand is swollen and he can see that, then I'd start there. I'm assuming it also hurts and if your current pain meds aren't helping it tell him you want something that will.

I think it's great that your husband is going and I hope he speaks up for you if the Dr doesn't believe. I know you've been in pain for years but go in there with a positive attitude that this dr will help. Expect the best but be prepared for the worst with logical arguments.

I always tell new Drs that "you never saw me when I was healthy but I used to....., now I can't even.....

Good Luck!
    Shar

12. carebelle

carebelle New Member