State Capitals

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Mar 12, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Does anyone like to play word games? My grandmother and I used to play all kinds of games. She was a whiz at all games. She could beat anyone in checkers or rummy. Very smart lady.

When I had trouble sleeping at night she would lie down with me and we'd review state capitals. She knew them all.
    How about if we try to list each state in alphabetical order and then someone will fill in the capital. No peeking at maps! Anyone want to play?

Alabama:
  2. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Arkansas

I remember having heard a song about it that's only why I remember. :p Not bad for a Dutch girl aye :D

Alabama Arkansas..... dudu dudu dudu du.......
    .... me oh my your the apple of my eye... That's all I remember so good thing I saw this thread first ;) I don't think I would have been able to anything else though I might recollect more of the song when people post more States.

I love word games too. We always used to play games in long car rides and such. And it usually also works when kids start to get nasty with eachother. Ask them an animal with a ... and then take the last letter for a new animal. They get distracted, have to think for a second and the pressure is of the cooker :)
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Folks

When I was in High School my younger brother and I knew all the state capitals. We had
    a wonderful wooden map of the country. Each state was a separate piece. They all fit into a
    frame. The pieces were different colors and the capital was printed on each piece. In those
    days of course, there were only 48 states.

I'm sure the capital of Arkansas is Little Rock. Can't remember Alabama at all. BTW,
    I read that Governor Bill Clinton was paid only $40,000 per year. Well, Arkansas was
    a poor state. The current salary appears to be a little more than twice that. Now he
    makes more than either figure as a after dinner speaker.

What's next? Alaska and California? Good idea for a game, GB. And, yes, Soul, very good
    for a Dutch girl. Have you folks seen some of those on the street reporters asking people questions like who is our Vice President; what is the capital of Canada; what country did we fight to gain independence; what was the date of 9-ll. It is incredible to me that in a country with free education there is so much ignorance. BTW, the question about Canada was asked of students at Harvard. They failed miserably.

Rock

Wait! Montgomery, Alabama? Does that sound right? Yup; just checked.
    I remembered Birmingham, and that triggered Montgomery.
  4. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw those questions Rock, what is the last name of Obama and people would just go blanc LOL

I was real bad at Geography, we did learn the provinces and there capitals and the european countries and their capitals but since there is no logic in them I had a hard time remembering.
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I had one of those puzzles too, it was wood. I played with it for hours. That really helped me memorize my state capitals.

Soul. I remember memorizing the capitals of countries but now, some of them have changed.
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Yep, Little Rock Ark., Montgomery Ala., and what about Alaska and Calif.??
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I think the capital of CA is Sacramento and the capital of Alaska is Juneau.

Delaware is next...
  8. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Chicago not a state?

Haha, by the way I just realised the song I was reminded of by reading Alabama isn't a state song at all. It simply begins with Alabama Arkansa :p

It's the Home song

By the way another homebound bed bound activity that is easy to do in between is help search for the lost airplane. There is a website with satelite maps of the ocean where you can help search for strange objects on the maps.
  9. rockgor

Howdy

Delaware is Dover. Easy to remember because of the alliteration. My brother and
    his boys used to put out Halloween decorations that included fake tombstones.
    The "deceased" on one of them was "Ben Dover".

GB, you had one of those wooden puzzles too! I'm shocked. Never saw another one
    anywhere, anytime. Figured we had the only one in the universe. Yes, you're right
    about CA and AL.

Soul, I missed the "last name of Obama" quiz. Too funny! Funny and sad.

Colorado. Mikie might know. Connecticut.

Adios
    Rock
  10. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Haha Leah, just mention what you know, and pretend you thought they where next in line :p
    Noone is going to hold it against you, else I might beat you to it. I 'think' I know the captial of New York too :D And making up your own states is much more fun anyways ;)

Between Colorado and Conneticut the state of Confusion has been forgotten and I am absolutely positive that IS a state in the US. The capital is C :cool:

Whispers to Leah so that noone else can hear: By the way, Maine comes BEFORE New York :) Noone has to find out I told you it's our secret OK :rolleyes:
    freida likes this.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Salem, OR. I should know WA but for the life of me can't think of what it is right now.
  12. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I have trouble enough thinking up what the abv's mean. OR is Ontarrio right?
  13. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT: Do NOT watch if you want to come up with the states by yourself :p This is the song I mistook for the home song. The capitals are not in it but all the states are so do NOT watch if you want to come up with them on your own.... Mean huh :D

Are you SURE you want to watch it anyways???

REALLY????

