STATE CAPITALS No 3

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Mar 18, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here we go. State Capitals.

After we get all of them, we may want to post about state capitals that were changed
    over the years.

According to Wikipedia, our national capital has been 8 other cities besides Washington
    DC.

Rock

You're right, Soul, Forgot what I was doin'. A common practice nowadays.
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I agree Leah. Then we don't have to copy the state names over.
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Would it be a good idea to decide when to start a new thread and close out an old one? Maybe after 3 pages. That seems to be a good break point.

Also, if there is something currently going on and in the middle of guessing and it's the end of page 3, we could move the information over to the next thread, so we can pick up where we left off without having to type it over.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
    Soul* likes this.
  4. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Like what kind of hats we have to wear to sing a song and such right? :p
  5. rockgor

Hi Kids

I started a new thread because 2 pages has been the standard during the decade I've been
    here. Although we had one spectacular exception that went on for months. A year maybe.
    I'm too Alzheimery to remember with any great precision.

Anyhoo, I agree with Leah. We can do as we like. Here are some states that we
    haven't come to yet (I think).

Pennsylvania, Montana, Iowa, Michigan.

I know the capital of Iowa. It shows up in the crosswords.

Rock
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Okay, the M's are finished up on Board #2.

Here are the N's: New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Neveda, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Nebraska. The only one we didn't do was Nebraska I think. That's Lincoln.

Then: Ohio, Oregon, Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania,
    Rhode Island,
    South Carolina, South Dakota
    Texas, Tennessee (Nashville, answered by Diane)
    Utah
    Vermont, Virginia
    West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Is that it? Any guesses on any of these and we've done 'um all.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

Not sure if we are on page 2 or 3 now. But jumping ahead anyhow.

Can Nashville be Tennesee's capitol?

Love the looniness of these posts.:)
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I don't have a preference about ending the thread on a certain page. Just trying to wrap up whatever we're doing is what I was getting at.

If we're in the middle of something it's easier to finish up on that page than to retype or move it over. No problem.

I get confused easily and need simple! :)
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, What is the Capital of Iowa? Pennsylvania is, (I can't remember) !
  10. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Pennsylvania hmmmm Dracula lives there right? I can't remember the city he lived in. Sesamestreet! Count tell, what city is sesamestreet in.... hmmmmmmm not sure...
    windblade likes this.
  11. windblade

windblade Active Member

A state Capit0l that has changed is Minnesota: It is now officially Hibbing, birth place of Bob Dylan.

Changed from St.Paul, capitol of The Mary Tyler Moore show.

We missed all the official parades with floats, and huge balloon characters, and Mary Tyler Moore handing the city key to Bob Dylan who snarled and whined a thank you.
    With a cigarette tucked in the fret of his guitar.
  12. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Hmmm Pen Tran... slightly different LOL So sesamestreet isn't in PA? :p
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting that so many of the state capitals are not what we'd think they should be. Like New York City, NY, Los Angeles, CA, Detroit, Mich., Dallas or Houston Texas, Chicago, Ill., Nome, Alaska, Miami, Fla.

Those would make more sense to me. I wonder who or what decides which city will be the capital? And I would have thought Pittsburgh or Philadelphia for PA.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  14. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Somehow the song do you know the way to San Jose, comes back up :p
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Is it Des Moines Iowa, Oklahoma City, OK, and don't know Oregon.
  16. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna finish this up: See above.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  17. rockgor

Can't think of any more states or capitals.

We (well, some of us), memorized a lot of stuff when I was a kid. Used to know the states
    and capitals and the Presidents in order (course, there weren't quite as many) and the
    Books of the Bible and the counties in Minnesota (around 70) and the location and
    capitals of foreign countries, and lots of poetry.

Memorization was considered to be good for your brain. Kinda like working out in a
    gym is good for you body.

I don't know if kids memorize anything anymore. Maybe those abbreviations they tweet.

Rock
    (Stuck in the past)
  18. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Lyrics are still memorized Rock, that seems to be of all times ;)

I think I can guess some of the missing states...

South Carolina, South Dakota :)
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

We used to memorize a lot too. I learned all the state capitals, alll 48 of them. :)

I remember in Jr. High we had to memorize portions of Shakespeare and some other literary stuff. I had a hard time with "friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me you ears, etc."

Another one was a poem about "Water, water everywhere" I think that was the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
    We sang a lot in high school and in the church choir. I also loved classical piano music. Sometimes I just listen to the music in my head. I listened to Rachmaninoff's
    Piano Concerto #2 so many times when I was a teen that I practically memorized it.

I never learned to play piano but that was always a dream of mine.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015