State Capitals #2

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Mar 15, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Picking up where we left off:

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa,

Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana:

Springfield , Illinois
  2. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Wow, your going fast. I take it none of my guesses where right for the I states :p
    hmmmm Kansas... Toto... now can I remember a city they lived in???? NOPE...
  3. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Sticks out tongue to Leah, clicks heals and says the magic words 'there's no place like home' POOOF :p
  4. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Idaho is for potatos. Yummy. It's HARD to remember all the states in alphabetical order without looking them up. Gimme a break! lol

Boise sounds right though! Springfield and Indianapolis looking good.

What's left, oh, Iowa. Is it Des Moines? Soul, I'm afraid I didn't see your guesses, I'll go back and look. That thread was getting confusing. I love to talk and got carried away.

Leah, we needed a string #2 cause we're so smart and got through the first part so fast! After our geography lesson there's history, math, science, and the arts. (Only kidding). lol
  5. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

No problem gb, no need to look it up, I don't remember what I guessed either. And it was a very random wild guess. If I happen to recognize a right answer as one that I guessed I'll do a happy dance but I doubt that will be the case for these :D
  6. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

You guys are half right. Boise used to be the capital of Idaho. In a recent response to
    claims of gender discrimination, the State Legislature voted last month to change the
    name to Boise and Girlsay.

The change will take place on a date not yet selected. April first is a possible date.

Rock
    (Mild mannered reporter)
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Lol Rock, you are half right too. Guys ARE half right, galls are right :p At least that's how it used to be in Idaho I think... Not sure if that changes april first... hmmmm we'll see...
  8. gb66

gb66 Active Member

They could just call it Personsay and please everyone.
  9. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

And change the state to Idunno :p
  10. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

I have the version with Michael Jackson and Diana Ross. Maybe I should rewatch it to see where exactly they lived in Kansas :p

Trying to find that online but no luck yet... Have to shake of the witch of monthly joy first, she's giving me a headache :confused:

Haha Leah, we where posting at the same time. I had that with one of the last songs on here from Elvis I think, I saw the blackbirds in the guarden and thought I found another line, but that's from yet another song :D
  11. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Ha Ha! You guys are all too funny.

I agree, GB, Soul, Freida. Personay, Idunno sounds perfecto to me. I know the capital of
    Kentucky because of an old childhood riddle.

Is the capital of Kentucky pronounced Looey-ville or Lewis-ville?
    Neither. It's pronounced Frankfort.

As for Kansas, it might be Kansas City. I think there is also a Kansas City in Missouri
    which adds to the confusion.

The Minnesota capitol building was in the news last night. I haven't read the article yet.
    I remember in 6th grade we studied Minnesota history. Then we took a bus ride
    about 135 miles to St. Paul and toured the capitol building. Like many such buildings
    it has a magnificent dome.

As is often the case, history is just around the corner. The last battle in Minnesota
    between the army and the Indians was fought when my grandparents were alive.

Let's see. Don't think we did Wyoming yet. I remember that from the old wooden
    map. It's an Indian word, and none of us knew how to pronounce it. Utah?
    Missouri? Louisiana? The last one is easy to remember; it sticks in the mind.

Rock
  12. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Runs in screaming (shhh noone has to know I'm actually lying in my bed) I FOUND IT I FOUND IT,

The capital of Kansas is Smalville... uhuh... it's where Superman lives when he isn't superman :p
  13. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Is Kansas Topeka? Seems to ring a bell. Wyoming is Cheyenne Rock, you mentioned Louisiana, Baton Rouge, right? Now I'm trying to remember Utah.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  14. gb66

gb66 Active Member

If we want to tackle all the "M" states it helps to try to remember postal codes. me, ma, md, mi, mn, ms, mo, mt . (?)

Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesotta, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, (in alphabetical order).

Agusta, Maine:
  15. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Yup, GB. Baton Rouge is red stick. Kinda sticks in your mind. As for those "M" states, the
    abbreviations sound like a singer practicing vowels. "Me, Ma, Moo etc."

Gordon and I took a bus tour of New England about 25 years ago. When I lived in Las
    Vegas, Reno was the smallest capital city with a population of about 5,000. Now I see
    it is up to over 200,000. Well, it's been 45 years. I read Montpelier, Vermont, is now the
    smallest.

The capital of Kansas is not Smallville, Soul. But if it were, it would be the smallest. Just
    checked. GB is right; it's Topeka. Well, we can remember the song Judy Garland
    sang. "The Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe." Academy Award winning song.

Rock
  16. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Haha, Rock, that was a joke it being Smallville, I don't know if smallville even exists, when looking for toto in Kansas I found Smallville. It's the probably fictional place where Superman lives as the Kent family when he was undercover so to speak. Garlands song doesn't ring a bell to me but I had the same thought when seeing the M States about the singer vowels :p

I learned a song as a kid here that you can sing with every letter of the alphabet combined with a vowel. Goes like this:

B with an A, Ba
    B wih an E, Be
    B with an I, BI
    Ba Be Bi
    B with an O, Bo
    Ba Be Bi Bo
    B with an U, Bu
    Ba Be Bi Bo Bu

B can be replaced by any letter that isn't a vowel, it is a song I enjoyed a lot singing as a kid with all kinds of different letters. Going faster and faster. It's a tongue twister. I found one video on youtube but it's a kids class so won't post it here, might be meant as personal. But if you want to look it up look for 'B met de A Ba'
  17. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I thought Carson City was the capital of Nevada?
  18. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

GB, just checked the capital of Nevada. Wikipedia says Carson City. I lived in Nevada!
    I was sure it was Reno! Wow! My Alz is even worse than I thought.

Maybe I was thinking of Johnny Carson. Wasn't he the smallest of the Tonight show hosts?
    I read Carson City was named after Kit Carson. Maybe he was the smallest of the mountain
    men.

I think I'll go lie down for a while. I need a rest anyway. Just spent 10 minutes sweeping
    out the garage.

Soul, yes, I know Smallville was a joke. Superman was the smallest of the super heroes.

Oh yeah, I believe the capital of Montana is Wyoming. Reminds me of an old
    cartoon I saw half a century ago. Elegant and rather corpulent lady to a native
    of Utah. "Back in Boston we pronounce it Idaho." Or maybe it was the other
    way round.

Freida, Diane, I thought the capital of Maryland was Annapolis, but now I'm not sure of anything.

Rock
  19. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I think you're right about Annapolis, Maryland, Rock. On the spelling of Augusta, Maine. When I looked at that after I typed Agusta, I kept thinking something looked off but couldn't figure out what it was! lol
  20. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Is the Capital of Massachusetts Boston? I can't think of anything else except Bangor and that sure doesn't sound right. Oh, maybe Salem???