States of the Union

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Jan 2, 2018.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

A long time ago we played a game where we listed states and tried to identify the capitals. For a new twist, we can scramble the name of the state and then post the capital.

Example: Difolar
    Answer would be Florida, capital is Tallahassee.
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Salinoaui
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey, GB!

The capital of Louisiana is St. Paul. Oh, no. That's the capital of Minnesota. I always get
    those two states confused. The capital of Louisiana is Baton Rouge although there have been others. I think they had three during the Civil War.

Baton Rouge BTW is French for Red Stick. The red stick, according to legend, marked the
    boundary between two Indian tribes. It reminded the hunters to stick to their own side.

Rock (Or Roche if you're French.)

That's kinda funny 'cause in my home town where most people had Norwegian ancestors
    (or Irish or German) we had some families with the surname Roche which we pronounced to rhyme with coach.
    gb66 likes this.
  4. rockgor

2. Shawgotinn

3. Tananom

Rock
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

2 Washington - Olympia
    3 Montana - Helena

4 tykunkec
    5 mvreton
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  6. rockgor

Well Done, Duckie.

Number 4 is Kentucky; capital Louisville. Here's a Kentucky ditty written by Stephen
    Foster. One of his seldom heard songs. All the instruments and voices are by Tom Roush.

Oops. I guess not. The Tom Roush video ends before the song does. Well, here's a version
    by Tom McCurdy.

Rock

gb66 likes this.
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Good game folks.

4. Kentucky is Frankfort

5. Vermont is Montpelier
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

6. lomaohka

7. ihwaia

8. swoniscni
  9. rockgor

Oops! I got number 4 wrong. Reminds me of an old riddle from half a century ago.
    Is the capital of Kentucky pronounced Lewis-ville or Looey-ville? ....Turns out it's
    pronounced Frankfort.

Well, this just emphasizes why I gave up driving about a decade ago. Can you imagine
    setting out for one city and ending up in a different after driving all day?

6. Oklahoma We know how to spell it because of the song. Capital is Oklahoma city.
    7 Hawaii, capital Honolulu

Gordon and I went to Hawaii, 50 years after Pearl Harbor. We've been in the capital building.
    It was only a shell; under construction. We also played in a bridge tournament.

My brother and I knew all the capitals when we were kids because we had a wooden puzzle with
    all the states and their capitals.

Here are a couple. I hope I got the anagrams right. It's pretty confusiatin these days.

9 Silklyeatact.
    10 SSScamethatus.

Oops! Again. I left out 8. Looks like Wisconsin. Capital is Madison. I know that one because
    I went to the U of Wisconsin there one summer in the 60s. Although the campus was
    downtown, it had lots of trees and even wild animals. You could often see squirrels,
    rabitts or chipmunks as well as various birds. I was astonished to find that the student
    union sold beer. And they had a great theater program with great sets. And the
    casts included former students. If they needed some older folks to do Our Town, they
    called up some former theater students who were the appropriate age.

Rock
  10. dmcduck

dmcduck Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, I could name all 50 states in (almost) alphabetical order, and I knew all their capitals. Now I have to think on it really hard. I'm actually terrible at anagrams!

Rock - I was going to call you out on the Kentucky capital using that joke. You beat me to it. :p

10 Massachusetts - Boston
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Is #9 Salt Lake City? Utah