Statins and inflammation.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jan 13, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Since so many on this board deal with inflammation and the higher CRP levels,I thought this article would be appropriate on this board.

I just had a friend who is very thin and was absolutely astonished that her cholesterol level came back pretty high as well as her CPR levels. She eats a very healthy died, runs. Go figure.

Of course, it goes without saying that eating a healthy diet and being at a healthy weight is also a preventative.

I know I am being overly optimistic that if we prevent more heart disease, some doctors will look into our DD. But it can not stop me from dreaming,eh?

Study: 11M more should get statins

By Steve Sternberg, USA TODAY
    Millions more people should be taking cholesterol-lowering statins than doctors previously believed, a study suggests today.

The analysis of government data found that at least 80% of men older than 50 and women older than 60 should be taking a cholesterol-lowering drug, raising the total for whom the drugs are recommended to 44.7 million. That's an increase of more than 11 million people.

The study's lead author, Erica Spatz of Yale University, says her team's research, published in Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, provides a crucial piece of information for doctors who are now reconsidering statin treatment guidelines.

Her study represents a first step in a nationwide attempt to gauge the influence of a study called JUPITER, out in November. JUPITER, which involved 18,000 patients, showed that prescribing a statin for people with low cholesterol but who test positive for artery inflammation can cut in half the risk of heart attacks, strokes and deaths.

Doctors say the finding turned conventional wisdom on its head by suggesting that cholesterol-lowering drugs can save lives not just by lowering cholesterol but by cooling inflamed arteries.

That reduces the likelihood that fatty arterial plaques may burst, sending debris downstream to choke off the heart's blood supply. The test for inflammation betrays the presence of a telltale protein called C-reactive protein, or CRP.

Treating people with high CRP levels dramatically reduced the number of lives lost to heart disease and the number of costly and painful procedures needed to restore heart patients to health, says Paul Ridker of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, JUPITER's lead author.

Ridker and his team calculated that treating 5 million to 6 million people for five years would "translate very conservatively into 250,000 fewer angioplasties, surgeries, heart attacks, strokes and cardiovascular deaths in the United States," he says.

Spatz says her team did not attempt to calculate the number of lives that might be saved if more people were treated.

But the prospect of treating more people with statins raised concerns about the additional cost of cardiovascular prevention. James Stein of the University of Wisconsin calculated that treating an expanded pool of patients with the drug used in JUPITER, Crestor, would add $10 billion to the nation's medical bill, because the drug costs roughly $116 a month. For that price, he said, the drug would prevent about 28,000 heart attacks, strokes and cardiovascular deaths each year.

But doctors say there's no evidence that other statins wouldn't produce a similar benefit at a lower cost, especially with generic statins.

Ridker adds that critics are overlooking the cost savings in prevention, including a 50% reduction in angioplasties over two years.

"My view is that it's more important to stress the events you prevent and the lives you save," Ridker says.

[This Message was Edited on 01/13/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2009]
  2. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

My son-in-law is only 35 and his cholestol was 8.1.

His doc put him on statins(I cannot remember the name now)and he ended up SO ill!!!

I looked into it at the time and the muscle problems and pain he was suffering from were horrendous.Even after he stopped taking them he never got rid of his pains.
    He has worked as a builder since he was 16 and is NEVER EVER off work.
    This put him off for ages and my daughter had to put up with so much because he was not used to being ill or being in pain so she bore the brunt of it all.

I looked up on web and it said the drugs that he was on can cause symptoms similar to fibromyalgia............I prayed that he did not have this awful illness because he is so active that it would kill him!!

They went to live in Spain for 6 months so see if the warmer weather would help and also they did not have to work.

He said it was better .................BUT......he still suffers with the pain.

I think all meds ....can cuse serious problems with our health.

Take care

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am so sorry that your son in law developed symptoms similar to fibromyalgia after starting the statins.

This was the first thing my doctor took me off of when I was diagnosed and it did not help with the FM. I had been on Statins for years and until I broke my arm, did not have the pain. Getting back on them did not change the pain. However, this is what happened in my case.

Absolutely all medications have side effects and we have to weigh the pros and cons of side effects vs. health gains.

I know that on the commercials they always say to watch out for muscle problems when taking Statins.

