State required mental and physical exam....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ldoty, Aug 13, 2008.

1. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I have applied for SSD for FM and depression
    and the state (IN) required I go for a mental and physical exam. I went for the mental exam. The doctor asked me questions such as what year it is, what day it is, name the last 2 presidents before Bush and Clinton, then he gave me 3 things to remember. After about 10 minutes of more questions, he asked me to name the 3 things he told me to remember. I could only remember 1.
    My medical exam consisted of a nurse taking my vitals, asked me when I was dx with FM and what problems I have due to FM. I then went to see the doctor and the only question he asked me was the last time I worked. He then tested my strenght by having me push up and down on his hands with my hands, push against his hands with my arms, raise my arms in the air, hold my arms outward, push my legs up and down against his hands and then he bent my legs up and out and lastly he had me squat down. He then told me he is only a third party and if SS needs any info they will contact me.
    How in the heck can he tell what I can and cannot do by this. This was the craziest test I have ever been through. Has anyone experienced this?
  2. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

I have. It's the standard test. I had that same test several times by several different doctors in several different cities. I've never understood how that test determines anything significant. They do that test for the initial exam and even after you get approved for SS you
    will be summoned periodically to a doctor to determine if you are still eligible for SS and they will do the same stupid test.

When I was examined by their docs I always answered the question according to what my worst days are like, not my better days. I took a calendar with me and circled the days that I was debilitated or bedridden and gave the doc a copy to put in my file. I deliberately do things to stir
    up the symptoms so the doc can see what a bad day looks like. This does not always work. When it doesn't work, I just describe what the bad days are like. And whatever you do, don't give up filing unless you get a miracle and you are totally healed of this disease. If you are not totally healed then you need your disability money. I was turned down two times; the third time I had to see a judge and he granted the SSDI. I nearly gave up but a friend of mine kept nagging me not to give up and I'm glad she did.

((((Prayers and hugs))))
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My rheumy does that physical test on me every appointment. He does to see if I have improved, to see what my muscle is like.

I imagine it is to see if you have the basic strength and ability to do any simply job or if you even have the muscle support to even sit or stand for long periods as some jobs would require. If you don't meet or just meet the basic they test for I imagine that would work well for you for SSDI.