Starting To Regret Applying For Disability...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srobins, Jun 12, 2006.

1. srobins

srobins New Member

It has been 2 months since my ALJ hearing and still I have heard nothing from the judge. I am starting to regret going through this process now because I feel as though I will always have to watch everything I do. I am bored out of my mind and want to do something. Physically, I can't work daily and have a lot of fatigue and pain, but I feel now as though all of my options are gone. I have always been very motivated, positive, and now I feel as though my identity is gone.

Does anyone else have these feelings?
  2. yourtroubl

yourtroubl New Member

Its not social security but I have experience with them. They dont always decide their cases first in first out. They usually have a quota they have to meet each month. Some only meet that quota. I would not call them. But two months is not long. I would give it at least 3.
  3. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

your dilemma. I was approved for disability last year and it is somewhat of an issue for me also.

In my case the conumdrum is this: I am not too bad when I am NOT working. I can and do work part-time, but I could NEVER work an 8 hour schedule (and I'm in late 50's). Every time I've attempted to my life spirals downward. The stress of pushing through a day at work, hardens my already profound insomnia and I begin a cycle of getting sick, painful inflamations (bursitis of various joints), and a mental fatigue so extreme I am almost out-of-body. NOTHING relieves my insomnia in those circumstances.

I stated this at the outset of my written S.S. application. Most of the time, I do not feel disabled in the most literal sense. But I am UNABLE to hold full-time work. I stated this situation to my attorney and the judge I eventually sat before....that I can do most anything, but NOT FULL-TIME!

So, yes, it's a weird catagory. I'm not particularly social, but my awkward status does kinda keep me from socializing more. I do feel a bit of a misfit.

But I really don't think anyone is watching you and you can probably relax there. If you've waited 2 months, I'm sure you will have a decision soon. You can also work part-time once approved, and hopefully you will feel better about yourself.

Best to you, Sleepy
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Good Morning!!
    I know. After all you've been thru., it's still "hurry up and wait". The time frame you are experiencing is not unusual at all. I went thru. the same thing but hangin there!! MRDAD
  5. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I hope you don't give up----hang in there. This takes time and great patience. Even if they turn you down (and they almost always do the first time) you have to try again as it well worth all the frustration you are feeling. I know this is terrible.
    I wish you much luck and again, please don't quit.
    Many hugs,
    Arlene
  6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

It's difficult to rebuild a sense of identity after leaving your life's work behind. I relate. I've been on disability for six years and, though it's great in the sense that I feel much better than I ever could while working, the boredom and lack of identity can be intense.

I keep telling myself it must be possible to build a framework of routines and activities that are within my limitations, will not set me back or provoke a flare. this is what I'm presently dealing with though as you know, it's impossible to commit to ANYthing due to the ups and downs of this illness. so, to say the least, my new identity will be flexible.

I hope the news is good with regard to your disability. Perhaps when all this worry is behind you, you'll find it easier to build a new identity and find things that you're able to do.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  7. WHIT1

WHIT1 New Member

I thought I was the only one who had this problem when I get over tired. I will be doing something and I will suddenly wonder what am I doing. This is very scary and I don't remember what I did that day.I am on disability now and when I do projects all day I pay dearly for it at night not able to sleep and being in great pain.I have one more year before they decide whether I still get it.It gets boring and you can't think beyond one day or you will get depressed.I also feel kind of useless but I still do what I can my way and the length of time I need to do it. MY husband understands and appeciates anything I can do even if it takes forever.What he hates is when I over due it.But just do what you can and keep positive thoughts.
  8. borntired

borntired New Member

I applied two and 1/2 yrs ago and got denied twice. I moved to another state where my records have been since October. I am still waiting for a hearing.
    Every morning I read the "help wanted" pages thinking I might be able to find a job - part time to do, but I know I can't.
    There is always the "concern" that we are being watched...I don't think so but I certainly don't share by business or the fact that I have applied to SSD with anyone outstide of my family.
    I hope and pray you receive a Judgement in your favor soon.
    Take care,

Borntired