He wasn't by chance on an antibiotic like Cipro at the time, as these can also cause muscle damage as a few people on this board have experienced. Is his doctor saying it was the statins?

It is hard enough for us to have this DD but it is awful when our children get sick too.

My greatest fear is that my daughters will get this.

My thoughts are with you.

Take care.

ETA His cholesteral was 8.1? Are you sure that is not something else.Coulf it have been the CRP number? I have never heard of a number like this for Cholesterol. Is this metric?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2009]
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Dr. Chaney, eh?

Think I will go with what my doctor tells me to do. If I do not take my statins I am more likely to die of a heart attack than cancer.

This study is much more recent than what Cheny is talking about. The other study was 1996!! What happens when animals are given statins may not transfer to humans. There have been a lot of advancements in 12 years.

His statements have not been supported by other studies about the cancer. This was 12 years ago and I do not think his predictions have come true.

This is not a debate about whether or not you should take Statins. If you want to debate the need for statins, start another thread. Taking Statins is a personal choice.

We have be careful about posting outdated material as it can be misinformation.

Read the article and take some CoQ10.

[This Message was Edited on 01/18/2009]
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

An excess of omega 6, a lack of omega 3 and not enough antioxidants are the things mostly responsible for inflammation. And bad cholestrol is just cholesterol that has come in contact with free radicals. Cheney's right, cholesterol is used by the body to patch arteries and trying to lower it by using a drug that we know depletes coq10 is just asking for serious trouble. Peroxynitrite is the most harmful free radical there is, it causes tissue damage.

Inflammation and high bad cholesterol are both alleviated with simple dietary adjustments and supplements. It's very easy to consume too many omega 6s and believe you are eating healthy at the same time.

Lipitor and drugs like it work by inhibiting the enzyme needed to manufacture cholesterol in the liver. This is typical of drug companies, their rush to get a patentable substance makes it irrelevant what the drug does, only the end results shown by THEIR testing is what matters. Then they get Poison Control Central, aka the FDA, to tell people what poisons and how much of them they are allowed to ingest so the poisoner doesn't get sued. These drugs also block production of coq10, crucial for energy and heart health, so for them to say that they are preventing heart troubles by the use of statin drugs is a joke no matter what their obviously skewed test results show.

Anyone with high cholesterol should check out the insulin/cholesterol connection, too.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yeah, right. As someone said earlier, poppycock!! We have different theories. I will go with the medical community.

Please read my post above yours. We must have posted at the same time.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My toes are fine. :~) I don't take things personally. Too negative.

You are absolutely right that we have a responsibility to give out information pro or con.

People still have freedom of choice.

If you want to debate whether people take statins, go ahead. Not the end of the world.

I posted this article because it is an updated scientific study. I try to keep up with the latest research.

8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

... has been critical of the Jupiter study, which was funded by AstraZeneca.

JUPITER did not study statins in general. The study's results are specific to AZ's statin product, Crestor.

Criticisms of the JUPITER study include subject selection and conflict of interest. The lead investigator of the Jupiter study, Paul Ridker, is the patent owner of the CRP test on which the results are based. This latter tidbit was not disclosed on publication of the study, but was unearthed by others.

Because of the subject selection issues & undisclosed conflicts of interest, some clinicians look critically at JUPITER's results, its conclusions, and any secondary analyses that flow from it.

It may be that this research is part of the "truth that is out there, somewhere," but not everyone is hopping on board.

So, there are differing opinions in the medical community, as to the true value of JUPITER.

Sometimes, popular news analysis of medical research is written in such a way to give the impression that certain research conclusions are broadly accepted by other professionals is the medical & scientific world.

IME there's a lot of disagreement about a lot of stuff in that medsci world. And where there is unanimity, it's often a fleeting, ephemeral thing.

I like to keep up with the latest research as well. However, I think it's important to be aware of the potential limitations of that research.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2009]
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have no idea how accurate the above is, as I have not had time to process it, but I think it definitely deserves some more investigation.

This is why I feel it is very important to know how to analyze the information given to us and using critical thinking skills.

By posting studies, getting feedback, people start digging, come up with more info.

This can only be helpful in the long run.

gap[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2009]