static electricity problem (for real!)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Dec 5, 2002.

  1. BethM

    BethM New Member

    I suspect this has nothing to do with FMS, but I seem to be generating a lot of static electricity these days. Yesterday at work, while doing vision screening with the rest of the nursing team at one of our schools, I stood up from the plastic chair I was sitting in, stood on the wooden floor in my rubber soled shoes, and touched my vision screener, which was plugged into an extension cord along with another vision screener. Either it shocked me or I shocked it, but both machines went dark. The other one came back on, but after assessing mine today and talking to the rep at the company that makes it, a circuit that controls a sensor in the light system burned out. Sheesh. The machine is usable by using an override switch, but it will need to go in for repairs. At work I have to make sure I ground myself before I touch anyone, because I will shock them. Weird, huh? The floor in my office is linoleum, and I usually wear my New Balance walking shoes.

    I dunno, any ideas? I wasn't worried until my vision screener was damaged. This is not good!

    Puzzled,
    Beth.
  2. BethM

    BethM New Member

    I suspect this has nothing to do with FMS, but I seem to be generating a lot of static electricity these days. Yesterday at work, while doing vision screening with the rest of the nursing team at one of our schools, I stood up from the plastic chair I was sitting in, stood on the wooden floor in my rubber soled shoes, and touched my vision screener, which was plugged into an extension cord along with another vision screener. Either it shocked me or I shocked it, but both machines went dark. The other one came back on, but after assessing mine today and talking to the rep at the company that makes it, a circuit that controls a sensor in the light system burned out. Sheesh. The machine is usable by using an override switch, but it will need to go in for repairs. At work I have to make sure I ground myself before I touch anyone, because I will shock them. Weird, huh? The floor in my office is linoleum, and I usually wear my New Balance walking shoes.

    I dunno, any ideas? I wasn't worried until my vision screener was damaged. This is not good!

    Puzzled,
    Beth.
  3. bubblegum

    bubblegum New Member

    I shorted out 3 computers in one year because of the electricity running through my body. Lucky for me I had the warranties. I didn't realize it was me doing it until it happened to the 3rd one. It was plugged into a surge protector that was plugged into a grounded outlet. I used to burn out alot bulbs. Whenever I turned on a switch it always sparked. weird stuff. It hasn't been bad now for a while. I don';t know what was doing it.
    Ciao 4 now
    Sandy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]
  4. JaciBart

    JaciBart Member

    Put a pot of water on the stove & boil it for a few hours, just keep replenishing the water, let it come to a boil, then turn it down to just simmer.

    I have one of those little fountains in my living room and we never get shocked at home, it is just due to the dryness. The fountain needs to have water added about every 3-5 days, you cannot let it run dry or it will ruin the motor.

    Jaci
  5. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    I do have some problems with electricity, but not as bad as you mentioned. Its usually me that gets shocked.

    We had a big discussion on this a while back, but I don't know if it would still be in the backlog on the board.

    I have problems with wristwatches stopping, 14K and 18K gold turning black on my hands and wrist. I have blown out a few lightbulbs, and caused static on the radio, tv. But have not yet blew out something completely!

    I don't know who mentioned it, but I keep a vaporizer running most of the time for sinus, that could probably be the reason that its not too bad! I also boil water with salt in it in the morning, as for some reason it helps the Fibro fog.

    I have also had people jump when I touch them! I believe I read about this in one of Devin Starlanyl's books on Fibro, its quite common with us.

    Gee, we should all get together, we could 'light' up the world!

    Shalom, Shirl

  6. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    Back when floppy discs really were floppy, I could erase data just by touching a disc. Many of us seem to have electrical problems. This makes sense since our little power plants, the mitochondria cells, run on electricity and our mitochondria are broken or not working as they should.

    Love, Mikie
  7. BethM

    BethM New Member

    I appreciate the informtion. I think I will get a small fountain for my office, maybe that will help. The static is less of a problem at home. This hasn't been a problem before, and I hope it goes away soon! I can't continue breaking expensive equipment that I need for my job!

    electrically yours,
    Beth.