OK then... :p

Oh by the way, a cute little three year old reminded me we forgot Arizona *cough* :D
  14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

No, OR is the state of Oregon on the west coast. Ontario (ON) is a province in eastern Canada. WA is Washington state, also on the west coast north of Oregon right below British Columbia (BC) Canada. I'm so used to using the abbreviations as I work in the trucking industry.
    Soul* likes this.
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I love all of this stuff you guys are posting. Especially the state of confusion. My homestate.

Where did we leave off? We left one out, was it Arizona? I think that's Phoenix.

After Deleware would be Florida (that really is my homestate).

Freida, I'm glad to see you posting. I was getting ready to ask about you. It doesn't matter if these are in order. Just jump in with any you know or want to guess at. All in fun.

Soul, I'll watch the video after we name all 50 states!

Rock, I too was surprised when you mentioned the states puzzle. The one I had was made of some kind of stuff like a very heavy cardboard maybe. I remember the states were different colors, had the capitals printed on them and I think there was someting else on each one, like maybe the state bird or flower. Can't remember.

Tigerlilea, The kitty in your avatar is so beautiful. We had a big Russian Grey kitty for 17 years. We lost him 4 years ago. He was the sweetest kitty in the world. His name was Smokey.

(I think the capital of Washington state is Olympia.) If we're confused now, wait till we get to the M's. There are about 7 or 8 states that start with the letter M.
  16. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Yes, Granni, Olympia is the capital of WA. And I knew that too, living close to the state. My brain doesn't always work too well these days. Sorry that I didn't realize we were supposed to be doing this in alphabetical order. o_O

My Russian Blue is named Bella. She is a long hair which I've been told is rare for this breed of cat. She is so friendly and likes to be around people. She doesn't shy away from strangers at all, unlike my last cat who didn't like outsiders near her. Seventeen years is a good long life for a cat!
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

TigerLilea, It's GB with the Russian Blue. My Smokey was a short hair. He was so sweet and shy. He didn't like strangers but was very loving with those he knew. One thing he didn't like was to sit on anyones lap. He liked to lie on your feet!

He developed feline diabetes about 2 years before he died. My husband gave him an insulin injection every day. He didn't even feel it.

Don't worry about doing the states in order, just jump in with one.
  18. rockgor

Well, I can't recall the capital of Connecticut, but I could recognize it. This illustrates there
    is more than one kind of memory. The capital of Florida is Tallahassee. (Had to look up
    the spelling.)

And then we have the Dakotas. North is Bismarck and South is Pierre. I know them
    'cause they're right next to Minnesota. Arizona is Tucson, I think.

Ha Ha! Went downstairs to get a glass of milk, and the capital of Connecticut popped into
    my head. It's Hartford. I shoulda remembered that. I used to work for Hartford Insurance
    Co. Maybe I repressed it because it was such a rotten employer.

GB, I don't think those state legislators have enough to do. They sit around and debate
    vital issues like: What should be the official state dance; insect; reptile; winter sport;
    bowling ball. If you put all that stuff on each piece of the puzzle, the puzzle would
    be bigger than those tiny New England States.

Freida, "A car in the State of Disrepair" reminds me of "Our Town" by Iris Dement.
    "Over there is where I bought my first car.
    It turned over once but then it never went far."

Well, Gang, glad to see we are all participating in these games. This will keep us from
    becoming juvenile delinquents.

Rock
    Soul* likes this.
  19. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Since I sneak previewed with the song, I will jump in try to guess capitals. Florida: Tampa? Not to sure about this one but for all I know I might be right :p

Edit: Oops I guess Rock beat me to it on Florida and it wasn't Tampa :D

I know for sure the state of confusion is in US because it touches each and every country on earth and yes for sure is bigger then Canada who's Capital (letter) happens to be C too :p

The capital of the state of Disrepair is TL I think... ;)

Haha Rock, took me a while but whilst rereading the posts I all of a sudden get the pun in Ben Dover :D

Tigerlilea don't worry, just mention the abvs, leaves me something to guess and I will learn something along the way too. And alphabetical order is all relative, not all alphabets are the same so you can get away with almost any order probably :D The Hindi alphabet for one has a completely different order.

Shakes hands with gb, howdy neighbour, I live in the state of confusion too :) Good idea to not watch the video yet. I was hesitant to post it but did anyways. Hope it doesn't spoil the fun for anyone. I can say I completely forgot all the states in it not long after listening and just remember the coughing and giggling :p
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  20. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Then theres Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, ...

Atlanta, Georgia
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014