Starting trazodone anything to look out for?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by megchampagne, May 18, 2006.

1. megchampagne

megchampagne New Member

Hey y'all.

Went back to the rheumy today. He said my blood tests and bone & joint scan were normal so now he was going to submit an official diagnosis or whatever, blah blah blah.

He said he is going to give me another week, and then he's calling in an Rx of trazodone for me to take at night. He's starting me at 50 mg and probably increasing it up to the "normal" dose which he said is 300 mg.

For those of you who take it (cuz I know this is a very popular anti-fibro med), how effective is it? Do you sleep better? Do your muscles feel better in the morning?
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Yes, i used to take it but noticed that I get a lot of pressure in the front of my head and just didn't like it. Don't let that discourage you, you may respond to it differently.

Hope that helps!!

Dawn
  3. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

each night for EXCELLENT SLEEP. I am afraid I would be groggy all day if I had to take a high enough dose to treat depression. I use it for sleep ( lots of FM folks do ) and it works VERY VERY well.

I also take a low dose of SSRI 's for depression - either prozac or zoloft . I am on zoloft now , but both of them at low doses manage my depression.

Good luck - it is an old and safe drug .
  4. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

I have taken it for 10 years for sleep. Only need 75 mg to get 7-8 hours of sleep. If I go to 100 mg, can't get up for 10 hours and feel like a truck hit me all day.

Just be careful in going up in the dose--of course everyone's tolerance is different. But just a half hour after I take the 75 mg, I can't keep my eyes open!

Deb
  5. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I took trazadone for years to help my sleep, and had very few problems with it. It didn't cause the weight gain that the other Tricyclics cause, but it can affect your libido and cause you to feel tired the next day.

300mg is a HUGE dose to start with! I started at 20mg and eventually went to about 100mg over several years.

300mg is more of the "normal" dose for DEPRESSION - not FM, sleep, migraine prevention or other "off-label" uses. I would be concerned about starting at this high of a dose, and speak to my doctor before doing it.

Just my experience..

julie (is free!)

All I know is three things
    I love her
    she hates me
    and I drink.. - Can't remember..
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I, in my usual way, had a contrary effect from trazadone -wound me up and gave me the jitters. Lowered the dose and they continued. Now off it. That seems to happen to me with a lot of meds; I react the opposite of the way I'm supposed to. My doc says we're going to grow old together trying to get a handle on things!
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... so please know that this is not professional advice - but I believe that we often have problems with meds because doctors don't really know how sensitive we can be to them.

Trazadone is a great drug for sleep and for anxiety which helps pain. I've taken it on and off for years - off sometimes because it constipates me, a lot.

And, it might work wonderfully for you at 50 mgs but for me it was too much. I cut the tablets in half and find that 25 mgs works just fine. I even quartered the tablet for awhile.

We always need to be sure a drug can be divided - some can't - but if they can, I think we are wise to begin slowly. We can always increase.

Marta
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I love my Trazadone but agree with the others...300mg is an extreme amount to prescribe.

If you doc is prescribing this amount for depression, it probably won't do much for you because you'll be sound asleep all the time.

I started with 50mg and have worked my way up to around 125mg each night. I sleep like a baby and often for 9 hours. But I've been taking it for over a year to work up to this dose!!

Trazadone was originally for depression but it really didn't help because it put everyone to sleep. So now they prescribe it to help us sleep, but at a much lower dose.

Please check this with your doc...I can't even imagine an elephant needing 300mg to get some sleep.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  9. piebear

piebear New Member

I've been taking it for almost a year now. And yea 300mg is a lot. I'd be asleep for a week! ha.

I started at either 25mg or 50mg and worked my way up because I started to build up a tolerance quickly. For me 150mg gave me a hangover the next day so I know I have to stay below that. I did notice for the first month or two it really dried out my sinuses and I would get mild nosebleeds but those didn't last. It would make my nose stuffy after taking it too but that too has passed. And I don't know about effect on the muscles. I think it does something cause when I stopped it to try other drugs I noticed I did hurt a little more. But of course there could be other reasons for that.

My husband tried it for one night but it made his heart race so he stopped it. Didn't make him tired at all either. Just shows you how different everyone is.

Currently I am taking 75mg at night. Sometimes I'll take 100mg if I really want to sleep good and long like on weekends.
    But Trazadone by itself doesn't cut it for me anymore so take some Valerian root too. And I also drink Stormyskye's shake every morning which I think helps my sleep but I'm not sure. I know its helped my mood for sure.

Its still not ideal but I sleep better than I used to so think I'll stick with this combo for now. The trazadone is very good for helping me fall asleep and then the valerian keeps me asleep. Its a good combo.

But yea give it a try. Its a very common drug for us.

[This Message was Edited on 05/22/2006]
  10. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

Hi, It made me gain a lot of weight. Docotor had to put me on a diet pill. Thank god I lost the weight after I stopped the trazondone. It was a wopping 60 pounds. It did work for sleep but I would never go on it again.
    Lisa
  11. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

Hi there I was on trazadone for 2 years. It took the 300mg for me to get a good noghts sleep. I had to go off it because my doctor thinks it brought on my migraines. Best of luck to You and SLEEP.

Michelle
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Good,stage4 sleep.It's the only thing that works for me.Linda